Knap nature reserve Devon

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
Nice varied set Andy. I particularly like the weevils and the crane fly.

The weevils and the sawfly seemed a tad dark to me, but it turns out that they both have long flat tails at the top end of the histogram going right up to the top, so the exposure for the highlights is spot on. It makes me wonder what diffusion arrangement you are using, whether having a bit more/different diffusion would even out the illumination and let you raise the overall light level without blowing out highlights. Just a thought - all guesswork (and personal taste of course). Could well be wrong.

Nice varied set Andy. I particularly like the weevils and the crane fly.

The weevils and the sawfly seemed a tad dark to me, but it turns out that they both have long flat tails at the top end of the histogram going right up to the top, so the exposure for the highlights is spot on. It makes me wonder what diffusion arrangement you are using, whether having a bit more/different diffusion would even out the illumination and let you raise the overall light level without blowing out highlights. Just a thought - all guesswork (and personal taste of course). Could well be wrong.

Thanks Nick. Here i was using a ring flash and trying out some different diffusers, all hand made. I have ordered a Yongnuo twin flash so i'm not putting in to much effort with my diffusion at the moment. Though i should.

Great set and finds.

Some crit, they look a tad over sharpened and too much contrast. As above have a play with adding some more diffusion materials to your flash.

What f stop you using?

Matt

Great set and finds.

Some crit, they look a tad over sharpened and too much contrast. As above have a play with adding some more diffusion materials to your flash.

What f stop you using?

Matt

Thanks Matt. Well i have just discovered how naive i am with Photoshop. When i Export my files and save for web, i haven't been adding the meta data. I was wondering why nothing never shows up in Flickr. What a dumb arse i am lol..Anyway i am still trying to get used to the MP-E so i have mostly been using f 14 - 16. Mostly hand held or with a monopod. I know F 5.6 is the "sweet spot" but i've been aiming for a larger DOF. I mainly alter highlights and shadows and a bit of clarity and sharpness but not much. Looking forward to my twin flash arriving and hopefully sort out the diffusion too which i know is a problem for me. Thanks for the feed back, all taken on board :)

i am still trying to get used to the MP-E so i have mostly been using f 14 - 16. ..... I know F 5.6 is the "sweet spot" but i've been aiming for a larger DOF.

I'd try f8/f9 , it won't be as diffracted then.

Indeed so. Remember that the effective aperture is the nominal aperture x (1 + magnification).

With the MPE the minimum magnification is 1, so if you are setting f/14 -16 on the lens, at 1:1 you are actually using f/28 -32. At 2:1 this would be around f/45 - 64. At full magnification of 5:1 it would be around f/80 - 96.

FWIW I like lots of DoF too. I routinely use the equivalent of f/28 on APS-C or (the same thing) f/45 on full frame. I think the processing I do helps to mitigate the loss of sharpness/detail (which is very significant at that sort of aperture).

In this post you can see a comparison between a shot at an effective aperture of f/22 an the same shot at an effective aperture of f/128.

Indeed so. Remember that the effective aperture is the nominal aperture x (1 + magnification).

With the MPE the minimum magnification is 1, so if you are setting f/14 -16 on the lens, at 1:1 you are actually using f/28 -32. At 2:1 this would be around f/45 - 64. At full magnification of 5:1 it would be around f/80 - 96.

FWIW I like lots of DoF too. I routinely use the equivalent of f/28 on APS-C or (the same thing) f/45 on full frame. I think the processing I do helps to mitigate the loss of sharpness/detail (which is very significant at that sort of aperture).

In this post you can see a comparison between a shot at an effective aperture of f/22 an the same shot at an effective aperture of f/128.

Did't know that. Very helpful knowledge. Thanks.

Back