Kingfisher

Actually a hide recommended from a thread on this site. Pete Whieldon from Otterbourne, Hampshire. He is really nice chap and very helpful. If the Kingfisher doesn't show then he doesn't charge, but it turned up about 6 times during the day, regrettably the light was not good early on. Not a bad place to cut your teeth on!

Was it really that green? Nice shots though of a striking little bird, good use of limited dof.
Matt

Excellent timing, well done indeed (y)

Was it really that green? Nice shots though of a striking little bird, good use of limited dof.
Matt
Yes it was that green! White balance set to 6200 as recommended by Pete Whieldon, the hide owner who is a keen photographer himself. The background is natural plants and foliage cultivated by Pete to give a good backdrop. It is about 15 - 20 mtrs behind the perch giving good separation.
As I said, a good place to cut your teeth on. The light was poor early on but improved as the day progressed. I will certainly give it another try in the summer and may even go if we get some snow as it is only about 20 miles from me.

Does their plumage change for winter/summer, most of the ones I have seen on here are brilliant blue, so this green isnt something I have seen (on here) before.

Matt

....Bear in mind that Kingfishers are continually getting wet and dry and that this, combined with natural light, greatly influences the colours we see and capture on camera. Also, many of the Kingfisher photos posted on the internet have been over enthusiastically colour saturated! ('cos Kingfishers are supposed to be blue aren't they).

White balance set to 6200 as recommended by Pete Whieldon, the hide owner who is a keen photographer himself. The background is natural plants and foliage cultivated by Pete to give a good backdrop. It is about 15 - 20 mtrs behind the perch giving good separation.
As I said, a good place to cut your teeth on. The light was poor early on but improved as the day progressed. I will certainly give it another try in the summer and may even go if we get some snow as it is only about 20 miles from me.

....Hmm, like many wildlife photographers I am slightly sceptical about photographing from hides but it does depend on the hide and who is operating it. Afterall, surely we all try to hide or conceal ourselves even when on walkabout and I even have a military tank camouflage net as a kitchen window curtain (is this why I have not remarried I wonder) and another camo net screen in my garden. My neighbours don't quite understand and have over manicured lawns looking like green Wilton carpet.

My photography skills are not improved by using a hide but the opportunities are increased. And don't most RSPB etc reserves have hides?

It doesn't help that so many commercially run hides are expensive and that some go too far and look far from natural. Some reflection pools are probably the worst offenders.

Anyway, thanks to your post and Hampshire only being an hour and a half's drive away, I might look into it and go if it's not too expensive.

Great image that first one, whether it was from a hide or not you captured the moment well. I suppose if you want a Kingfisher shot and don't know where they frequent then a hide is as good a place as any to get started.

Back