Kingfisher portrait

Very nice Russ, two great poses on a good perch with clean backgrounds (y)

Just needs the dark area down the right in the 2nd getting rid of ;)

- I've tried Phil, but had no success :(

Russ, I did this yesterday, took me no more than a couple of minutes.

A shot like you have here is great to practise on because of the uniformed background

What software are you using?

_MG_6059 edit.jpg

I use only Lightroom 5 (the original, not the CC version)

I'm not familiar with lightroom at all Russ but I'm sure there'll be a clone option, what did you struggle with? Happy to help any way I can.

And the other thing that seems to be a 'trend' :D just lately is, does it really matter about the dark area down the right? Most folks don't seem distracted by it.

Maybe its just me Russ but my thinking is we spend all this money on gear, many times, hours outside in all weathers waiting for that one shot, when it does come along its not always perfect or look how we hoped.

PP'ing is just another tool, weapon in our armoury if ya like, and if it can help make presentation better with a bit of cloning, why not use it :)

Hi Phil - there is a Clone tool and a Heal tool in LR5, and I do regularly use them, but the dark area in this image has defeated me I'm afraid - so I'll just let it be, and try harder to check the background in future shots!
Many thanks for the interest shown in this image :)
All the Best,
Russ

- thanks John - who'd have thought that these beauties would ever nest on the banks of the polluted R Don :)

Russ
It's no longer polluted Russ, I know quite a few who say the fishing is now excellent. Hence the Kingfisher.
Have a good Christmas Mate and a very happy and productive [camera wise] New Year.

Two lovely shots,Russ. Vibrant and good detail.

Hi Phil - there is a Clone tool and a Heal tool in LR5, and I do regularly use them, but the dark area in this image has defeated me I'm afraid - so I'll just let it be, and try harder to check the background in future shots!
Many thanks for the interest shown in this image :)
All the Best,
Russ

Russ..I have LR 3,4 and now 6..all perpetual, as they say..stand-alone ..and for cloning and selective sharpening (using a mask) I use Elements 11. In LR6 Develop mode I go to ‘Photo’ on the top line and a list of options drops down.I select the Elements 11 I put there and the photo goes there. I send the photo into Define2 for NR too(Nik software) using the same route. I select ‘with/retain original edits too to retain what I did in LR..After the editing just close the window and click ‘Replace’ and the photo goes back into LR Develop alongside the original as a TIFF file. You select that before sending it. You can have a free trial of Elements 11. Cloning out the black area would be done in 30 seconds using a medium or large size brush and you’d never know the black had been there. I never found the clone tool in LR4 anywhere near as good and easy as Elements 11. I haven’ t tried it in LR6 but examples of it show it to be good. Maybe you can get an earlier Elements..cheaper. I’ll try the clone tool in LR6 but I’m very comfortable with Elements 11. With my original LR3 there was no clone tool,I don’t think so...The full PS was way more than I needed as it is for most people hence the popularity of LR..sort of..PS lite..and a friend suggested getting Elements 11 just for those two very important tools.

Maybe something to consider.

It's no longer polluted Russ, I know quite a few who say the fishing is now excellent. Hence the Kingfisher.
Have a good Christmas Mate and a very happy and productive [camera wise] New Year.
- Hi john; thanks for response; the River Don certainly looks better than it did when I were a nipper!
I hope you too have a great Christmas and New Year, mate :)

Russ

Maybe something to consider.
- Many thanks for detailed explanation, John, much appreciated :) It certainly is an approach to consider, because I find LR5 otherwise meets all my non-demanding PP needs.
What I have just been trying though in LR is to remove the crop from the image, and to use the Clone tool to clone from clean areas outside the smaller cropped area and to finally crop back to the desired size. Seems blindingly obvious now, but It had never occurred to me before!!
So:
_MG_6059.JPG

Have a great Christmas and New Year

Russ

- Many thanks for detailed explanation, John, much appreciated :) It certainly is an approach to consider, because I find LR5 otherwise meets all my non-demanding PP needs.
What I have just been trying though in LR is to remove the crop from the image, and to use the Clone tool to clone from clean areas outside the smaller cropped area and to finally crop back to the desired size. Seems blindingly obvious now, but It had never occurred to me before!!
So:
View attachment 140872

Have a great Christmas and New Year

Russ

Well done, Russ, hope that worked ok.

All the best for the season,too.

“Excellent” set of images, nuff said.(y)

George.

Great captures with really nice backgrounds, I love these birds, so colourful but bloody hard to find.

Great captures with really nice backgrounds, I love these birds, so colourful but bloody hard to find.
- Many thanks Paul, glad you like them :)
- this is a young male which fledged earlier this year from a breeding pair on our local river. Fortunately they regularly fish in front of a public hide near the river bank; always a pleasure to see them!

Russ

Back