weekly kh_42 - 52/2021 - Weeks 11-13 added!

Very nice minimalism!

Thank you, appreciate that. To be honest it wasn’t very interesting pre-processing, just a shot of my street with a little mist taken from the end of my drive this evening.

I wanted to give it a Exorcist-esque sense of foreboding, was a bit worried I made it too dark though. On reflection, it might have been nice to have had a person in the beam of light too.

very eerie indeed. you need to add a link from the main thread to your page so that people can easily find it to add their comment you can find instructions on the how to guides and links thread.

Hi @kh_42 .... I really like it. It could be even more minimalistic with just the single pole, single light on three wires. ... just a thought.

very eerie indeed. you need to add a link from the main thread to your page so that people can easily find it to add their comment you can find instructions on the how to guides and links thread.
Yep

Lovely minimalist low key jobbie!

And yep - the linky dinky!

Great Image KH Really like the tone and use of all that negative space.

Pete

Thanks! I will do, was in a bit of a rush yesterday when I posted so will sort that tonight.

Hi @kh_42 .... I really like it. It could be even more minimalistic with just the single pole, single light on three wires. ... just a thought.

I’m going to have another play with it tonight, will give that a go.

Last edited:
An excellent start to your 52.
I'm liking the pools of light on the road. I can see where others are coming from with the suggestions of just one light, but I actually like it the way it is as the pools of light on the road help to show you the leading line of the road through the shot to the parked car.

I really like this picture, it has quite a spooky look. I agree with what you said about having a person in it perhaps stood under the light it would certainly add to it.

Ok, so a couple more on the theme:

1. A version with only the one light, plus no parked car. Not brilliant editing if you look too closely, but hopefully gives enough of an idea to decide whether one or two lights works better. I'm undecided.

2. Conditions similar tonight, albeit not exactly the same, thought I'd try again with a person in the shot. Tricky to pose nicely when you're the photographer and the model. Neighbours must have thought I was mental repeatedly legging it into the middle of the road and standing there. I think its ok, but would be better with a proper model who I could pose etc. Not sure I prefer it to the original though.

Thanks all for your comments, really grateful for you all taking the time to have a look and provide feedback!

I love the expanse of nothingness on either side. It make the outside feel a little claustrophobic.

I love the expanse of nothingness on either side. It make the outside feel a little claustrophobic.

Thank you, that's what I was aiming for - good to know that it worked! On reflection I wish I'd also removed the parked car as well.

Its great that you've had another go, I really like the picture with the person in it, makes it feel like a lonely figure or something sinister!

That's a properly spooky image - I really like it. Perfect control of the exposure - I really like all of them, but the one with the person is just great!

Week 1 - Fruit

Not a very inspiring effort this week, I struggled a bit with it though. Firstly, we had very little fruit in the house and not a lot of time to get out to the supermarket and find some. Secondly, I have no macro lens, so that ruled out any detailed shots. I really wanted to be inventive, but failed on this one. In the end, all I had was lighting to play with. I used an iPad with to throw a yellow light on the pineapple to try and make it slightly more interesting, all I did in post was darken the shadows slightly, adjust the exposure and contrast and increase the clarity a bit.

Two weeks in a row and both have been dark images...I need to head over to the light side next week I think!

Thanks both, appreciate you taking the time to look and give feedback!

Another thumbs up for the dark processing on this, it really suits the image. :)

Fruit
The lighting shows the textures well and I do like the dark background, but I think the pineapple could have done with a bit more light.

That's inventive and I'm inspired. :cool:

Not a very inspiring effort this week, I struggled a bit with it though. Firstly, we had very little fruit in the house and not a lot of time to get out to the supermarket and find some. Secondly, I have no macro lens, so that ruled out any detailed shots. I really wanted to be inventive, but failed on this one. In the end, all I had was lighting to play with. I used an iPad with to throw a yellow light on the pineapple to try and make it slightly more interesting, all I did in post was darken the shadows slightly, adjust the exposure and contrast and increase the clarity a bit.

But .... I think I'd like to see more/most of the pineapple in focus.

I agree with the above. I like this shot.. the highlighted texture and shadow make it instantly recognisable. The only change I would personally make would be to crop a little from the top - but that's just me.

The lighting you've got in there is very nice, there just needs to be a little bit more.

That's inventive and I'm inspired. :cool:
But .... I think I'd like to see more/most of the pineapple in focus.

Thank you, I appreciate that, I was shooting hand-held at f/1.8, so DoF was always going to be an issue. Fair comment though, will try a tripod next time!

To those who thought it could use a touch more light, I’ll have another go at the processing and see what I can do!

Again, thanks to all who have looked and/or commented - it’s really helping to keep me engaged and motivated to actually finish a 52!

I agree with @d00d, I'd like to see more DoF.
You've said you'd try a tripod next time. I definitely recommend the use of a tripod for tabletop shots like this, 99% of mine will have been with the camera locked off on a tripod and a long exposure so I can make the most of led lighting rather than flash.

I agree with @d00d, I'd like to see more DoF.
You've said you'd try a tripod next time. I definitely recommend the use of a tripod for tabletop shots like this, 99% of mine will have been with the camera locked off on a tripod and a long exposure so I can make the most of led lighting rather than flash.

Fair comment, seems logical with hindsight too. I guess I was rushing it a bit, rather than taking my time and enjoying the process.

Reactions: LC2
Good effort but defo needs more light

I really like the darker images, and the colouring of the pineapple from the bounced light is great here. Probably could have been a bit lighter but still think it's a great creative image.

I like the lighting and the texture that the processing has brought out.

Looks a little green to me - but could just be my monitor...

And, whilst I can't really comment after my fruit effort, a bit more light to bring out the structure, whilst keeping the black background, would make the shot.

Back