Critique Kilchurn Castle

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
So despite living just 50 or so miles away, I'd never been to Kilchurn Castle near Dalmally, Scotland.

My first faux pas was missing sunrise which by all accounts was stunning yesterday. I had nice, calm waters but very harsh light despite this being taken around 9am.

No clouds meant no detail on the sky and I chose to balance this out by ensuring some interest was left in the foreground. I've another shot without this but admittedly like this one best! (May post the other for comparison if C&C dictates).

Thanks for looking as always.

Ian

Kilchurn Castle Reflection by Ian Williams, on Flickr

Last edited:

Scottish as it may be, I don't like the spider web in the
second window… otherwise just superb to me, Ian! :D

Beautifully serene and calm. Keep the foreground interest, it makes the shot.

Where's the photo gone?

Still there so far as I can see, Ken? I haven't altered anything in Flickr at all to have broken the URL etc. Be interested if anyone else has an issue seeing it.

Its on the initial post as you scroll through the new posts but as soon as you open the thread to read it the pic isn't there, dunno if using the app on my phone is the issue

Think it might be a phone app issue just looked using my iPad and it’s there, nice picture btw, I like how the stones lead you in

Think it might be a phone app issue just looked using my iPad and it’s there, nice picture btw, I like how the stones lead you in
Thank you, for the comments and for persevering! [emoji16]

My first impression was that the castle was too small in the frame but actually it's just right, gives the impression of solitude and space which is enhanced by the stillness of the water and cool tones, great shot.

I really love this.

I just wonder if the composition could've been improved by moving to the left of the foreground rocks. That would place them to the right of the frame offering some sort of diagonal balance with the Castle - there seems too much 'lost' space on the right.

Still love it though :)

The composition is fine and it's nice to see an image taken on a bright, clear sunny day. We get too few of these here in Scotland and I feel it is important we celebrate them too and shoot in them. Not everything has to be "moody"

My downner is that bloody great big ripple distracting the calm. That would upset me majorly had I been there

Back