Kettlewell at Night and Aysgarth Falls (North Yorkshire)

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

So the kood filters from @blondie606 arrived very nicely in time for my holiday to North Yorkshire and so I tried some of them out:

Trying out the Hard Gradient filter for Kettlewell at Night (tripod mounted)

Kettlewell At Night by Simon Barrett, on Flickr

Trying out ND8 filter just using a monopod or with the camera sitting on a rock as I didn't have a tripod with me.

Aysgarth Falls - Ever thought water could look like hair?!

Aysgarth Falls (Upper) by Simon Barrett, on Flickr

Aysgarth Falls (Lower) by Simon Barrett, on Flickr

I do like #3, well, the central part. When cropped looks like flowing hair.

Oh, cough, your sensor needs a good clean :)

Cheers.

Thanks for commenting Andy, I think the ND8 filter does have a few little scratches on it which may account for it, but they were used filters.
I'll do a sensor clean using the camera function but otherwise I may need to take it in to a shop.

Morning Simon,

I don't think you needed the filter for number 1 as it's now quite under exposed. Number 2 is probably the best of the bunch in my opinion; the water looks like strands of hair and there's nice gentle curves throughout the photo - it feels quite calming.

James

Morning Simon,

I don't think you needed the filter for number 1 as it's now quite under exposed. Number 2 is probably the best of the bunch in my opinion; the water looks like strands of hair and there's nice gentle curves throughout the photo - it feels quite calming.

James

Hi James, thanks for commenting.
It's interesting what you said about #1. It was a graduated filter meaning just the top was darkened so that the sky wasn't blown. At least, that was the intent. I was trying to make it so that the trees weren't just silhouettes whilst still trying to achieve the effect of dusk. Maybe I should have entitled it Kettlewell at Dusk instead.

I think it looks as it did to the eye so was happy with it, but I shall certainly work to improve it in camera next time.

I may edit it in darktable and up the whole exposure a couple of notches.

Last edited:
Back