weekly 2021 TP52 - week 52 - SHOWCASE (sort of)

Playing catch-up on some comments!

Culture
Iceland sounds a fantastic place to visit. A great variety of images, my favourite is the cathedral within its environment

Living
Personally I would prefer more contrast although it's maybe just the fact that the foreground and geyser are similar in colour. Must be an amazing sight to witness.

Still Life
A great spin on the theme with the bowl of apples. Could have been interesting to have the same spanning across the devices.

Minuscule (or miniscule)
Apparently the original spelling is the u version but the i seems to be appearing more often. All your images suit the theme well but I like the clean lines of the propelling pencil helped by the shadowing.

Season(al)
I can just imagine the electricity meter whirring round with all those lights, since it's for charity I would hope they get some deal for the power. There appears to be close-knit :) groups up and down the country who have taken to decorating the post boxes. Any time I see them they make me smile.

This is a strange one as I'm not sure this would even qualify as the best image I took that night, but this was a really odd co-incidence - which makes it my SHOWCASE.

So we were in Iceland and had hoped to see the Northern Lights. For three nights on the trot, we didn't even see a glimmer.

On the last night, we went out in hope more than anything else and lucked out as a line of green appeared literally parallel to the drive of the house we were staying in.

Couldn't believe our luck.

We'd been so convinced we wouldn't see anything, my camera and tripod were already packed and I had to go unpack. Unfortunately, I hadn't pre-googled the settings and had assumed the best way to capture them would be a low ISO and high f-stop and a 20-30 second shutter speed.

Googled it afterwards and I should have done literally the opposite. Shoot as wide as possible, to keep the shutter speed as fast as possible and let the ISO go as high as it needs.

Though I have to say, they all looked great in-camera, so I didn't even experiment with trying anything else. My problem with them is that it was relatively windy, so any trees/bushes moved around a lot and everything looks blurry. I'll know for next time...if there is a next-time.

Anyway, the pictures did not do the experience justice - we were treated to a light show that lasted well over an hour, and just as we were thinking about heading back inside, my friend (whose 50th birthday it was THAT DAY) said,

"Well that's just about perfect, all we need now is for them to spell out 50 and it will be."

Almost everyone else went in, but I couldn't tear myself away. Suddenly, my other mate said

"It looks like a five-zero - quick, get a picture."

And so I did.

You might have to use your imagination a little bit, but it's pretty damn close. And I swear, there's no photoshop work to make it look any more like 50.

Northern Lights by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Looks like 50 to me, you should buy a lottery ticket! :)

Nice finish Kell :)

Great back story. I have to say it is an amazing sight and well worth a showcase.

Back