Kernow Chris' 52 for 2017 - Broken added

Again...edible props...when will ppl learn to bring / make enough?? .... anyhow... clever ps skills... but the jam goes on one half and the cream the other... kind of a side by side order.. it's true... heard it was Cornish Lore from the 1950's at least..

Make this a black cat (or five) and you have a scene from my house. Nice DOF and detail in the fur.

Like the close crop, the detail and the Dof, certainly fits the theme and I like it.

Love the soft silky looking ears and those doleful eyes. All snuggled up and certainly Comfortable.

I'm a sucker for mono/B&W anyway, but this really captures the texture of the plant. Great interpretation of hairy.

Apart from the tufty bit, the rest could almost be the debris from a barber's floor. Amazing plant and an excellent choice for the theme Chris. Fabulous b&w tonal range.

Great sharpness in comfort #1, and I like the colours and the close crop. And #2 wins the special cuteness price.

Great textures in hairy, but in my opinion it's a bit too much of the same texture in the background. Doesn't quite work for me.

Thanks for all the replies and ideas, although I'm not too sure if I could get away with extricating it from it's pot without causing damage to it, it's fellow pot mates or myself (from her-indoors or the spikey bits).

Chris

Hairy works for me , good separation of FG and BG .... well, at the top of the pic. I think I'd lose near half, the bottom half.

This was my idea for 'smooth'. I tried to take the image quickly this morning before work, but on checking the image I see there is a large blurry/out-of-focus area at the front-lower-left of the stone even at f8 so I'm going to have to do it again.

I tried again but couldn't seem to get a better composition and have just run out of time this week.

I have learnt how reflective wet stones can be when using a flash. My 'dry' practice shots went to pot once I added the water.

I still like the image, think it is very effective, I like the shadow particularly.

I really like this. I like that you used a black background, it help the detail of the stone come through.

Hi Chris,
When you click through to the Flickr page, you get (at least I get) a "This photo is private" error, so it's not possible to view the shot larger.
Interesting effect, the bottom and middle of the pebble are sharp with nice detail in the texture, but top right looks badly blurred (almost looks like motion blur, but it can't be). Is this a shallow DoF artefact?
I don't see any issue bottom left though.

Whatever... You've got the week done :) Onwards and upwards.

Well done Chris, As the other have said that's another one done. I like the contrast against the black background. What's the little line showing beneath the stone centre left?

Good choice for a stone, nicely textured and patterned ... looks Smooth. The oof areas don't bother me. Blooming good for a quick take.

Well done Chris, As the other have said that's another one done. I like the contrast against the black background. What's the little line showing beneath the stone centre left?

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments. That 'line' and the one on the right side is a reflection of the light off the water surface.

The idea of the shot was to wet the stone and sit it in a shallow pool of water hoping the wetness of the stone would add to the smoothness. My first 'dry' test shots and lack of experience didn't prepare me for the amount of reflection I would get from the flash once the water was added. I tried different flash positions, different intensities and some make shift modifiers using sheets of a4 paper loosely wrapped around the end but I still ended up with a big hot-spot flash reflection on the stone. In the end I took two shots with the flash hotspot in two different locations on the stone and then did some photoshop layering editing to reduce one of them.

If nothing else I learnt a little more which is always the point of these little exercises even if the results aren't what you have in mind.

Last edited:
I had the same problem with my wet Pebbles. I think I was a bit luckier than you, in that my Pebbles seemed to be slightly absorbant and i only really wet them to bring out the colours. But it still made them quite reflective when using my Speedlight, even with a small modifier attached.
How can something that seems so simple be so frustrating.
I still think you've done really well to get your smooth shot.

Back