Beginner Kingfisher and squirrels

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
I had heard of a place about 15 miles away where this kingfisher has been spotted. I packed up my camera bag and headed off to South Park in Darlington. After a thorough walk backwards and forwards and getting my 10,000 steps towards my Vitality life insurance rewards (winner), a finally saw a flash of blue over the river. There it was, landed on a branch. By the time I had whacked on my 300mm prime and steadied myself, I managed a couple of shots on Auto before it flew off. Spritely little thing. Anyway, with a heavy crop, this is what turned out. Not the best I know but its the first time I've seen a kingfisher and I was amazed how bright and colourful they are. I also got a couple of nice shots of squirrels. Opinions welcome.
DSC_0007 by jason greenwood, on Flickr
DSC_0008 by jason greenwood, on Flickr
DSC_0012 by jason greenwood, on Flickr
DSC_0014 by jason greenwood, on Flickr

It's about being there, seeing them and having a go at capturing them, and that's just what you've done!
I remember sitting ages in a freezing hide waiting for the flash of blue...
Made a real mess of my first attempt, yours are excellent.
Hope it spurs you on to revisit, - it did me.
Love that patch of light on the eye of the Squirrel in 1

Thanks. I saw the light poking through the trees and the squirrel on the branch so just snapped a shot off. Lucky I guess. I'm trying not to scratch that "I now need a 600 lens to get that pesky Kingfisher" itch. lol

I love kingfishers! I have only ever seen one and I was lucky enough to get a photo, which, like you, I had to crop quite heavily to see it! That was almost 2 years ago.

Back