Kernow Chris' 52 for 2017 - Broken added

Week 16 - Smoke

I never knew smoking incense sticks could be so photogenic! I took far too many shots that made my decisions far too difficult, let alone filling the house with stinky smoke. In the end I opted for one of these two ( but there where so many others I could have chosen)...

I'm going for the #1 as I think the simplicity of the shot wins over the wildness of the other - but only just, maybe...

An excellent idea for Evolve, awful when you actually remember using these things! I like the composition.
The plane looks great against the blue sky, personally I rather like the first one ...there's always one isn't there :D
Great idea for evolve, we certainly have come along way in a short time. Well done. As others have said the second edit of the plane is better now it has somewhere to fly to. The colours of the plane stand out really well against that lovely blue sky:)

Thanks for the comments. I remember installing a 8gb hard drive for a customer and saying, you'll never fill it up, and they probably didn't.

Week 17 - Vivid

Short on time this week, so nothing too exciting, in fact it feels like a bit of a cop-out but at least I'm getting good use of the flash I got for christmas ...

If only I hadn't already done this shot a month or so back ...

Chris

I agree with your choice for smoke, the simplicity of it works really well although I do like the craziness of all the smoke in 2 as well. Did you use coloured lights for #2 or colour it in post, I like the subtle colour of it and the white central smoke.

Vivid - I like the pen setup and a different choice to set it up with the colours of the lids facing away rather than towards the camera which you normally see in these sorts of shot. Shame about the wall as it's certainly very vivid!

I agree with your choice for smoke, the simplicity of it works really well although I do like the craziness of all the smoke in 2 as well. Did you use coloured lights for #2 or colour it in post, I like the subtle colour of it and the white central smoke.

I applied a couple of gradients in LR, tho #1 shot came out the 'blue' color OOC, probably because it was a different smoke source. The second one makes a great desktop at 2560xwhatever

Nice even light across the pens and an unusual set up but I think it works really well

Pens are a good idea, but I would have preferred to see everything in sharp focus, I dont like the way the focus falls off towards the intentional centre of the image.

I really like smoke #2 .... good light and depth. (y)

The pens ... hmmm think I'remove a couple of the less vivid and have them the other way round as DK @Dark Knight suggests.

Two great smoke shots - the colouring adds something extra to the second, and I like the smooth lines of the first.
I feel for the theme I'd definitely like the coloured lids to be in focus, but I think you did pretty well on the symmetry - a nightmare in those type of shots!

Nice even light across the pens and an unusual set up but I think it works really well

Symmetry is everything for me in these types and you are 95% there.
Nice idea for vivid, though I would have liked the bright lids in the foreground, set up the same but shot from the other way, still a cool idea and I like the high key look :)
Pens are a good idea, but I would have preferred to see everything in sharp focus, I dont like the way the focus falls off towards the intentional centre of the image.
I really like smoke #2 .... good light and depth. (y)

The pens ... hmmm think I'remove a couple of the less vivid and have them the other way round as DK @Dark Knight suggests.
Well done with those smoke shots Chris they're really very good, I like them both equally, they're so different to each other.

Vivid ..sorry but I really want those pens to face the other way for the theme.
Creative take for smoke, love the wall art.
Two great smoke shots - the colouring adds something extra to the second, and I like the smooth lines of the first.
I feel for the theme I'd definitely like the coloured lids to be in focus, but I think you did pretty well on the symmetry - a nightmare in those type of shots!

Thanks for the comments. Pens - I didn't even think about pointing them the other way around, you are all probably right in that they would have been better with the caps in the foreground.

Week 18 - Large

Two possibles for me this week...

First up was the Massey Ferguson 1150, but I figured, unless you know your Massey's you won't realise quite how large the 1150 is compared to the baby 135..

... so I went with an ant on my boot... well, large is relative and the boot is very large to an ant....

It took me ages for the ant shot, first trying to find an ant, then get it in position and take a shot before it wandered off!

There's some great detail in footwear, it took me a little while to see the ant. Well thought out and a good b/w conversion

Great tractor shot, the low PoV makes it look even larger. Nicely composed and great blue sky in the background.

Ooo hard choice. Love the colours and the angle on the tractor but love the detail and the B&W on the ant shot :confused: Might have to be the tractor or maybe the ant, no sorry can't decide :D

The tractor is good but I love the ant on the shoe, very well caught, great sense of scale.

The tractor looks great, but must choose the shoe with the ant, great idea.

Evolve - great idea, took me a second to realise there was an SD in the middle there.
Hold - OK, let me think of something. We've done in, out, left, right... has anyone suggested having the plane pointing down?
Smoke - nicely captured. I prefer the wild one as there's more to look at.
Large - For the theme I guess the tractor ticks the box better but as a photo I love the ant on the shoe.

There's some great detail in footwear, it took me a little while to see the ant. Well thought out and a good b/w conversion
I will go for the Massey Ferguson 1150, love the pov and I use to drive the old 135 on the golf club while cutting the fairways.
I am going with the ant, excellent take on the theme
Great angle on the tractor Chris, it really emphasises the size, looks great against the blue sky, well done with the positioning the ant too, the things we do for the 52's :)
Great tractor shot, the low PoV makes it look even larger. Nicely composed and great blue sky in the background.
Ooo hard choice. Love the colours and the angle on the tractor but love the detail and the B&W on the ant shot :confused: Might have to be the tractor or maybe the ant, no sorry can't decide :D
The tractor is good but I love the ant on the shoe, very well caught, great sense of scale.
The tractor looks great, but must choose the shoe with the ant, great idea.
Evolve - great idea, took me a second to realise there was an SD in the middle there.
Hold - OK, let me think of something. We've done in, out, left, right... has anyone suggested having the plane pointing down?
Smoke - nicely captured. I prefer the wild one as there's more to look at.
Large - For the theme I guess the tractor ticks the box better but as a photo I love the ant on the shoe.

Thanks for the comments. It seems the tractor shot was more popular than I expected, I just didn't think it was quite so, I don't know, 'arty' (?) as the ant. I'm going to print a large version of it for my young nephew who loves tractors.

The boot/ant shot is the shot of the week for me. The detail in the boot, the choice of DOF and the B&W conversion all work so well with that little ant trying to climb it. (y)

Hi Chris,

Smoke - I'm drawn to #2. Perhaps it's the physics student in me marvelling at the display of brownian motion, though there is a certain simplicity to #1

Vivid - We'll let you have the archive #2 seeing as you did also take a shot for vivid. Great piece of street art.

Large - I don't know my Massey's but that PoV does emphasis the size of the tractor. You can make a guess at teh size of teh thing by looking at parts like the steering wheel...

Week 19 - Architecture

The 'Allen' building at Truro College against a star studded night sky (tho you might have to look closely). Annoyed I lopped the top of the building off, didn't realise it at the time and the only shot with it intact is not sharp enough and at a slightly different angle so I couldn't photoshop it onto this one. Perhaps with it going out of frame it emphasises the size of the building, tho 'large' was last week. Ho Hum.

Chris

It's an interesting piece of architecture and a good mono conversion, I agree about the top, if you had just got the apex of he metal work but we've all been there, good shot for the theme though.

It shows how observant I am, I didn't even notice the top was missing.
I like the lighter center area leading up to the top and the triangle shape really helps focus the eye.

A good architecture shot, shame that the top is missing, but works perfectly in B&W! Great details too.

Back