Kestrel lunching on lizard

SKM

Edit My Images
No
The beach kestrel made an appearance at lunchtime and perched on the lamppost again looking intently towards the cliff. After a few minutes he flew down on to the cliff and sat on the wall with a lizard

Both shots with the Sigma 150-600, with the second I was zoomed out to 600mm but so close and no time to move the focus point I couldn't get him all in the frame

Stan

16718513228_91b143b626_c.jpg

16718513898_67b063a613_c.jpg

A cracking pair of shots Stan - the second is spot on with detail and colour, and loses nothing by not being full frame (y)

Russ
+1 from me, summed up by Russ to a "T"

Lovely sharp eye contact Stan, can't ever remember being too close to these and a great pose with the lizard :clap:

thanks for looking guys

seen Kestrels eating a few different things in the past but never a lizard :)

difficult to be sure but i think this one is a common lizard and along with wall lizards they are in plentiful supply along the cliff. I got shots a couple of years ago with him flying off with a wall lizard but i have also seen him with a vole
Stan

Nice captures, never seem to be able to get close enough myself :)

they do have a magical plumage ..... head is almost magician like but it's a kestrel not a Merlin

Well caught Stan,I am guessing this is the sport version,are they handheld?

,I am guessing this is the sport version,are they handheld?

Yes its the sport version, I dont think the cheaper one has been launched yet.

All shots are handheld, most of my shots are on the move, this location is an area of 2 to 300 metres of prom and cliff and is a prime location for stonechats and the kestrel ut you can never tell just where they are going to appear and taking time to set up a tripod will mostly mean missing the shot. Also the lens/camera is heavy enough without adding the weight of a tripod :D

Stan

Back