1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Brian_C

Brian_C

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I'm looking for ideas and hints on how to keep various insects such as spiders and flies still when photographing. I’ll normally photograph them in the house. They keeping running away or moving. I’ll sometimes place a fly in a tub and put into the freezer, but they don’t be too long about warming up and starting to move.

2. MatBin

MatBin

Name:
    matt
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    You have hit the nail on the head, they are cold blooded so as soon as they warm up they move. So, best time/place is outside before it warms up, is this not an option?

3. mjmountain

mjmountain

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Personally I photograph them outside in nature, "capturing" them is part of the fun and frustration.

I guess you could put a freezer block under your tub?

4. alfbranch

alfbranch

Name:
    Alf
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Some people put them in the fridfge to cool them down some people kill them.

I do neither I chase them round in the wild and stalk them. Thats my choice.

5. alfbranch

alfbranch

Name:
    Alf
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
  6. Brian_C

Brian_C

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    No
  7. alfbranch

alfbranch

Name:
    Alf
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I am not doing that it's not my thread just one I remembered.

8. Orangecroc

Orangecroc

Name:
    Ben
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Half the fun is spotting them and getting the shot. Chasing dragonflies is frustrating but equally the rewarding feeling when you get a shot is far greater for it.

alfbranch likes this.
  9. GardenersHelper

GardenersHelper

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    It's a personal choice of course, but I always photograph my subjects where I find them. I wouldn't feel comfortable capturing them and subjecting them to unnatural conditions. Besides which, photographing them in their natural environment gives lots of different compositional opportunities, and behavioural ones too.

10. john.margetts

john.margetts

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    When dead, they look very different - actually, they look dead! To produce a half-decent picture you need them alive and well. As others have said, patience is all you need.