Kernow Chris' 52 for 2017 - Broken added

I think you are being a bit harsh on yourself, it's certainly on theme and gives a good view of the area.

Power - I like it alot, yes there is some motion blur but with the mood of the picture I don't think that's a problem and I love the blur on the wind turbine.

Above - wow, that's certainly above! Was it taken on a drone? Clouds are a bit blown but with the limitations you had that's understandable

Above, like it but think you would of nailed the shot if you had more of the Coast on the LHS and cropped out the blown clouds. Still a good shot and like it :)

i always find shots from the air fascinating, i agree with @Dave70D says about including more of the coast and water

I think you are being a bit harsh on yourself, it's certainly on theme and gives a good view of the area.

Power - Now that is a cool long exposure, it looks like there is a tad of camera shake, but with the processing used I think that add to the image... Like it :)

Power - I like it alot, yes there is some motion blur but with the mood of the picture I don't think that's a problem and I love the blur on the wind turbine.

Above - wow, that's certainly above! Was it taken on a drone? Clouds are a bit blown but with the limitations you had that's understandable

Oooooo that's a cool one for Above, mine sure will not be as picturesque as that, a wonderful view (y)

Power and above are corkers. Really like power especially, has a very unique feel to it.

Thanks guys.

The blur in the 'Power' shot was probably due to handholding the camera at 135mm zoom for a 2 second exposure, albeit a VR lens. It was more of a test shot to workout the shutter speed needed to capture something like 45 degrees of rotation blur that I originally intended to capture in the shot. From what it looked like on the back of the camera I could easily have deleted it, but I've learnt not to delete anything (unless it's obviously rubbish) until I've reviewed them all in LR.

'Above', we cable-tied my dash cam (go-pro knock-off) to the back of multi-rotor, set it to take a photo every five seconds and hoped for the best! Being strapped to the back meant we couldn't frame the shot as the 'live view' camera was facing the other way and hoped the downward angle was sufficient.

Good effort and execution of above. lovely pic, perhaps needs a little more sea on the left.

Just scrolling up on the thread and saw your wind turbine shot. I have been thinking about how to do this for a while as i have a friend who is obsessed with wind power. How did you do it? Its a corker.

Last edited:
Good effort and execution of above. lovely pic, perhaps needs a little more sea on the left.

Just scrolling up on the thread and saw your wind turbine shot. I have been thinking about how to do this for a while as i have a friend who is obsessed with wind power. How did you do it? Its a corker.

Thanks.

I'm a 'country' person and quite like wind turbines, which might sound a bit contradictory to some, but they are a gazillion times more aesthetic in the landscape then those retched fields of solar panels that blight the countryside. There is something majestic about them, at least the larger ones, not those silly small ones that spin at 100,000 rpm.

The shot, it really was more luck than anything. My original idea was to capture a partial revolution so I was taking a few shots to get the shutter speed right, this shot was 2 seconds which I think is just over a full revolution. I was using a couple of nd filters as I didn't want to stop down the aperture too much. In the back of the camera it didn't look like much and I could easily have deleted it as it wasn't really the shot I was after, but a bit of simple PP in LR and Nik Silverfx ended in the result you see, shame about the camera shake.

By far the trickiest part was getting the composition, ideally I wanted the blades face-on, but I was at the mercy of the wind, and then I also wanted the sun on this side which meant it needed to be a morning shot and I wanted a bit of cloud in the sky. Whilst there are a lot of wind turbines nearby, these are part of a group of eight, finding and accessing a vantage point wasn't as easy as I'd hoped. I'm not a fan of wandering over farmers fields without checking for permission first. I guess it's just like any landscape photography, you need to scout the area.

The worst bit .... as I was packing up it started to rain lightly and as I drove away a bright rainbow formed just beyond the turbines - arghh!!!!

Power ... interesting result what with long exposure combined with a little camera movement perhaps plus I think movement in the sky and I don't know what processing. I might have been tempted to clone out the RHS windmill.

Power ... again interesting result, green fields, coastline (could do with a bit more of that), brilliant white clouds plus that feeling that the earth really is round.:)

It can't be said that it's not ABOVE.
Shame about the highlights as said, but it's only the far right hand side. A good landscape shot from an unusual pov.

Those turbines look great, the very slight camera shake just makes it look like the power of the turbines is making everything shake. There's something a little otherworldly about it. Really glad you didn't just delete it on the basis that it wasn't totally sharp, which is a bad habit of mine.

Above is undoubtedly on theme isn't it? I like aerial views and i's a pretty landscape so it gets a thmbs up from me.

Hey Chris,
Power - Great concept. I'd never considered doing motion blur images of wind turbines (maybe because I don't have nds)
Impressed it only needed 2 seconds. You really do need the tripod though.

Above - I don't mind the blown clouds, it gives it a feel of the sun about to peek around the top right corner without including it.
Agree with the comments about getting a bit more of the coastline bottom left, but well done getting the shot blind!

Hi Chris, having caught up with my own thread this is my first visit since week 0 so I've looked through all of your images since then. My favourites so far are the clever idea and Photoshoppery for Order, the close-up details for Hairy, which really suits B&W, the super shot for Mineral with the flames (and thanks for sharing the set-up too), all those fascinating details in your images for Structure, which are well treated and really suit B&W, and the motion-filled final image for Power, which is interesting and spot on for the theme.

A final mention for your image for Dark, because I did something similar for last year's 52 and the theme 'camouflage' :) Well done with a great start to your first 52 and I'll be looking out for more.

