Kingfisher

Name
Calum
Edit My Images
Yes
Finally managed to bag a Kingfisher up close the other day after several blanks and at least ten hours in the hide. This time however, I opened the door and it was perched on the depth marker. Shots are taken with a Nikon D7100 paired with the Nikon 200-500 f5.6.
Unfortunately the light was pretty poor on the marker itself but improved when the bird moved onto a nearby branch.

DSC_7301 by Calum Linnen, on Flickr

DSC_7321 by Calum Linnen, on Flickr

DSC_7410 by Calum Linnen, on Flickr

DSC_7384 by Calum Linnen, on Flickr

DSC_7404 by Calum Linnen, on Flickr

A distant shot of the pair in between fishing.

DSC_7447 by Calum Linnen, on Flickr

Thanks for looking. As ever, I'm keen to hear what you think.

Calum

Great set, #3 has it for the pose and lighting, but the wider distant shot #6 I really like as it shows them in full context, and a pair too is always a treat!!
I gave it 4 hours waiting at the weekend for one of our kingy's with no luck, but your persistence/patience paid off here.
(y)

Great set, #3 has it for the pose and lighting, but the wider distant shot #6 I really like as it shows them in full context, and a pair too is always a treat!!
I gave it 4 hours waiting at the weekend for one of our kingy's with no luck, but your persistence/patience paid off here.
(y)

Thanks. Got to admit that no.3 is my pick too. the location in 6 is where they tend to do their most fishing from which is frustrating as it's just too far for decent pictures. They are certainly a test of patience!

I love the last one I rarely see more than 1 in the same photo and in their natural surrounding... Do you have something a bit more up-close?

I love the last one I rarely see more than 1 in the same photo and in their natural surrounding... Do you have something a bit more up-close?

Unfortunately not. This was taken with a 500mm lens on a cropped body with a converter, so gives you some idea of the distance. They've been sat like that quite a few times when I've been there.

Morton Lochs proving to be very popular just now! ;)

It certainly is. I wondered if anyone would recognise the location.
Spent all day there yesterday, but the Kingies weren't being very obliging - they spent most of their time on the bullrushes at the other side. However, I was there a week earlier and posted up a few half decent pics. :D

Last edited:
Spent all day there yesterday, but the Kingies weren't being very obliging - they spent most of their time on the bullrushes at the other side. However, I was there a week earlier and posted up a few half decent pics. :D

They're more often than not there when I'm in the hide too. These were taken last Tuesday (17th) and are the first set that I've been happy with from there. Think I'll wait a while before going back though as it's still unbelievably busy.

Lovely to capture them, especially the two together ... keep trying to get the two closer to you. :)

Callum, pleasant images but the individual bird shots suffer from poor cropping and positioning, (composition) in the frame ...........which is easily rectified

when you have a plain bg try to put the bird in the best possible position in the frame

The colours of the Kingfisher need bringing out more as especially the blues as it can look a little dismal and drab in poor light and try to keep a consistency in colouring

Last edited:
Great pics, tried to get one in flight the other day, no chance with my lens

Callum, pleasant images but the individual bird shots suffer from poor cropping and positioning, (composition) in the frame ...........which is easily rectified

when you have a plain bg try to put the bird in the best possible position in the frame

The colours of the Kingfisher need bringing out more as especially the blues as it can look a little dismal and drab in poor light and try to keep a consistency in colouring

Thanks for the advice. I'll have another look at them soon and see what I can do.

Back