Kell's TP 52 2020 - Weeks 51 and 52.

Hi Kell

Welcome to the 52, a bit late but no matter.

For Pleasure, I like the coffe bean shot, it's simple, has plenty of details and the exposure and focus looks good.
The Top one the OOF area in the forground does not work for me.
The 2 Cup ones are not too bad, the white cup has beetr point of focus.

Tools, an interesting point of view, fits the theme well and the tones of the B&W conversion are good. The white blown out bit maybe should have some detail, but it looks ok to me

Pete

Like the action shot of tools. It must have been fun to compose!
Definitely prefer the first shot for the coffee options.

Hi Kell

Tools, an interesting point of view, fits the theme well and the tones of the B&W conversion are good. The white blown out bit maybe should have some detail, but it looks ok to me

Pete

I have to say the loss of detail was deliberate as it had my ugly head in it.
Lol.

I like the first of your coffee shots most. Nice idea for tool, I like the angle. I have to agree about the blown out highlights at the top, maybe it could be cropped differently to remove some of this area. If your happy with the crop that's fine though, it's your image after all :)

Thank you for the constructive criticism.

I tend to agree with @seaodyssey on the coffee shots.

I really liked the simplicity of the beans shot - and it was actually the first one I added to the TP 52 Flickr group. Then I changed my mind. I also agree that the portafilter's handle isn't quite how I really wanted it. I did have two other versions of this set up where the angle wasn't as severe. I preferred the composition, but the focus wasn't as good.

I also agree that neither of the 'cup' shots is exactly how I wanted them. Maybe in a couple of weeks, when it gets really cold, I'll look at reshooting it with the kitchen door open to make the kitchen cold and get more steam. On the first one I manually focussed on the bottom of the portafilter, but it looks to have missed and seems to be somewhere between the that and the edge of the cup - where there's no detail. On the white cup, I went up a fair few stops to give me more depth of field.

Also taken off the grad top right of the image on tools and I think it's better.

IMG_0785 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great idea, and a different perspective that's for sure.
It works well, Kell.

Hi Kell, I loved the simplicity of just the coffee beans that really worked for me, sometimes less is more..
The perspective for tools is very different and interestingly the hand made for more interest reaching in to grab a tool, Thumbs up from me.

I think the coffee beans are bang on, and I bet they smell great :)
the tools shot (first one) is a bit too bright for me at the top right, the second image is much better and a totally different take on the theme to boot.

Line the coffee beans shot - definitely agree with you for pleasure!

And I really like the composition and idea behind the tools shot - very clever, and well executed!

The Coffee beans shot is excellent, I like that. You could see Costa (Other retailers are available) having something like that hung on the wall.
The tools shot is just a little too busy for me.

I really like the first coffee shot. I think the foreground oof areas put the emphasis on the coffee. Tools shot maybe a little busy but it's a certainly a different take on the subject.

I think the concept is really good, I just think the (your) hand is a little lost, it's tonally very similar to what's around it. It's still a good photo though, because once I'd found the hand it brings the whole thing together.

I think the concept is really good, I just think the (your) hand is a little lost, it's tonally very similar to what's around it. It's still a good photo though, because once I'd found the hand it brings the whole thing together.

I did wonder if the colour version might be an easier read.

IMG_0785 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

I like the bean shot for pleasure, nice texture and colours, you can almost smell the coffee. Really well done! But then, we've seen a shot like that a thousand times. So I find the shot with the coffee being brewed and pouring into the (plain white) cup more interesting. It's not quite there yet I think, but it has potential. You could even do a series from bean to cup... :)

The tool shot is a clever idea!

Bit of a cheat this one as it was taken a year and a half ago, but I'll submit it for now, and if I have the chance to take another, then I'll replace it.

Week one - local (interest)

Two shots of a fairly recent statue known as Robin of Pegswood. Not local to where I am now, but where I was born and grew up.

One from the front:

Robin of Pegswood by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

And one from the back which also incorporates the theme silhouette.

Robin of Pegswood by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
I've marked you down for Tech on the Local image.
I think I do prefer it the the lit version.
What is the history on these?

By the way, have a read of the info on linking back to your thread, as it's missing on your shot and that will stop people finding your thread to comment.
ETA: Hmm seems you made it work for your first shots - must've forgotten this time.

Last edited:
Great work Kell!:clap:
There's some terrific images here!

Local: Very intriguing statues, and both are excellent, with great composition. The 1st one has a slight edge for me, such wonderful colours and the cloud striations are perfectly lined up with the arrow.
Pleasure: Coffee beans all the way for me too, and I like the 1st image, even though you say you missed focus slightly, it still works....love me some nice reflections!
Tool: Jolly creative take on the theme, and well executed...I prefer your grad-adjusted mono version.

I really like the golden one Kell (y)

Don't forget to link back from the home page though ;)

Pleasure - I like the coffee beans shot best.
Tools - Unusual PoV I like it.
Local - the silhouette works well but I like the colour one more

Welcome aboard the 52, Kell. I like #1 and #4 of your Pleasure images, although the OOF area in the foreground of #1 is slightly too much for my taste whereas #4 is absolutely spot on - really graphic and could easily be an advertising shot.

The images, comments and thought process for Tools are an interesting read; it's an original idea for the theme and the second B&W version is an improvement on the first without that large blown out area, but then I have arrived at the colour version and I think that's the best of the set. I love B&W images but colour seems to make the whole scene more accessible this time.

Local is a really striking one - great subject and two very different images and styles. I can't pick a favourite as the sky and golden tones are wonderful in #1 while the silhouette and rim light is excellent in the second version :)

Week 04 - Discarded.

I'm not really happy with this. Either from a technical point of view, composition or ‘concept’.

I think the term discarded signifies a deliberate act of throwing something away, rather than something which is abandoned or lost. But I was away all weekend and this is the only thing I saw that remotely fit the bill.

Friends of ours have bought a house that used to be a private railway. As we looked around the garden I spotted this half a sign.

I would have liked more time to (and a tripod) to really get something I was happy with, but it will have to do.

TP Week 04 - Discarded by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
good find, great texture, I love all the colours in the plaque

A house that used to be a private railway? Wow, that's some house!!!
Is it one we'd have heard of?

I don't think so. I certainly hadn't - not that that is a yardstick to measure anything by. It was a bit of a typo as it should have said Private Railway 'Station'. And it's currently a rabbit warren of tiny rooms as it's been (badly) extended over the years.

Story goes:

"Avon Lodge railway station, now known as The Halt, was once a private untimetabled railway station opened in 1862 by the Ringwood, Christchurch and Bournemouth Railway. Becoming part of the London and South Western Railway, it was taken into the Southern Railway in the grouping of 1923 and closed in 1935. The Railway passed through several miles of land owned by Lord Malmesbury who, as a condition of the sale of his land to the railway, required that two private halts be provided: the first to serve his Heron Court residence in Hurn and the second for his tenants and staff at Avon Castle. It is believed that the approach to the station was redeveloped into the Avon Castle Drive road serving the private estate."

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-84882845.html

Last edited:
Some really excellent images here, i'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your entries!

I wouldn't feel too hang-up about it, Kell, as there's always a Snapper Free Choice week coming up soon and you can either do a reshoot or take anything that you fancy or even take a rest for a week.

Image wise I would be quite happy with that. Its old, abandoned and discarded. Good texture with plenty of details.

Back