Keywording solution.

Name
Nicholas
Edit My Images
No
Its that time of year again, and I'm still looking for the right keywording solution.

I shoot RAW and use Lightroom for editing, with a little bit of PS thrown in for good measure where necessary and am looking for a way to do my keywording better. Of course Lightroom automatically fixes copyright etc. in the metadata but subject keywording is a bugger and takes a hell of a lot of time.

What I have to do now:

Import photos:
Sort, cull, edit and generally perfect my captures.
Go back to the beginning, keyword one photo:
Copy all keywords from that photo, find every other photo of the same subject and paste the keywords into it.
Go back to the beginning, find the next un-keyworded photo and repeat the previous steps until all are Keyworded.
Then export.

I know I can go through, bulk select all the photos of say the #1 Aston Martin and keyword them all once, but I find that this often forgets to keyword one or two photos in the batch and I have to go back later and re-keyword.

What I want to do:

Pre-establish at the start of the season a number of trigger Keywords, so for British GT this year I would set up:

17-BGT-1 which would contain: TF Sport, Derek Johnston, Jonny Adam, #1, Pro/Am,
17-BGT-6 which would contain Barwell Motorsport, Liam Griffin, Sam Tordoff, #6, Pro/Am

etc. then also set up:

17-AMGT3 which would contain Aston Martin, Vantage, V12, GT3, Prodrive,
17-AMGT4 which would contain Aston Martin, Vantage, V8, GT4,
17-MBGT3 which would contain Mercedes Benz, GTS, GT3, AMG, V8,

I would then go through each image and just add say 17-BGT-1, 17-AMGT3 and all the other keywords would attach automatically.

Last year Keyword sets were suggested and they kind of worked but I'm now stuck with 50+ keyword sets that no longer apply and I can't delete them because I cant find where the hell they live! I am prepared to invest in additional software if it helps fulfill my needs. Any suggestions?

Last year Keyword sets were suggested and they kind of worked but I'm now stuck with 50+ keyword sets that no longer apply and I can't delete them because I cant find where the hell they live! I am prepared to invest in additional software if it helps fulfill my needs. Any suggestions?

"To delete the keyword set, choose Delete Preset “Name Of Keyword Set” from the Preset menu."​

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/keywords.html

I don't know quite how they're stored, and whether like Develop Presets you can edit and manage them directly but you can find them:

"Mac: (your computer name)/ Library / App Support / Adobe / Lightroom / Keyword Sets
PC: C > Docs/Settings > (your name) > Application Data (may be hidden) > Adobe > Lightroom > Keyword Sets"​

http://lightroomkillertips.com/presets-keyword-sets/
from this search (your Google-fu is weak young grasshopper..)

Thanks. I will return to the Google dojo Sensei. **bows deeply **

What I have to do now:

Import photos:
Sort, cull, edit and generally perfect my captures.
Go back to the beginning, keyword one photo:
Copy all keywords from that photo, find every other photo of the same subject and paste the keywords into it.
Go back to the beginning, find the next un-keyworded photo and repeat the previous steps until all are Keyworded.
Then export.

You don't mention that you are (apparently) not also using key wording on importing the images. For the benefit of the rest of us, why do you not use import key wording?

For keywords that apply across the board, eg. venue I do but for most keywords it varies image by image.

I know this is not really what you are looking for but it may help, In LR in library mode you can view the images as a grid, if you then select the images you want to keyword (Ctrl+click on a PC) and then enter the keywords and they will apply to all selected photos, saves that copy and paste step.

Back