Kite Surfing on a dull and windy day

Name
Steve France
Edit My Images
Yes
I ventured out to the back of the Island to catch some Kite Surfers, its was dull and very windy. I had to ay a towel on my bonnet and hide behind the car, leaning on the bonnet and still struggled....
kite_surfer_5.jpg kite_surfer_4.jpg kite_surfer_3.jpg kite_surfer_1.jpg kite_surfer_2.jpg

Name
Les
Edit My Images
No
Hi Steve, a tripod or monopod is a good asset -makes for shooting with a wider aperture / Slower shutter speed, to help nail exposure on the actual subject!

Looks like you exposed for the water, making the actual subject darker than it should be

I've a done a 2 min edit to demonstrate the difference that could be achieved in camera - which of course is preferable to using an editing Suite like Photoshop etc

Original:

Edit in Photoshop

Les :)

Last edited:
OP
Compuwight
Name
Steve France
Edit My Images
Yes
Les,

Thanks for the advice, must get this Photoshop methinks...

PS I have a cheap tripod and a good monopod, but neither would have helped on this day, gusty at 80mph I had trouble standing still and even the van was rocking !

thanks again, I will have a play with PS express (freebie)

Edit My Images
No
You were at my local beach :) I was out photographing the kitesurfers on Saturday. I often slightly over expose, as Les has suggested, although it's not always necessary.

If I'm using my Canon gear I tend to use a monopod. With my Olympus gear which is much smaller and what I tend to use more often these days, I go handheld. The wind buffeting is always a problem, as is the spray. I carry a small water spray bottle and cloth - camera is weather sealed!

The two kitesurfers you've captured are father and 15 yr old son - he does some huge jumps.

There are plenty of software options other than photoshop so it's worth researching before you splash out....

Name
Les
Edit My Images
No
You were at my local beach :) I was out photographing the kitesurfers on Saturday. I often slightly over expose, as Les has suggested, although it's not always necessary.

If I'm using my Canon gear I tend to use a monopod. With my Olympus gear which is much smaller and what I tend to use more often these days, I go handheld. The wind buffeting is always a problem, as is the spray. I carry a small water spray bottle and cloth - camera is weather sealed!

The two kitesurfers you've captured are father and 15 yr old son - he does some huge jumps.

There are plenty of software options other than photoshop so it's worth researching before you splash out....

What I said was to expose for the actual subject - in this case the surfers :)

Edit My Images
No
What I said was to expose for the actual subject - in this case the surfers :)
You are correct - sorry - in this instance it would have been to slightly over expose the rest of the scene to get the surfers exposed well.... which is what I often do :) I should have just left out the 'as Les has suggested' :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Name
Les
Edit My Images
No
You are correct - sorry - in this instance it would have been to slightly over expose the rest of the scene to get the surfers exposed well.... which is what I often do :) I should have just left out the 'as Les has suggested' :ROFLMAO:
Not a problem :ROFLMAO:- you are of course correct- by exposing for a dark subject the surrounding area ( sea) will of course be over exposed :)

However: This can be adjusted in post

like this

Last edited:

Nod

Krispy and Kremey
Name
Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry to Talk rather than discuss the actual shots but I noticed on a recent drive along the beach down at Exmouth (beach was pretty packed so stayed in the car) that there were a lot of hydrofoil type kite boards and a fair few with what appeared to be hand held kites/sails. Is this a fairly new thing or have I led a sheltered life for the past few months?

Edit My Images
No
Hydrofoils have been around a little while, but the wing foils are fairly new. Many years ago (c. 30years ) I remember a similar thing being used in a video on the Hood river. They didn’t take off then, if you’ll forgive the pun. They look rather ungainly to me.

The hydrofoils could potentially give you some nasty injuries. I watched someone struggling at my local beach recently. They need a certain depth of water to get started and he was getting trashed in the shore break as he kept grounding.