weekly 2021 TP52 - week 52 - SHOWCASE (sort of)

Loving the minimalist look, assume you keep in the theme in the back of your head just in case you come across a potential image

Like it, nice and simple, minimalistic. Good for the theme too.

Just to echo what everyone else has said, love the minimalistic look, bang on theme. Good work.

Nice photo, the mist certainly adds to the atmosphere of it as has been said previously very reminiscent of the War of the Worlds film

Stone: very hard to choose. The colours in it are lovely, but I also like the last two Warhol style images.

Tall: very nice minimalistic image with just enough detail.

Really nice minimalistic and simple image. Very atmospheric with the mist. Part of me wants to see a B&W version with the contrast tweaked a bit but it's very hard to tell at these low resolutions how it would look. Nice work.

Really nice minimalistic and simple image. Very atmospheric with the mist. Part of me wants to see a B&W version with the contrast tweaked a bit but it's very hard to tell at these low resolutions how it would look. Nice work.

I did try a version of another shot in B&W - but for me I felt it lost a little something. The one I posted above does actually have the vibrancy and saturation knocked back a bit (because they can be quite odd colours those streetlights) so that it's got enough colour to show it's colour - if you know what I mean.

374A1126 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Loving the minimalist look, assume you keep in the theme in the back of your head just in case you come across a potential image

Some weeks I'm lucky in that something comes up and an idea sparks right away, others I have to work at (and often stretch the definition a fair bit...)

Really simple, clean image well done.

Tall
It really did spread the light. A really good minimalist shot.

I love that. It's almost a photo of nothing, and yet it conveys so much.

I much prefer the mono version. It really captures the misty evening vibe.

Week 05 - Snapper's Choice

Couldn't have had tow more different days in terms of light this weekend. Saturday, the sun shone for a fair bit of it, but we didn't have anything planned, whereas Sunday was flat and grey all day and we had walk planned.

So the tulips were sat on our kitchen table when the sun hit them and lit them up. I was deliberately trying for a 'fill the frame' technique

374A1279-Edit by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

374A1214 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

And then spotted this relief on the stables on Waddesdon Manor.

374A1445 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

I did originally think it would look best in B&W, but I prefer the separation the colour in the background gives it.

374A1445 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
For me I think the colour has too much punch & distraction to it and the black & white version works much better. Just my opinion though!

Those tulips are really nice the way the light is hitting them from the back. The contrasting red & green looks lovely. A fine photograph.

Top gargoyle for me. The colour adds interest and adds framing to the face. Contrasty processing works well.

All nice images and any one of them could have been used. the colour gargoyle works well for me as there just seems to be a tiny bit more interest in it, for some reason.

All nice images and any one of them could have been used. the colour gargoyle works well for me as there just seems to be a tiny bit more interest in it, for some reason.

I tend to agree. I'm a fan of contrasty, gritty B&W images of stonework as it brings out the texture, but I liked that the colour of the background helped isolate the face.

That first tulip pic is quite striking. The light is harsh but I love the framing.

Gargoyle in colour for me.

Choice
The first Tulip shot is really nice, lovely back light.
It's the black & white relief for me. It's more gritty.

Week 06 - Pair.

I thought I was going to have to rely on some 'historical shots' for this. Which were these two:

This giraffe with 'a nice pair of balls'.

TP52: WK06 - Pair. 02 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Or a right couple of Bastets - which are outside our office at work. (Not that I'm there to take a shot this year.)

TP52: WK06 - Pair. 01 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

I was trying to get a shot of the birds in our garden (going for the comedy gold that would have been 'a pair of tits' so I bought this pair of bird feeders to attract them. But since I've installed them in the tree, I've not had my camera to hand when there are birds there. The irony being, as I was up a ladder putting up the first one, a great tit was about four branches away...

As it's the only one I've deliberately shot for the theme, it's my submission - even though I prefer the giraffe.

TP52: WK06 - Pair. 03 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

The only other one that occurred to me when when I stopped our cat bring a mouse into the house and thought I could have gone with the classic pair of Tom and Jerry.

TP52: WK06 - Pair. Tom and Jerry by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

That made me laugh... so I can lay claim to the "tit shot" :D
Birds usually take a little while to get used to new feeders so they'll probably be full by Thursday!!
A nice set of images but I love the Tom and Jerry option.. that expression is classic "how good am I??"

That made me laugh... so I can lay claim to the "tit shot" :D
Birds usually take a little while to get used to new feeders so they'll probably be full by Thursday!!
A nice set of images but I love the Tom and Jerry option.. that expression is classic "how good am I??"

He was most put out when I wouldn't let him in.

The pair of bird feeders is a fine image, nicely focused, lovely rich colours.

Tom and Jerry for me as well. Shame you couldn't get any birds on the feeders, they do seem to take a while for the birds to arrive regularly. Sure it will come in useful for future themes as well.

Not being a Cat person (they leave some right stinky mess in our front garden) I prefer the G. Raffe one, more colours and not some thinh I see every day.

Pete

Pair
It's the cast for me. I like the nice, slightly distorted close up.

Week 07 - depict a film

Silent Running.

This is a film that had a huge impact on me as a kid. Essentially, plant life on earth is dying and they try and preserve some of it in gigantic space freighters with huge bio-domes.

Any, this weekend I was filming some bits and pieces at a vertical farm (Where plants are grown using specific weather recipes) - and it reminded me of Silent Running.

Managed to sneak off some shots from some BTS stuff for our client.

374A1502.jpg374A1503.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting stuff. We've got a vertical farm here too - fascinating!

Back