Critique Kestrel

Nice shot! It does seem to have a green tint on the underside of the wing, but that may just be my phone screen.

The wife said there was a tint, but I don't see/notice it Luke, I think I'm ready for an eye test and new glasses, thanks for the input :)

Thank you Russ, the bird was low over a field, so there is a possibility it could be a reflection from the grass :)

Cheers holty :)

Not a lot wrong with that Ian, I like Kestrel shots with some landscape, our usually pov is looking up.

As for the green tint on the under wings, Ive had it when the birds have been hovering over grass and put it down to the light bouncing back up as you've mentioned.

It is very easy to remove in post if you wanted to.

Thank you Phil, I've been reading up on how to remove tints, but as of yet I've not been able to, one of the problems I have is I'm not seeing it, so I have to rely on the wife being about to verify any changes, my initial statement about glasses wasn't a get out of jail free card, I'm beginning to think I may be colour blind !! :)

I like this a lot , the church in the background all adds to the image I feel . I can see the green tint , but doesn't spoil it , and I likely wouldn`t of noticed , if it had not been mentioned . Well done .

Many thanks Lepus :)

I like this Ian, the BG interests adds more to it than a more traditional shot. For me, the bird is a little dark, so for an idea, I brightened the bird, removed the aforementioned underwing cast and boosted vibrance in the trees. Just an idea to have a think about

wanilson-kestrel-RP.jpg

Regarding the cast, in photoshop, create a hue/saturation layer, then from the drop down box choose the appropriate colour (trial and error with greens and yellows, they often overlap) and reduce the saturation using a mask for the specific area required

In lightroom you can do similar by using the adjustment brush in the 'develop' mode

Mike

Last edited:
Cheers Mike, looks better brighter I have to agree :)

Nice, and good to see it in its setting too.

I think the cast under the wing will be reflected light off the undergrowth. I've had it happen at a sparrowhawk hide and the whole scene is that greenish way.

Thank you Dale :)

Back