Kingfisher

Kingfisher titles will always catch my attention and this one was well worth the click, a lovely shot and a refreshing change to see one on a rock rather than an obviously placed perch.

Saturation looks OK to me, maybe a little over but not by much, maybe it's a little warm on the white balance?

Hi Dale
Thanks for you comments and i will say i was lucky as the Kingfisher decided to completely ignore the perch and settle on the rock in the steam. Totally unexpected, but still managed a shot or two.
Going to revisit the image tonight after i have re-calibrated my monitor as it is long over due.

Lovely shot Ade, as said, the position/pose of the bird is superb and the rock makes a great perch (y)

Only viewing on me laptop so won't comment on the saturation but will be interesting to take a look at the monitor later

Very very nice perch and pose Ade

Looks fine now, Ade. A very nice capture, good location.

We have some workmen renovating the house next door (Gloucester) and one of them showed me his iPhone photo of a juvenile King Fisher which he found a couple of days ago in his wood pile at home by the Glos & Sharpness Canal. He had the bird in his hand. He'd heard a flapping sound and that's what he found. He then took it to a wildlife rescue centre and they will feed it and generally see that it's ok and release it. Always good to hear a a tale like that. I was impressed with the quality of the iPhone photo too.

Lovely second image too, lovely pose.

I'm wondering if it's more a white balance thing as both images look a little warm here. Take that with a certain measure of salt as there will be a difference in monitors, even calibrated ones.

Top work though. (y)

I'm wondering if it's more a white balance thing as both images look a little warm here. Take that with a certain measure of salt as there will be a difference in monitors, even calibrated ones.
Out of curiosity are you on PC or Mac? I am on Mac with 5K Retina and beginning to wonder if it is that causing me to slight over process. Either that or my old eyes are not what they used to be :thinking:

Out of curiosity are you on PC or Mac? I am on Mac with 5K Retina and beginning to wonder if it is that causing me to slight over process. Either that or my old eyes are not what they used to be :thinking:

PC, with a monitor that is over 3 years old now, it is calibrated with a Spyder 4 Pro though. I will run a calibration later, it could be my side.

My eyes are getting old now too, so we can rule that out. ;):LOL:

ref saturation/vibrance, I am on an uncalibrated laptop, the red and orange does look a tad too much, try cooling the white balance a bit or reducing the orange saturation

mind you I can probably be the blind leading the gang ;):LOL::LOL::LOL:

First up they are nice shots, especially the first which has a much better head angle. Great to see her on a rock for a change.

Regarding the processing, the colours do look a little odd, but kingies are notorious for looking different depending on the light.

I've sent you a quick PM

Mike

Thanks for all the comments, suggestions and offers of help, but I think I have gotten to the bottom of the issues with the colours, I had forgotten to turn off one of my presets when importing into LR. Going to have another go at processing and see what that brings

Back