Kilchurn, September 2017.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
Yeah, I know, Kilchurn again but all I seem to do these days is go over old images as I'm not taking photos at the moment. A brand new 5Dmkiv sitting in my bag with less than 300 activations since September is testament to that. I'm not getting the time or conditions to get out and do what I want and reflections require specific conditons and this weekend isn't going to come up trumps by the look of it either. Taken the day of my car accident, which has knocked me out of sorts a bit but I have to get up there and face my demons soon, especially right hand bends with oncoming motorcycles.

No dramatic light, but I was there, so had to.

Kilchurn, (again). by Dale, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hope your ok. Sounds like a bad on. People don't realise how dangerous the roads can be.

Very striking image- there is a pleasing freshness to your take on that familiar but magnificent scene. Your capture of the reflection of the castle is very strong and effective, and your foreground interest and lead-in work really well.

"Excellent" shot Sir, nuff said.(y)

George.

Very nice image its a place i'm hoping to visit through the coming holidays i have seen so many fantastic shots from here and living in Scotland it's within reach of a couple of hours :)

It's clearly a very well considered composition that works for me.

With regard the accident, just think how many times you have driven through a right hand bend without a motorbike coming towards you. I'm certainly not telling you how to drive and my understanding is that it was not your fault. However, careful positioning of the car to the nearside when entering right hand bends will increase your vision, basically extending the limit point (how far you can see). Whilst it won't stop an out of control motorbike hitting you, hopefully it will allow you to see that the road is clear and that is not going to happen earlier than if you were more offside, which will allow you to relax more and get back to driving places to take lovely photos like the above image.

Very striking image- there is a pleasing freshness to your take on that familiar but magnificent scene. Your capture of the reflection of the castle is very strong and effective, and your foreground interest and lead-in work really well.

Thank you, much appreciated. I think there are loads of compositions to be had at this spot, and I'm only just getting to know the place. I've not been back since the begining of September, I'm a sucker for reflections and the weather hasn't really been playing ball since then. The rocks close to the shore provide good foreground interest and I'm always looking for something a little different.

Exceptional

Means a lot from you Steve, thank you.

"Excellent" shot Sir, nuff said.(y)

George.

Cheers George, glad you like it.

It doesn't need dramatic light. The subject, subtle natural tones and framing all make for a fantastic shot.

Thank you. The light wasn't good at all this day although it did start off very promising. I have seen some absolute stunners from here when the sky lights up with the early morning sun, hitting the side of the castle too. I won't be happy until I get that, hopefully with some snow and light on the hills too but reflections are a must here.

Very nice image its a place i'm hoping to visit through the coming holidays i have seen so many fantastic shots from here and living in Scotland it's within reach of a couple of hours :)

Thank you. Just about 2 hours for me, I should go there more than I do.

With regard the accident, just think how many times you have driven through a right hand bend without a motorbike coming towards you. I'm certainly not telling you how to drive and my understanding is that it was not your fault. However, careful positioning of the car to the nearside when entering right hand bends will increase your vision, basically extending the limit point (how far you can see). Whilst it won't stop an out of control motorbike hitting you, hopefully it will allow you to see that the road is clear and that is not going to happen earlier than if you were more offside, which will allow you to relax more and get back to driving places to take lovely photos like the above image.

Thank you Craig, appreciated.

The motorbike came out of nowhere, from behind an approaching car, I just about managed to squeeze to the left without ditching it myself and the biker just about squeezed between me and the oncoming car that he was overtaking, wiping the side of my car out in the process. 6 inches less, and he'd have been over my car. It was over in a second. I didn't have a scratch but I am having difficulties with bends and blind dips/crests. A good excuse to get up there and face my fears.

Last edited:
Lovely shot Dale
I hope you get out there soon.

Someone’s been doing some additional driver training.

The problem, as I’m sure you’re aware, is that with broad cars and narrow carriageways your road position can’t be adjusted as much as you’d like.

Someone’s been doing some additional driver training.

The problem, as I’m sure you’re aware, is that with broad cars and narrow carriageways your road position can’t be adjusted as much as you’d like.

On my recent trip to your part of the world we hired a camper van, you were constantly looking in your mirrors tweaking your road position because it took up nearly the entire lane. We saw a couple of wing mirrors on the road over the narrow bridges too. Yes, I enjoy driving (well not so much in the south east) and have done some training over the years.

We saw a couple of wing mirrors on the road

If one of them was British Racing Green, it was mine. :LOL:

Regarding my accident, I had about 6 inches of room to my left before my tyres would've been over and into a ditch, bearing in mind the motorbike was taking up half of my lane.

It was on a right hander for me, a left hander for him obviously. I am convinced he loooked up the left hand side of the car he was overtaking and never saw me as that car was in his line of sight. If he'd waited until he got to the straight proper, it wouldn't have happened.

I must admit to sitting there smuggly waiting on the police, thinking I probably saved his life by squeezing as much as I could out of the A82. :angelic:

I'm a biker too, and I position my bike as Craig mentions, it improves your line of sight. The move that biker made is not one I would make.

Thanks for the comment Mike, appreciated.(y)

Last edited:
On my recent trip to your part of the world we hired a camper van, you were constantly looking in your mirrors tweaking your road position because it took up nearly the entire lane. We saw a couple of wing mirrors on the road over the narrow bridges too. Yes, I enjoy driving (well not so much in the south east) and have done some training over the years.

I love cars and driving too much for a camper van, I know for my trips abroad it would be ideal but like the E350 too much ;)

Back