Kingfishers Diving

cracking shots
what kit did you use ?

Last edited:
Ross simply these kingy type shots always have and always will amaze me. Is it essentilaly,camera on tripod, prefocus and use a remote to fire then hope like hell one is fast enough... also would you be so kind as to pop the techs up please.

Oh and I guess cheers muchly for sharing is also in order wicked to see mate good for you

stu

Ross simply these kingy type shots always have and always will amaze me. Is it essentilaly,camera on tripod, prefocus and use a remote to fire then hope like hell one is fast enough... also would you be so kind as to pop the techs up please.

Oh and I guess cheers muchly for sharing is also in order wicked to see mate good for you

stu

Yes, you simply have to 'pre-focus' below where the bird is perched, and hope that the bird will enter or leave the water at that point. Obviously there is a bit of luck involved in that regard. My camera was resting on a beanbag in the hide, and I was firing with a remote release. Believe it or not, when you see the bird leave the perch, very often it is already underwater before you press the shutter (or maybe my reactions are just s***e! lol) But after a while I got better at it, and tried to pre-empt the dive.
Settings for these were 1/6400 sec at f5 and Auto ISO

No 2 looks OOF No1 looks like it could benefit from some NR as its possibly the best of the three imho.
No 3 is a decent clean image,with the water spray making it stand out ,would be nice to have had a better HA but you pays you money you takes what you can get on the day.
(y)

Great timing! Perhaps a smaller aperture to give a slightly larger DoF would help (dont you love hindsight!!)

TFS

Rossco ....In my opinion the shot showing emerging bird with catch is an award winning capture (y):eek: :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:...............Get it entered in some comps with serious prizes;)

Back