Kiria

Name
Simon (Prefer 'Si')
Edit My Images
No
Sometimes, an unexpected turn of events can lead to a really good shoot... I was in my local soft-play centre with the kids a couple of weeks ago and Kiria walked in with her other half and their little boy. I happened to mention to the owner of the centre that this young lady would look awesome in front of the camera but there was no way that I was going to walk up to a complete stranger and tell her that I thought she'd look good in pictures! (I didn't fancy getting thrown out or arrested) :D

The owner of the centre knows Kiria and told her what I'd said. After a bit of embarrassment on my part, we hit it off really well and she agreed to do a shoot for me. Kiria came over yesterday with her family and we had a fantastic session. She's never modelled before and was nervous enough that she'd actually brought a bottle of wine with her to calm her down. :)

These were shot on a Nikon D750 and a Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 along with a set of Elemental Nano 3 heads and one off-camera flash.

Apologies for the artefacts in some of the pictures... Flickr's compression really louses up images sometimes. :/

She is certainly a eye catching lady. I do like the colour shots because of the blue highlights which I feel add to the drama.

The most important question, does she like the shots?

...The most important question, does she like the shots?

She's like a kid in a sweet shop Mark! :D The best bit about the whole shoot was showing her the photos last night. :)

It was an absolute pleasure to see how much she liked them and to top it off, she's just asked me if we can do another shoot soon.

I like them but agree with SImon on the skin, which I think you've taken a notch too far. She also looks like she's got coal miners hands in in number 5 as a result of the b&w conversion, so maybe some dodging to brighten them up would help?

Thanks for the comments... The skin looks ok on my monitor but I can always go and dial it back a bit. I agree about her hands though... I think a bit of dodging's in order. :)

No, the hands look like that because I added a vignette to it but forgot to paint it away from the hands... My bad!

You need a kicker in 4, 5 & 6 - she disappears into background. Loving #2 - but a shame you clipped her elbow. I'd lose the bright thing on the right too.

Interesting photos. I wouldn't walk up to her and start a conversation though. lol

You need a kicker in 4, 5 & 6 - she disappears into background. Loving #2 - but a shame you clipped her elbow. I'd lose the bright thing on the right too.

That must be an issue at your end Ian. She quite definitely stands out from the background on mine. I agree about the elbow but the 'bright thing' was a considered inclusion. :)

Interesting photos. I wouldn't walk up to her and start a conversation though. lol

You'd be very surprised! She's absolutely lovely to talk to and she's very funny. I'm really glad my friend made me introduce myself to her. :)

Stunning set, but prefer the colour over the B&W.

Thanks Andrew. The colour makes the most of her hair colour. I'm pleased with both. :)

I'm with Ian - she virtually merges with the background in 3 of them. I've checked on a couple of screens - is your monitor too bright?

Nope... Both of my monitors are calibrated. I've also checked them on my MacBook, two iPads and a Samsung Galaxy S6. I can see the edges on all of them.

Anything else wrong with them that I missed? ;)

Simon, with respect mate, they look fine on my monitors and other screens and more importantly, they look good to Kiria as well. If you don't like them, that's fine too. :)

Nope... Both of my monitors are calibrated. I've also checked them on my MacBook, two iPads and a Samsung Galaxy S6. I can see the edges on all of them.

Anything else wrong with them that I missed? ;)

Doesn't matter what expensive kit you you check them on, in this situation - black dress on a black background - to get separation from the background you need a kicker. You need to get the lighting right at the time of the shoot.

P.S. you are VERY defensive of any critique. If you just want smoke blown up your arse stick them on FB, if you want critique carry on putting them here and see what people say (you may learn something that helps you improve). Consider what they say, and then you can ignore what you don't agree with.

Doesn't matter what expensive kit you you check them on, in this situation - black dress on a black background - to get separation from the background you need a kicker. You need to get the lighting right at the time of the shoot.

P.S. you are VERY defensive of any critique. If you just want smoke blown up your arse stick them on FB, if you want critique carry on putting them here and see what people say (you may learn something that helps you improve). Consider what they say, and then you can ignore what you don't agree with.

That's refreshingly frank :)
I've taken to using the ignore button whenever folk post for critique but don't actually want it. Gawd knows how many ignore lists I'm on :)

*shrugs* You posted for critique, I'm genuinely trying to say something useful.

I didn't post for critique as such and to be fair, I don't mind it and I understand your points even if I'm obviously not seeing what you are. That's fine and everyone's different.

I posted the images to support the story that went with it... Not as a portrait set on their own.

I think you're a bit over-sensitive to my replies! ;)

I don't mind critique at all... that's how we learn. BUT (and it's a big but), I prefer to listen to people who actually know what they're doing (like Juggler obviously does). :)

Thanks for your input though. :)

I don't mind critique at all... that's how we learn. BUT (and it's a big but), I prefer to listen to people who actually know what they're doing (like Juggler obviously does). :)

Thanks for your input though. :)

You're new here, you've not seen my work, I suppose. I'm with Simon, ignore list for you, so goodbye from me.

ETA:
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/index.php?threads/Black-on-black.614119/

Good bye and good luck, hope the revenue protection engineering (whatever the f*** that is) works out for you.

Last edited:
You're new here, you've not seen my work, I suppose. I'm with Simon, ignore list for you, so goodbye from me.

ETA:
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/index.php?threads/Black-on-black.614119/

Good bye and good luck, hope the revenue protection engineering (whatever the f*** that is) works out for you.

You're a happy, friendly soul aren't you Ian?

New? I've been here a lot longer than you and I've seen your work. I'm guessing that maths isn't a strong subject for you along with photography! :rolleyes:

Goodbye to you as well and thank-you for your misguided input into my photos... I'll stick with my photography without any further rubbish from you and enjoy my Revenue Protection Engineering! (y)

Say what you like, I think they're really good photos of a gorgeous model. #6 is my fave by the way.
Like Adam, I'm not too keen on the "dirty miners hands" in #5 though.
And GT? Never judge a book by the cover.... although this book looks worth reading every page. (y)

Say what you like, I think they're really good photos of a gorgeous model. #6 is my fave by the way.
Like Adam, I'm not too keen on the "dirty miners hands" in #5 though.
And GT? Never judge a book by the cover.... although this book looks worth reading every page. (y)

Thanks for taking the time to comment Richard. :)

I'm definitely going to sort out those hands.. I'm happy with the rest of the images (despite the somewhat rude and negative comments from the aptly named 'Morbid' earlier. Kiria's coming in for another shoot this weekend so I'm hoping for some more images that she'll be happy with.

Best wishes,
Si

I am liking them, Si.

Fabulous striking model; looks like a great character and you have really done her justice

Colour shots work better than the mono - adds interest in the hair and ink. Saying that, however, I do like the drinking shot and think that works really well in mono - looks a touch more gritty and attitudey

I wasn't bothered by the hands - too busy thinking, 'fabulous dress!'

Cheers

Simon

I am liking them, Si.

Fabulous striking model; looks like a great character and you have really done her justice

Colour shots work better than the mono - adds interest in the hair and ink. Saying that, however, I do like the drinking shot and think that works really well in mono - looks a touch more gritty and attitudey

I wasn't bothered by the hands - too busy thinking, 'fabulous dress!'

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

It's good to hear from you. She's a great girl and she's been quite surprised at the amount of positive comments she's received from her friends over these pictures. She's coming over this afternoon with her other half and their little boy (who's the same age as my little girl) so we're going to make a weekend of it. Let the kids knacker themselves out and then the camera, lights, makeup and wardrobe will come out when they've gone to bed. :)

Best wishes,
Si

Back