06 Camouflaged Cat
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Chris, having caught up with my own thread this is my first visit since week 0 so I've looked through all of your images since then. My favourites so far are the clever idea and Photoshoppery for Order, the close-up details for Hairy, which really suits B&W, the super shot for Mineral with the flames (and thanks for sharing the set-up too), all those fascinating details in your images for Structure, which are well treated and really suit B&W, and the motion-filled final image for Power, which is interesting and spot on for the theme.

A final mention for your image for Dark, because I did something similar for last year's 52 and the theme 'camouflage' :) Well done with a great start to your first 52 and I'll be looking out for more.

06 Camouflaged Cat
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

Our cats could be twins!

Many thanks for the kind comments. I'm finding the '52 challenge' a great learning experience, and good fun along the way too!

Great take on the theme if the viewer is of a certain age ;), I like the graphic details provided by the floppy disk

Interesting take for evolve things certainly have evolved in a few short years, nicely composed pic for hold

Evolve, now what a blast from the past with the old floppy disk, like the placing of the micro sd card :plus1:
evolve is very good take on the theme. (y) like a piece of Art work the lines of the floppy
Great take on the theme if the viewer is of a certain age ;), I like the graphic details provided by the floppy disk

Glad you appreciated it! My original idea had a whole range of floppy disks and solid state media, but I couldn't get a composition I was happy with. This shot was much 'cleaner', tho a sod to get everything square.

Evolve is splendid, a great idea, love the detail, composition and general overall collection of media :clap:

Hold - I would have loved the plane flying into open space rather than out of the frame, as I love the composition and the stark contrast between the plane and the sky colours, I also like the feint detail in the sky, a real cool texture (y)

As others have already said, great idea for Evolve and unfortunately I'm old enough (just about!) to remember those huge old floppy discs. Really nicely done.

Hold is a striking image with a great view of the plane at a very unusual angle and lovely contrast between the bright red fuselage and the blue sky. I might have positioned it more to the right of the frame, but in a way the fact that it's on the left makes the whole image more 'edgy' and less controlled, if that makes sense.

Hold, on this shot sorry to say I think it is in the wrong part of the frame, nice prop blur too. If you had given it more space to fly in to and crop off some of the RHS it would of been a great shot, sorry.
Hold, on this shot sorry to say I think it is in the wrong part of the frame, nice prop blur too. If you had given it more space to fly in to and crop off some of the RHS it would of been a great shot, sorry.
As others have already said, great idea for Evolve and unfortunately I'm old enough (just about!) to remember those huge old floppy discs. Really nicely done.

Hold is a striking image with a great view of the plane at a very unusual angle and lovely contrast between the bright red fuselage and the blue sky. I might have positioned it more to the right of the frame, but in a way the fact that it's on the left makes the whole image more 'edgy' and less controlled, if that makes sense.

Ha! It does look 'awkward' on the left doesn't it, clever how the brain interprets that. It was somewhat intentional thinking quite literally 'exiting stage left'. So to stop screwing with your head here is a more comfortable re-crop...

Thanks for the comments, it's probably the more negative crit that you learn most from.

I love your evolve shot - it's a really great composition. Not that I would have known what it is...:whistle: :D Great sharp shot of the plane too and the second crop looks more comfortable. That looks like a pretty hair raising manoeuvre to me!

Yes Evolve is a good one, liking the blue filling the hole, I'm too young to know these discs but get the gist of it. :)

Hold is unreal (I mean that in the nicest possible way) could almost be a toy in a fake sky. :) .. I would now flip the edit bringing it back to the left .... pointing to the right. :)

Yes Evolve is a good one, liking the blue filling the hole, I'm too young to know these discs but get the gist of it. :)

Hold is unreal (I mean that in the nicest possible way) could almost be a toy in a fake sky. :) .. I would now flip the edit bringing it back to the left .... pointing to the right. :)

If you see the things these guys do with their aerobatic models it defies the laws of physics! My thumbs are too old to try and match them. As for a toy, well it has a 100cc petrol engine and a wingspan of just over 100inches, there are much bigger, but it's a not bad for starters. If RC model flying isn't something you have ever come across, take the opportunity to attend one of the many large summer rc flying shows to be amazed, they are family friendly plus there are loads of photo opportunities.

So it's a RC plane? I wouldn't have known that from the shot. I like the bright red and white of the plane against the blue sky and like the others prefer the second shot with the room in front of the plane.

Hi Chris,
Evolve - Where on earth did you dig up a 8" disk from? I could lay my hands on 3 1/2 disks quite easily, maybe a 5 1/4, but not one of those...
Excellent detail captured there.

Hold - So that's RC is it?
I think I prefer the first shot. Whilst convention says you should give it something to fly into, the angle you have there (in the second shot) doesn't work as well (in my opinion).

Hi Chris,
Evolve - Where on earth did you dig up a 8" disk from? I could lay my hands on 3 1/2 disks quite easily, maybe a 5 1/4, but not one of those...
Excellent detail captured there.

Hold - So that's RC is it?
I think I prefer the first shot. Whilst convention says you should give it something to fly into, the angle you have there (in the second shot) doesn't work as well (in my opinion).

Ha! It took a bit of digging thru the loft for the 8inch disk but I knew it was there somewhere. One advantage of being a hoarder!

The shots of the plane are different crops of the same photo. It was captured pretty much dead center, trying to compose the shot with it 'on a third' is a bit tricky.

Things for looking.

Chris

Great idea for evolve, we certainly have come along way in a short time. Well done. As others have said the second edit of the plane is better now it has somewhere to fly to. The colours of the plane stand out really well against that lovely blue sky:)

Back