one that's so nicely framed! (y)(y)(y)

May I suggest…

Kestrel.jpg

I like that a lot Ian :)

Coooool… I envy you the chance you have
capturing these! I would be very happy to get
one that's so nicely framed! (y)(y)(y)

May I suggest....

That's far superior to my processing Kodiak, if it's not too complicated may I ask what you have done to achieve it. :)

may I ask what you have done to achieve it.

No saturation, contrast nor vibrance…
only tonal taming through layer adjustments

No saturation, contrast nor vibrance…
only tonal taming through layer adjustments
Thank you for the reply Kodiak, but as I thought a bit beyond my capabilities for the moment, but I will get there in the end (y)

I actually think that is a little OTT on the blacks…

Maybe Ned.

My suggestion is just what it is, a suggestion,
and performed on a jpeg —mind you I think I
did took care to keep a natural look in this—
knowing very well that it will not please every-
one AND my mother in law!

Since, admittedly, Ian cannot yet reach such
result, I can imagine the benefit for him to see
your suggestion.

… and how far is this end you speak of?
The end is close, he says behind a cough lol ........ I'm reading about and trying different things all the time in Photoshop, as with my photography I owe my abilities to people like yourself who point me in the right direction, also the endless supply of tutorials written and filmed by people willing to help, it is and always will be for me an endless learning curve that I enjoy, onwards and upwards :)

I trust you on that and you are right, the resources are endless!

it is and always will be for me an endless learning curve that I enjoy
Same thing here… everyday is a school day! :cool:

Last edited:
I actually think that is a little OTT on the blacks, somewhere in between this and the original would suit me :)
I also like your processing of the shot Ned, there are endless ways to process as there endless points of views on that processing :)

That's a lovely photograph of a kestrel in a lovely setting. If anything I might try cropping it a little at the bottom - It might be worth a try.

I agree with Nawty about the processing. The original looks more like a kestrel than the re-processed version IMO. However, the foliage possibly looks better in kodiak's version.

May I suggest…

I actually think that is a little OTT on the blacks, somewhere in between this and the original would suit me

I agree with Nawty about the processing. The original looks more like a kestrel than the re-processed version IMO. However, the foliage possibly looks better in kodiak's version

After taking on board all the comments, this is my second try, I've used adjustment layers for the first time, I have kept the bird as in the original, I've also had a bit of a flit around with a denoise brush on the background only :)

As always, loads of different ways to present a shot, but the important thing is to be working an a nice image for starters, and for me this is a very nice frame.

I like the framing in the OP ,with the branches giving a 'window' to the bird. From then on its all personal choice - I'd have booked the blacks a little but the bird looks pretty close to being an accurate representation to me.

Nice work Ian, a really good shot,

Mike

Back