Kew Gardens Wedding. Man...

7.5k shots?

How many cards do you carry ?! I think if I shoot max RAW res with back ups for every shot I can get 4200 in 1 go....(120G of cards ish) with 320G of SD cards as back up. (technically I can shoot 14,000 I guess with no back ups)

Amazing set of photos though...not shot an indian wedding yet, have been asked a couple of times and the description/brief they gave me were staggering, how did you prepare for it?

p.s. that peacock shot crossing. What timing !

Last edited:
wow!! worth the time to look! some great pp. How many of the shots did you setup compared to candid shots?
brilliant work

Lovely set. You must have been running around a hell of a lot to get all those, but well worth it (y)

Great day, took the time to look through the lot and it was worth it! I love the use of walls and even a fridge (?) in the early shots as framing devices. Did I see some subtle HDR work in there? What did you use for this?

You must have worked very hard.

J

Thanks very much guys!

Ray - D3s gets about 2K per 32GB card (which I shoot 1:1 backup), so essentially 4 cards (8 in total due to mirroring of course).

Dennis: Loads of candids also, no room in the storyboard to add them!

Darren: Like a maniac! We had very little time for formals/B&G shoot too.

Jimi - It is a fridge indeed :¬) No HDR! Just some shadow recovery.

Amazing set Ross! Starts off great and just gets better and better as you scroll down :)

Could I ask a quick question as I notice you have the odd shot where you have a perfectly white background behind the couple... is this just a case of no flash, over expose the shot and get low enough to eliminate any background but the sky? I love these shots and would like to try and do one myself :)

That's a beautiful set. Some real skill, and lovely composition.

I especially like the processing and tone of the images.

This is a kick ass wedding set! Well done.

Great set Ross! You've done a wonderful job. One question though, is there a reason why you don't remove chromatic abberation? It's quite noticeable in a fair few shots.

Wow!!! Outstanding images mate. What lenses do you use forward dings?? Done a couple myself but only mainly for friends. Great PP too.

That's a great set. I'm sure the bride and groom will be very impressed.

a huge set with tons of great shots.

The ones you said we wouldn't like and you did - is this one of them:
http://www.rossharvey.com/images/9535.jpg

I have to say that was the only shot out of the entire set I really didn't get - the rest I thought were all fantastic

That's an awesome one, couples who want something different will love it and photographers will appreciate the image works really well, despite breaking most 'rules' of composition. It's a photo most photographers would miss or compose in a much more traditional manner and mostlikely make it far less interesting than the result Ross has achieved here.

That's an awesome one, couples who want something different will love it and photographers will appreciate the image works really well, despite breaking most 'rules' of composition. It's a photo most photographers would miss or compose in a much more traditional manner and mostlikely make it far less interesting than the result Ross has achieved here.

welcome back ben, i hope you reflected on your time off and will use it for a positive (y)

With positive posts like this one I think you are for sure doing exactly that and it's good to see.

Last edited:
I kinda dig the photy Joe mentions, and yes agree with Ben that the couple will love it and others wont get it, I can imagine my old dear thinking WTF?

In a few years time the photy will look dated maybe?

(Ben had time off?? Looks such a sensible bloke to me??)

welcome back ben, i hope you reflected on your time off and will use it for a positive (y)

With positive posts like this one I think you are for sure doing exactly that and it's good to see.

I'm sure it won't belong before you're watching from the sidelines again for the umpteenth time. To be honest, I didn't even realise I'd be banned until 6pm today and then went out for a few beers anyway.

I used to my time off to have a play with iOS7, and confimed my previous thoughts on it but that's for another thread.

I kinda dig the photy Joe mentions, and yes agree with Ben that the couple will love it and others wont get it, I can imagine my old dear thinking WTF?

In a few years time the photy will look dated maybe?

(Ben had time off?? Looks such a sensible bloke to me??)

Haha, I know exactly what you mean. Although I've come to realise that it's probably best if the older generation don't really get it. I think all photos will look pretty dated over time.

I know, right? I'm like Vanilla, Zulfi. Joe was just being his usual obtuse, arguing-for-the-sake-of-arguing self that's given himself such a bad rep on this forum. I decided to entertain it and got the boot for a few hours. No biggie.

Ha, Joe;s alright when you get use to his way of thinking....:puke:

You have a lot in common too: TP, Photography...:love:

Apologies to rdh, can't look at them all with my connection and download speed/limitations, I trust they are good any ways. (y)

Ha, Joe;s alright when you get use to his way of thinking....:puke:

You have a lot in common too: TP, Photography...:love:

Apologies to rdh, can't look at them all with my connection and download speed/limitations, I trust they are good any ways. (y)

Really? Could take a while. I think he likes me, which makes things a bit awkward :)

Apologies to Ross from me too, he will wake up tomorrow, see comments and think they're about how awesome his coverage of this wedding was ... but they won't be. So Ross, great stuff as always and good to see you posting - seems like it's been a while.

Come on guys, it's not fair to Ross to be having this conversation in his critique thread.

Back on topic my favorite shot of the candid ones at the begining is this one:

http://www.rossharvey.com/images/9537.jpg

I love how you get the feel of the movement in the people around the party even though the focus is on a static subject.

What I really like is your consitient processing and whilst you have quite a retro feel to the processing you've done it without that "muted saturation" which everyone else that's trying to get a retro feel does.

Bravo

Come on guys, it's not fair to Ross to be having this conversation in his critique thread.

Back on topic my favorite shot of the candid ones at the begining is this one:

http://www.rossharvey.com/images/9537.jpg

I love how you get the feel of the movement in the people around the party even though the focus is on a static subject.

What I really like is your consitient processing and whilst you have quite a retro feel to the processing you've done it without that "muted saturation" which everyone else that's trying to get a retro feel does.

Bravo

Then YOU shouldn't have started it on this thread, should you! In fact Joe, it probably wasn't worth mentioning at all anywhere.

Back to the subject in hand please.

I really like the feel of these photos, a great set of images! There are a few that are not to my taste, as I am not a fan of things randomly cut off, or out of frame (like the lower half of the bride/groom in the initial picture). There are only a few though

You have a great eye for capturing the action, I really like the sequence involving the scarf being held up high

Working at Kew Palace At the Moment, was there they day this was going on the Nash conservatory is beautiful!! I really wondered what was happening Looks amazing!!! :D

Oh and the photos were pretty good too ;)

Wow!

A great example of someone at the upper echelons of their craft. You have a stunning ability to capture both emotion and light. This is the standard that I aspire to :clap:

Just wondering how long that much data took to process? You must have one hell of a streamlined workflow!

Cheers, Alan

Thanks for the awesome feedback! Apologies in the delay, had a rather busy week or so :¬)

Joe - yes, that hand/look shot is one in particular.

9535.jpg

It's a symmetric geometric composition, as you can rotate the frame 180º and the compositional components will remain in the same place. I love that kind of thing. It's actually a fingernail detail shot, just wide, with an onlooker :)

Martin, Andy - thanks!

Alan - thank you. I took 7.5K photographs for this wedding, delivered a set of over 850. It took a long time to process as there was some horrific colour casting in some of the indoor shots.

Ben - cheers buddy :¬)

Back