weekly 2021 TP52 - week 52 - SHOWCASE (sort of)

Week 10 - Rough

I knew there were a few rough and ready signs on one of our usual walks. Be a shame if they ever update these.

I've taken a picture of this before - in better light - so although it could have worked, it's not my favourite.

374A1812 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Quite liked this one.

374A1799 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

But this was my favourite.

374A1562 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Tis Grim Up North :p

I like all three. I suppose the first is best, unobstructed simplicity wins.

A nice selection of old signs, a bit rough from weathering Kell

Definitely rough.

I think the less busy background of the first increases attention on the subject, but I love the sign in the second shot. You've never got a hacksaw when you need one!

I prefer your chosen shot. #1 would be great with some light on it to bring out the rust but unfortunately that's the one thing we can't keep in the kit bag!

Rough
I'm not sure if I'd want to be mooring my boat (if I had one) there. It doesn't look too looked after. It fits the theme well.

I think the first is the most thematic (rough sign and rough texture) and with, as David says, a less cluttered composition. Your choice is less thematic for me, but more dramatic. Well done for getting three images out!

3 nice images but number 1 is my favourite, nice clear background but the Hawthorn (looks like Hawthorn to me) branch arching over the top gives it a slightly spooky feel too.

Week 11 - Smooth.

Mixed bag this week.

I didn't have any time over the weekend to go and and shoot anything.

So had a little stroll this morning and found myself looking over the M40 from one its busier junctions (JCT4 - Handy Cross). I guess we have lockdown to thank for the fact that the traffic was flowing smoothly this morning.

374A1912 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

374A1970 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

When I was younger, I didn't know what the point of these were. Then I realised it's to help blind people differentiate a designated crossing from the surrounding smooth pavement:

374A1979 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

But this is my submission. An every day occurrence for me as I check that I've not missed any bits and my head is nice and smooth:

Clearly, it's a phone shot. I did try it with a 'proper' camera but it was too big and got in the way.

IMG_9608 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Nice smooth set Kell, and TBH I didn't know about the bumpy pavement either.
Every days a school day.

Smooth works well for the theme. I love that you've managed one million reflections within your phone too. More interesting than a camera shot would have been.

I did know about the bumpy pavement :) They also have vibrating thingys at crossing don't they? So you can put your hand on it and tell when it's safe to cross? Or did I make that up?

Hah. Smooth head. And that does look smooth!

Handy Cross was a bit of a blast from the past. Used to walk round it every day when I was at school at John Hampden walking down to "the new Asda" (which may not even be there any more!) A busy roundabout for sure.

An infinity shot. Fits the theme well. At the moment I am sorely tempted by that sort of haircut!

Fab, creative idea. I do many things for the 52s, but I draw the line at shaving my head.

Rough
The chosen image is definitely my favourite, it looks like a backdrop for a horror scene!

Smooth
Being follicly challenged, after a week my remaining hair looks untidy, i would happier if it would just stop growing all over!! You definetely see the corresponding increate in traffic as more people get out and about. im sure soon enough the traffic flow will no longer be smooth

Last edited:
That is a posh box!

I was thinking of cats for Alive, but ours are permanently asleep and not-alive looking :) At least you got a gob shot. @Cobra will be pleased :)

Second one is cheeky. Makes me smile.

Alive
Cats, I can't work then out sometimes. You can give them the comfiest beds they'd ever want and find somewhere else to sleep.
The second shot is a bit more engaging.

#1 is more on theme.. that's definitely an alive shot!
#2 works well for the expression and composition.
Tough call :D

I prefer #1 myself, but both are very nice images.

Week 13 - Easter

So we went out for a walk on Easter Sunday - I was hoping I might spot some lambs, or a rabbit, but to no avail.

The first couple were the only things I saw, but I wasn't happy with them. The first isn't even in focus - there were people in the garden, so I just snuck off a quick shot.

374A2196 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

374A2197 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

But then when we got back we had a lovely roast lamb Sunday dinner.

There wasn't much left...

374A2300 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Others for consideration.

374A2318 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

374A2301 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

374A2323 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Nice Easter set Kell and you can't beat a bit of roast lamb at anytime of the year TBH.

But the B&W ones, don't really work for me..

Hehe, like your thinking :)
I too agree that the colour ones work better (B&W may work if you make it more contrasty).

With the bunnies on the gate, surely a wave to them and a shout of "love the bunnies, I'm just grabbing a quick shot... okay?" would have gotten you all the time in the world to shoot it?

The Bunny Bunting works really well for me for the theme. That would be my choice I think. Well done for getting so many images in too!

Hehe, like your thinking :)
I too agree that the colour ones work better (B&W may work if you make it more contrasty).

With the bunnies on the gate, surely a wave to them and a shout of "love the bunnies, I'm just grabbing a quick shot... okay?" would have gotten you all the time in the world to shoot it?

TBH, I'm still a little shy when it comes to photographing strangers and/or their things.

It is something I need to work on.

Heavens, when I first saw the bones I thought you had had Easter bunny for dinner! o_O

I think if people decorate their houses it is probably a compliment if you want to photograph it.

For me the bunting speaks 'Easter' more than the others, but I knew immediately when I saw the bones, which week it was for too. I like the colour ones best and the composition of the first one (as on the main thread).

Another vote for the bunting here, but I'm with you on approaching people - that's why I stick with landscape ;)

Back