Kingfisher

Name
Vince
Edit My Images
Yes
https://flic.kr/p/wyZyq8
I was disappointed to see that the grass seed heads obscured this Kingfisher when it landed on a nearby perch but managed to focus on it. I quite like the look of the shot and the eye is nice and sharp and unobscured.
Kingfisher 5 by Vince Cowell, on Flickr

Last edited:
Can understand you disappointment but still nice to be there and get the picture.

Can understand you disappointment but still nice to be there and get the picture.
Thanks Mike, I'm not disappointed with the shot. It was just my initial thought when I saw it land on the perch. As Dennis says it gives a good idea of it in its natural surroundings whilst still remaining large in the frame :)

It is always tricky to shoot through such vegetation but as you say the eye is nicely in focus so you did a great job.

Looking on Flickr and magnified a bit the image looks a bit blotchy. Have you used some heavy NR ?

That said, this is a very small point and it is a great spot and a lovely pose captured well.

Well focused through the grass, now get the strimmer out for next time :D

It is always tricky to shoot through such vegetation but as you say the eye is nicely in focus so you did a great job.

Looking on Flickr and magnified a bit the image looks a bit blotchy. Have you used some heavy NR ?

That said, this is a very small point and it is a great spot and a lovely pose captured well.
Probably not a significant amount of NR but it is a reasonable crop too. Those 2 things combined might give the image a blotchy look. I haven't noticed but then I haven't looked to closely. Just happy to get a King in front of the lens. Cheers.

Its a lovely shot (y) I'm a little unsure on the grass but as mentioned above, you have some great stuff on Flickr, I wish all my record shots looked like that :D

The background is messy and there are oof grasses in front of him but if you have not got any kingfisher shots then any shot is a good start - it can only get better - a shame as the bird is sharp and quite detailed

Stan

…'twas a coffee brake and thought why not!
Suggestion: (you could do better with the RAW file)

kingfisherpp.jpg

I know the feeling, Vince! My first session only lasted seconds and had grasses waving in the way too. I have since taken better pics of the same bird (and cut the grasses!) but so far without a fish.

Kingfisher_9594.jpg

I know the feeling, Vince! My first session only lasted seconds and had grasses waving in the way too. I have since taken better pics of the same bird (and cut the grasses!) but so far without a fish.

Kingfisher_9594.jpg
Great photo of a stickleback. Pity that big blue and orange bird photobombed you;-)

Great photo of a stickleback. Pity that big blue and orange bird photobombed you;-)

....LOL :LOL: That literally made me laugh out loud, Vince.

Back