Critique Kilchurn Castle this morning

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
After a particularly lacklustre visit here three weeks back I was keen to go back. The conditions were a lot better this time but sadly there is very little snow down here. I will be in Glencoe tomorrow to try capture some winter magic.

The forecast was for rain this AM but with some sunlight around 9am. And thats what happened.

Cold and damp but at least still

_DSC6951 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Then the light came

_DSC7012 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

And a quick portrait

_DSC7015 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Finally I think I have my 2016 photography journey started :D

Loving the second one Steve, but there's quite a halo along the mountain top on the left hand side.
Not so keen on the portrait version.

Reactions: ST4
A great example in teaching others about the importance of light.

The 2nd one is completely perfected. You had great conditions and made the most of it. The misery of the first shot illustrates so well what difference the light and weather make.

Loving the second one Steve, but there's quite a halo along the mountain top on the left hand side.
Not so keen on the portrait version.

Thanks Ruth. I've checked the full res and it seems ok. Actually more than ok, it will print massive. Its only had minimal sharpening and chromatic aberation was removed (although at 48mm there isn't much of that on the 24-70).

I suspect resizing is the culprit.

Thanks Ruth. I've checked the full res and it seems ok. Actually more than ok, it will print massive. Its only had minimal sharpening and chromatic aberation was removed (although at 48mm there isn't much of that on the 24-70).

I suspect resizing is the culprit.

Yep possibly.
Shame though as it's a little distracting in the only places I can see it...here and Flickr :(

No2 for Steve. Sublime mate.
Not a crit, but a personal thing, but I'd take a fraction off of the right hand side.
Great work mate, as per usual!

I think the stark contrast between 1 and 2 is a great example to show people when you say 'you need the light' which I see you do quite a lot - here is the evidence folks!

Very nice mate, 2 is the shot! Such great light. Shame there isn't a bit more snow but can't win them all.

Yep, #2 is the one! Really very nice,,,,:clap:

Not much more that I can add- that second image is superlative, great work.

Yes Steve just echoing what's already been said, if ever there was classic example, and this excellent as there almost identical.
Beautiful No 2 Steve Great set(y)
I have seen the forecast and they reckon the Snow's coming in today so fingers crossed for you!

Yes Steve just echoing what's already been said, if ever there was classic example, and this excellent as there almost identical.
Beautiful No 2 Steve Great set(y)
I have seen the forecast and they reckon the Snow's coming in today so fingers crossed for you!

I hope so. I was at Loch Tulla and the Buachaille today. There's remarkably little snow and it's pretty mild.

Hopefully a nice covering then a freeze to keep it there would do wonders

Light wise today's aren't a patch on yesterday's but I'll work them the best I can.

I hope so. I was at Loch Tulla and the Buachaille today. There's remarkably little snow and it's pretty mild.

Hopefully a nice covering then a freeze to keep it there would do wonders

Light wise today's aren't a patch on yesterday's but I'll work them the best I can.
I have do doubt you'll make the most of it Steve. Its looking like -6 on the mountain weather forecast for Buachaille starting to drop tomorrow, light snow tonight. Still pretty windy.
Gook Luck!

I have do doubt you'll make the most of it Steve. Its looking like -6 on the mountain weather forecast for Buachaille starting to drop tomorrow, light snow tonight. Still pretty windy.
Gook Luck!

All I will say its amazing what you can eek out of a D800 raw.

I'm unable to get to Glencoe until Sunday again due to work etc but if the snows there I'll take a crack at it or even Rannoch Moor.

Back