Kenotek Ypres Rally 2015

Name
Matty
Edit My Images
No
Headed over to Belgium with a couple of mates for a motorsport double header. The Ypres Rally in Flanders, followed by the Summer Classic at Spa Francorchamps.
A truly excellent road trip, with astounding cars. It was my first motorsport run out with the new body 5d MK3 and the 400mm 5.6 that i've acquired, so a huge learning curve.
Still processing the shots from the trip, but managed to run some of the rally shots out first.
Any c&c welcome

1) Winner overall, Freddy Loix in the new Fabia R5 which is just pure sexiness. Almost 6R4-esque squared arches.

19328670661_37870aa850_b.jpg

2) I was impressed with the pace of the crew running this Opel Adam

18729345634_b1b6cfcb78_b.jpg

3) Trying to factor in a touch of elevation in the very flat Belgian landscapes

19137191278_a55f3a9100_b.jpg

4) I desperately wanted a sparks shot

19138718839_91b044a23b_b.jpg[

5) ...and I bagged one or two

18702232404_e06e22e970_b.jpg

6) A nice little touch in the centre of Ypres

19138694909_22a9ccce5d_b.jpg

7) Ill not post too many, but here is a leaping Porsche

18702237974_ab4d212198_b.jpg

Cheers,

Matty

Last edited:
Nice mix Matty, great foreground for the pan in #2. Be interested to hear what you think of 5D3 & 400 5.6 as I use that combo quite a bit at Brands.

loving the mk2 you can see he is giving it the beans and the sparks just add to it nice capture and like the porky

Nice touches with #3 & #4 :)

Nice mix Matty, great foreground for the pan in #2. Be interested to hear what you think of 5D3 & 400 5.6 as I use that combo quite a bit at Brands.

Thanks Neil, First impressions are very good. I've moved up from the 5Dc, so the AF improvement is colossal. I noticed at Spa, that the hit rate of slow pans was much more accurate, and shooting at a higher ISO for the airborne shots here, would just not be possible on the 5Dc. I'm really impressed with the sharpness of the lens, and the colour rendition seems to be a whole lot better. Looking back at these, I think 3 is the only one I am happy with, but I had a tinker in LR last night and have dragged the others up to a better standard in PP. Looking forward to giving the combo a run out at Donington this weekend.

Excellent as always mate. #5 is a beauty. But i am partial to a mk2... Or 2.

Thanks David, pleased you like them. It's been a while since I was at a rally, so I was a little rusty. Plus, the belgian stages are hard to factor in anything other than 3/4 shots or pans.

loving the mk2 you can see he is giving it the beans and the sparks just add to it nice capture and like the porky

Thanks Rab, There were a number of MK2s really pushing on. The light had gone by the time the historics came through this section, which was a pity, as 15 minutes before, there was the most amazing sunset and ambient light.

Nice touches with #3 & #4 :)

Thanks very much Gramps, I'm quite fond of #3

Superb work!

Thank you Reinis, a long way off your Sardinia set, I'd love to cover some of the WRC events. Your processing really makes the shots sing too...... Do you do lessons??

Anyway, chop chop, i wanna see your Eau Rouge shot... ;)

Hahaha. I have about half the shots sorted from Spa, but due to the ridiculous accuracy of the AF on the mk3, there are a LOT more shots than I expected. Ill whittle it down to six and get them up tomorrow.

I do lessons, but I live in Northern Ireland, not England sadly!
Rally shots really do need only a minimal processing. I love this set a lot, and really think it is good as it is! Well done!

Back