keeping number from old phone?

Giffgaff should be able to supply a new sim with all the old details on it for a small fee.

Don't know if this helps but when I bought a smartphone the bloke in the shop took my old SIM card put it in a machine and clipped bits off it and then put it in the new phone.

Dave

my wife did try to set this up for me awhile back but give up, she had a new replacement sim from giffgaff that will fit Iphone
she activated the new sim in Iphone, which works, but its her number on it not mine? where do i go on iphone settings to change number?

A SIM card has a number assigned to it. If you mean change the phone number that appears as your number on the iPhone, go to settings then phone.

Don't know if this helps but when I bought a smartphone the bloke in the shop took my old SIM card put it in a machine and clipped bits off it and then put it in the new phone.

Dave
This is what I had to do when I changed my phone. Try one of the local phone repair shops where you are and they should be able to cut your SIM. My one charge me a £1.

The other option would be to get in touch with your mobile provider and ask for a micro SIM, they will charge you for a new SIM.

Cut the simm down down with a sharp pair of scissors, I've done loads. The simm chip is the same. If you don't want to do that then go on Amazon and buy a cheap simm clipper.

Well I don't know what network you lot are on, but the one I work for does replacement SIMs free of charge. I'd never recommend cutting a SIM down. Just get a new one!

Cut loads of sims, works fine.

Well I don't know what network you lot are on, but the one I work for does replacement SIMs free of charge. I'd never recommend cutting a SIM down. Just get a new one!

Agreed, Giffgaff are one of the easiest for sim swaps, any new unactivated Giffgaff sim can be used (and they supply spare sims completely free of charge).

dont need to cut card , but couldn't anyway, the chip on my sim card, was much bigger than the whole card on iphone.
I just need my number switched over.
Contact GiffGaff and ask for a sim card for the phone, they will send you one.

dont need to cut card , but couldn't anyway, the chip on my sim card, was much bigger than the whole card on iphone.
I just need my number switched over.

Just get another Giffgaff sim card, (any one that is not activated from anywhere) and do the sim swap as linked to further up in the thread.

All Giffgaff sim cards have been hybrid tri-size sims for s couple of years now (you can just push out the middle for the nano sim).

If you don’t have a spare lying around, order the sim here: https://www.giffgaff.com/free-sim-cards

Last edited:
As said, order a giffgaff sim online for you or anyone, usually comes next, Pop out the nano dime, insert in iPhone and go online to keep old number. Easy peasy and giffgaff help forums are helpful.
Trick here was to order the SIM before trying to swap :-(

As said, order a giffgaff sim online for you or anyone, usually comes next, Pop out the nano dime, insert in iPhone and go online to keep old number. Easy peasy and giffgaff help forums are helpful.
Trick here was to order the SIM before trying to swap :-(
I thought that the number would be the same? aw gawd , here i go again:( I only wanted to change phones,
when i change over to wifes Iphone do i need to notify apple? really confused :confused:
her phone is open to any network.

I thought that the number would be the same? aw gawd , here i go again:( I only wanted to change phones,
when i change over to wifes Iphone do i need to notify apple? really confused :confused:
her phone is open to any network.

A SIM swap means you keep the same number.

You don’t need to notify Apple. It’s your phone.

thanks mate, not up on things like this, I wouldn't have bothered, if i hadn't dropped my phone in pond.

It’s really simple.

From the Giffgaff site:

What do I do when my new SIM arrives?
First, you'll need to activate your new giffgaff SIM. You can do this by clicking below. During the activation process you'll automatically be asked if you want to replace your existing SIM with the new one.

https://www.giffgaff.com/activate

Your new SIM will keep your existing phone number and any goodybag and/or top-up credit you have.

Before you start read the information below:

• It can take up to 24 hours for a SIM swap to complete (but it’s usually quicker). And you will lose service while it's processing.
  • SIM swap is not available between 9.30pm and 4.30am.
  • If you’ve recently requested to move your number to or from giffgaff, please don’t try to swap your SIM.

thanks for that, i didnt realise ,just done it and it works, thanks very much.

I would still suggest doing the sim swap when the new one arrives, some phones can have occasional issues with the contacts of the sim touching the metal of the sim holder (obviously only if the holder is metal) which doesn’t happen with a proper nano sim.

Back