Kitley House Wedding - Ann-Marie and Darren

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I had a real blast at the weekend's wedding, photographing Darren and Ann-Marie.

Here are 6 photos of the day. As ever, I would love to hear your thoughts on things to consider to get better and new ideas to try out.

Kitley-House-Wedding-0007.jpg

Kitley-House-Wedding-0008.jpg

Kitley-House-Wedding-0010.jpg

Kitley-House-Wedding-0013.jpg

Kitley-House-Wedding-0015.jpg

6 Annoyed that I didn't consider the broad lighting on this, it was set for when it was only the bride, adding the groom caused me not to think properly..... oh well!
Kitley-House-Wedding-0017.jpg

Last edited:
2 and 3 are best. I think there is too much tilt in 3 but that's minor issue. The rest are OK, but not cover shots... 1. I'd shoot with something longer or at least f/1.4 and wait for better light. The sand has too many footprints. 4. Bushes are in the way and it is far too wide so you loose the couple as minor detail. 5. Again, the magnification is too low particularly at this preview size. 6. I think it needs further processing, potentially as BW. It would have benefited from wide aperture. her eyes are in shade which is disappointing.

1. Your problem there is that she's facing away from the camera and his face is in shade.

2. It's a good enough shot as it stands, but think how much better it would have been if having got this shot, you kept shooting as either you moved left or she moved right so that she was against that dark patch of background coming in from the rhs.

3. Nicely posed, one passable expression and one great one - but why spoil a good shot with that totally pointless tilt? Tilting a rigidly posed shot never adds anything to it unless you're an absolute master of your craft, and even then the reaction is often "WTF?". And you forgot to zap that flare.

4. If you'd shot that one landscape rather than portrait, the viewer wouldn't be assuming that the reason for the format choice is that you wanted to include that blue doughnut towards which the eye is drawn.

5. Nice enough for what it is - but she really needs to be on the rhs of that gazebo, facing into the picture. Your best bet with "offset" shots like this is to always have the subject facing into the picture.

6. Nice enough again, but you were doomed by The Dangly Bit. Nice enough moment, but it ends up being a bit "meh" AFAIC and I guess the reason why is primarily the lighting.

Your processing's all over the shop, and I'm wondering why. Maybe because you aren't finalising them as a batch (ie at the same time)? Or you keep going back to them and fiddling with the WB? Whatever the reason, you need to work on it - particularly on establishing the white point.

You seem to know the techniques well enough and you seem to be able to get a rapport going with your customers, but I suspect that you're still at the stage where you're going to a wedding with a headful of British Standard Wedding Photos and you're trying to perfect the taking of those. Just maybe you need to loosen up a bit? At your next gig, try doing your couple shots like you usually do, then say to them "OK guys, let's just do a few more. Try your best to forget about me poncing about with this big black camera, and try to forget that you're in fancy dress on your wedding day. Imagine you're just wandering round here together in your jeans on a nice Sunday afternoon ...". And see what you get from that.

BTW, we earned our living by shooting weddings for ten years and I can only guess what "broad lighting" is. And as always, my comments are purely from the POV of the professional wedding photographer who's aiming to encourage brides to book him or her rather than the next snapper ...

HTH some :)

Last edited:
Number 2 is a belter. Your work is getting better too. Nice one!!

Back