Kingfishers

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Over the past few years i have been keeping an eye on 2 pairs of Kingfishers on my local river. Back in 2014 i did get a few shots but a combination of no time
because of 2 babies of our own and the Rivers Agency here in Northern Ireland clearing large sections of the river bank of all trees and bushes means that there
has been no shots of them since. I had still been keeping an eye on the last year and with stuff starting to grow back along the banks i took the opportunity back in the autumn of putting a couple of
perches up where i thought it would suit them and me. The male in particular seems to like one of them and i have been getting a few shots over the last couple of weeks.
They are feeding young at the minute, when they have fledged i want to change a couple of things as so much vegetation has grown up that i can't see him hitting the water or flying back and forth now.

A few shots, will add more later

Kingfisher 10-5-17 (4 of 16)
by Philip Blair, on Flickr

Kingfisher 10-5-17 (8 of 16)

Kingfisher 10-5-17 (12 of 16) by Philip Blair, on Flickr

Kingfisher 10-5-17 (14 of 16)

Kingfisher 10-5-17 (13 of 16)

Nice bit of research and preparation which has paid off with some nice shots ... not disturbing the area now will help ensure that they will pose for you in the future :)

The shots are really great, good poses!
But aren't the colours too fainted, or mute?

My translator I'm afraid is not helping much
here I think!

They are feeding young at the minute, when they have fledged i want to change a couple of things as so much vegetation has grown up that i can't see him hitting the water or flying back and forth now.
Hi,nice shots of the Kingfisher ...colours of the birds look Ok to me..On the subject of moving things ,considering you are close to the nest i would leave things well alone,its more than likely that this is a established nest site ,and the chances are in a couple of weeks when the young from this brood have fledged the birds will go for a second brood,the birds choose the site for a number of reasons and having lots of vegitation around is one of them ,in my opinion the only moving around should be from yourself ...

Hi,nice shots of the Kingfisher ...colours of the birds look Ok to me..On the subject of moving things ,considering you are close to the nest i would leave things well alone,its more than likely that this is a established nest site ,and the chances are in a couple of weeks when the young from this brood have fledged the birds will go for a second brood,the birds choose the site for a number of reasons and having lots of vegitation around is one of them ,in my opinion the only moving around should be from yourself ...
Thanks Den. I am around 150 meters from the nest and never go any closer. I have just been lucky in my positioning of this perch, it is just at the point of where a small stream runs into the main river and seems to be a good fishing position. The male in particular uses it regularly. I am just going to move my position slightly so I can see the point of where he hits the water.

Some nice shots here.

Have you tried the Dehaze tool at all in LR or PS? I reckon it'd bring these out a lot better!
Thanks. I only have the stand alone version of lightroom and it doesn't have the dehaze tool. I will take another look at them anyway.

Thanks. I only have the stand alone version of lightroom and it doesn't have the dehaze tool. I will take another look at them anyway.

Hi Phil,

For comparison, I just imported into LR as default and then adjusted the dehaze slider to +60 and the exposure by +0.30.

I think the colours are a bit more richer (y)

king-2.jpg

Back