Kingfisher with fish

Nicely captured, this is all over in a blur and you've frozen a moment in time.

Amazing capture.

WB could be warmed up slightly and shift it towards green away from magenta to give the best colour tones.
Thanks to everyone for their kind comments. PP is not my favourite part of the process so thanks for the suggestion I will give it a try.

Great timing, nice and sharp.

On a technical note, at first glance it does look a little bit 'magenta' but when you hover over the whites with the white balance tool, they are within 0.3% of being perfect, so I think its just a little bit of colour in the background affecting things.

I'd leave it just as it is

Mike

In the RAW converter you'll see a pipette icon. Click on it and the cursor turns into the pipette. As you drag the pipette over various parts of the image look at the numbers under the multi coloured histogram near where the pipette was at the start.

In Lightroom the numbers are a percentage, in DPP4 they are a number between 1-255.

There will be 3 sets of numbers - RGB standing for Red Green and Blue.

When you hover over what should be a perfectly neutral area (Don't use an area that's blown out) the numbers should all be the same. If not, click the pipette on that area and it should alter the WB.

From there you may need to make small manual adjustments with the sliders to reflect the light at time of shooting - i.e. if you shot in warm light, using this technique will neutralise the warm light.

It does give a good starting point for nice whites though.

Hope that makes a little sense, if not let me know

Mike

Mike you have taught me a useful trick, thank you. I will use this to get a balance in my images in future.

just wow, always amazed that people can catch these bird in flight and deliver crisp images.

On a technical note, at first glance it does look a little bit 'magenta' but when you hover over the whites with the white balance tool, they are within 0.3% of being perfect, so I think its just a little bit of colour in the background affecting things.

I'd say the "white" bit should be ever so slightly green because it is all rendered in the lens "blending" with the greenery all around it. Nice vivid green helps to pop such images just like in the 2nd one which is also excellent.

I would seriously have that framed and on my living room wall as big as i dare go, if i ever managed to capture an image like that one !!

Back