weekly 2021 TP52 - week 52 - SHOWCASE (sort of)

Heavens, when I first saw the bones I thought you had had Easter bunny for dinner! o_O

That would have been a b-i-i-i-i-i-g bunny.

OIP.YtcIcgf5BVE4YY91miKAmAHaFm

You don't eat it; it eats you!!!

Excellent idea.. and extremely well executed. I prefer the poses in #1

Great Idea, and really nicely done!

I think the first breathes a little better, but for me it's not the addition of the extra you that brings the second shot down, but the fact that the extra you hides the other you.
I can't really offer any technical crit, as I wouldn't know where to start doing a shot like this!

That’s really clever, definitely the first for me as well the one with the extra you looks a little cluttered. Well done

Easter
I like the top down shot. Looking at this now make me want a roast lamb dinner.

Fab effort! No1 for me :)

Thanks all - I've wanted to do one of these multi-exposure shots for a while.

Learnings for me would be to really think about the sequence and the series of actions before starting, i.e. Far right - asleep, then wearing old shoes but looking at new shoes, then trying new ones on, then leaping as the last one on the left.

If we have time on the photographer's choice, I might try it again, but I was pretty pleased as it's the first time I've done it.

Both stepping up to the challenge :D

That title made me chuckle - it's a bird rave! :ROFLMAO:

Edit: I missed your spring shot - great idea and well executed. I think I prefer no. 1 too - for the snoozy shot in the middle :)

Last edited:
Dancing birds, very witty and well-captured.

Two lovely shots... and both definitely raised a smile. Very well caught and matched.

Snappers choice
I quite like how you've presented them.
I particularly like the Robin, the oof background of the yellow leaves, wicker chair and table, show how these birds are quite happy to cohabit with humans.

Week 16 - Out and About:

Bit of a mega upload this week. I almost went with the eagle as I like the shot and am almost happy with the composition, but by the same token, we chose to do that walk as we knew it would take us past them so we we knew they were going to be there.

The plane on the other hand was a complete surprise and that's why I chose that as my submission.

On a recent walk past a Golf Course near us, we saw these driftwood sculptures. If my golfing prowess is anything to judge this by, they wouldn't last long with me swinging a club around...

( HOME :: Harleyford Golf Club - in case anyone's wondering)

I should really have cropped or cloned the slight bit of path off this one before uploading. Didn't spot it before, but now can't unsee it. It would have been great if the lion was facing the other way (couldn't get round the other side or I'd have been on the fairway). But talking of not spotting things, it wasn't until I processed it that I spotted the lioness.

374A2241 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

That shark on the left has definitely seen me hit a golf ball.

374A2249-Pano by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr.

374A2261 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Then we happened to hear a prop plane in the sky messing about and saw this come dive-bombing out the sky.

374A2282 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

374A2283 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

374A2284 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

374A2285 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

374A2286 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice shot of the plane - but I love the Lions!

looks like the pilot needs to be out of his plane, nice to see the other shots as well, the lions age really good.

Pete

Those are some mad sculptures you've got there, I particularly like the vulture. Good catch on the plane which is well-exposed; did you have to consider the bright background to stop the plane becoming only a dark shape or is your camera being clever?

Those sculptures are beautiful!

I hope the plane made it out of that dive. Spectacular to see! I spotted a spitfire on my walk yesterday but sadly it is a dot in the sky!

I do enjoy your out & about stuff as it was my stomping ground when I was growing up. Just been to Google maps to find my old [very tiny] house in Marlow.

Nice selection for your entry IMO. That blue sky though!

Those are some mad sculptures you've got there, I particularly like the vulture. Good catch on the plane which is well-exposed; did you have to consider the bright background to stop the plane becoming only a dark shape or is your camera being clever?

It was absolutely the camera being clever, not me. As I wasn't set up for shooting planes, I hadn't thought about anything. I tend to shoot on AV and only go to full manual if I want to force the camera to do something specific. I do it like this as it means you rarely get caught out, but it does make me a bit lazy...

Obviously there was a bit of luck in that I wasn't shooting into the sun, And you can recover the background a bit in post if it's over-exposed.

I had the aperture at 5.6 and the camera did the rest. If I'd had more than one shot at it, I'd have slowed the shutter speed down to get some movement on the prop. I only had a 70-200, so the 1/1000 shutter speed was a bit quick and froze the action.

I do enjoy your out & about stuff as it was my stomping ground when I was growing up. Just been to Google maps to find my old [very tiny] house in Marlow.

Nice selection for your entry IMO. That blue sky though!

Ah nice. Would love to be able to afford to live in Marlow as it's such a beautiful place. We're not too far away by the Wycombe Air Park.

Ah nice. Would love to be able to afford to live in Marlow as it's such a beautiful place. We're not too far away by the Wycombe Air Park.
It was a temporary rental for 6 months. 1 bedroom "house" on Berwick Rd. Literally couldn't swing a cat in there! £600/month and that was 30 years ago!

Had school friends who lived up in Booker. Used to get up to mischief up there in the olden days :)

It was a temporary rental for 6 months. 1 bedroom "house" on Berwick Rd. Literally couldn't swing a cat in there! £600/month and that was 30 years ago!

Had school friends who lived up in Booker. Used to get up to mischief up there in the olden days :)

I used to live in Maidenhead, in a top floor two-bedroomed Maisnonette. We bought it for 78k in 1998 sold it for 115k in 2002 and now on Zoopla the same maisonettes are going for 280k !!! We moved to Cornwall, just as well we don't want to move back.

I used to live in Maidenhead, in a top floor two-bedroomed Maisnonette. We bought it for 78k in 1998 sold it for 115k in 2002 and now on Zoopla the same maisonettes are going for 280k !!! We moved to Cornwall, just as well we don't want to move back.

I'm surprised you could afford Cornwall TBH.

My wife's from North Devon and we've looked at moving down there, and would probably need better jobs to afford something similar to what we have here. Especially anywhere near the coast.

The sculptures are beautiful. Hats off to their creator.
Well done with the plane.. I probably wouldn't have been quick enough off the mark to capture it!

Out and about
The Eagle is a stunning bit of woodworking, but I do like the shot you've chosen of the plane.

Very enjoyable set of images Kell. They tell a bit of a story in themselves.
The sculptures are something else, such talent by the artist. The plane shots work well too against that blue sky.
Good work.

Week 17 - Shapes + Negative Space.

First couple are of a porthole and decoration on the side of a Narrow boat.

5D3_2810 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

5D3_2810-2 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

These were just of the top of a gate. I processed the second one two ways as I wondered if it was less about the detail and more about the shape.

In the end, I really preferred the graphic nature of the one on the main thread.

5D3_2850-HDR by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

5D3_2850 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Shapes
It works really well. Super simple, just two colours and two shapes, but it just works.

The shot of the plane is great there is a real sense of speed. The exposure is spot on too whenever I try and take these shots the plane is either too dark or the sky is overexposed, I like picture for shapes too it fits the theme but it would have to be the last one for me it just seems simpler.

Well spotted for your narrowboat shot - really simple and perfect for the theme. Suddenly Rosie and Jim have popped into my head - that kid's programme.

I like the silhouetted ironwork too.

Back