Critique Keepsakes

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
My Wifes Uncle passed away at the end of last year. We didnt know him too well. We just seen him at Christmas and funerals.
There didnt seem to be any (Major) family rift he just seemed happy to be living on his own.
By all accounts he was a quite a character. He liked to travel and went on many holidays, all on his own. He also loved Blackpool and for many years travelled via bus from Oldham in Manchester to Blackpool had lunch at his favourite cafe and came back "3 times a week" ! Anyways without going into a lot of family history which would be boring I'll just leave this photo here.

We had to clear his little terraced house out as it was rented. There were LOTS and LOTS of stuff he seemed to keep a certain cheap store in business. Most things unopened !
There were also many items including some very old photographs letters postcards souvenirs.

Liking photogrpahy I thought I may be able to take some photos of some of this stuff.
I found it quite hard to come up with a display I thought looked ok.

Apologies for the long read but I thought the photo would make no sense without it.

All feedback is welcomed. On any aspect. Compostion angles. Anything really as I'd like to do more.IMG_8618 Ray Keepsakes 2.jpg

Gaz

I think it's a great idea and the story does add to give a context.
As for the photo itself, I'd like to see a bit more of the background on the right hand side, for me it's a little dark. I like the composition.

I think it's a great idea and the story does add to give a context.
As for the photo itself, I'd like to see a bit more of the background on the right hand side, for me it's a little dark. I like the composition.
Thanks for the feedback Dominic. I really appreate your time.
I'm happy that the set up looks ok, as I did find it quite difficult to get something I was happy with.
I do see where you are coming from regarding the background.
The backdrop is the rear of a wine crate which I do like as it is quite dark and moody. I did try to light the set up that way but at some point began to think that maybe the background might be a distraction.
If I still have the raw file I will have a look to see how much of the crate is visable on that side. The crate was only just big enough to fit the contents accross.
I could maybe lighten that area up and see how that looks.

Your feedback is invaluable I have replied in a way as to let you know my thought process when taking the image.
Hope that makes sense.

Gaz

I would have added a small pic of your uncle to the front instead of the little white card.

I like it Gary. Nicely lit and carefully composed. It shows care and thought which comes through in your words.

I read the text before looking at the image, and like Joan says, I think a photo of him would have been nice - esp if he's in one of those old photos we can't quite make out the detail of. You're right in that without the supporting text, it would have appeared to be a bit of a haphazard still life. However a title simply like "Uncle John" would (I think) have added just enough to get a viewer thinking. I did enjoy the story though!

On a very minor note, I wasn't expecting the items that you included in the photo. I was expecting bus tickets, cafe menus, old photographs I could see, and maybe something unopened. Not saying the items you chose weren't relevant, it's just that they didn't match up with your description of him in my opinion.

I do like it though, and I like the fact that you chose (and took the time) to do it.

I would have added a small pic of your uncle to the front instead of the little white card.
Hi Joan. That does seem obvious now you come to mention it !
He is on the small photo up front but as Ian says below not that visable from this angle.
The white card is from a Blackpool guest house which we assume he must have used at some point.
Great feedback.

Thanks

On a very minor note, I wasn't expecting the items that you included in the photo. I was expecting bus tickets, cafe menus, old photographs I could see, and maybe something unopened. Not saying the items you chose weren't relevant, it's just that they didn't match up with your description of him in my opinion.

Hiya.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Yes I may have mislead you there. I sort of didnt want to waffle to much whilst also wanting to say something about Uncle Ray and the image.
Looking at the photo I should have thought a bit more about the description and title.
We didnt think he was religoius but his parents were. He possessed at least 3 bibles maybe they had been passed down to him. He seemed to like Theater / shows as he had many show brochures. Postcards from various countries, Blackpool business card, photos and letters.
Your correct there were many bus timetables sooooo many.
There are many old photos most folk we have no idea whom they are. That said they are very intresting to view. The era taken and the fashions. I must say lots of them are far better than I take now !!!
I have also taken some photos of them.

Really happy people have replied as it will help me take better arrangments.

Hopefully !

Mind you I do tend to miss the obvious most times.

Gaz

Last edited:
Back