Kodak Paper issue?

Matt

TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
I always use Kodak paper to print on, recently kodak bought out a *new improved* version of its premium paper, but i printed some stuff with it today and to my horror found that the Black and red inks 'crackle'on the paper. I tried the same shot on a piece of the old paper and it didnt do it. I mailed Kodak, will be interesting to see what they say.....

hhmm, I've always tried to stick with Ilford Gallerie for my decent prints and have never been let down yet.

I've found over the years that the only paper i can trust to give me decent results, is epson premium photo glossy paper.

I use it in my epson 950 (the ink slurper) with genuine epson inks :shock:

when ever i've tried other brands of both ink and paper in my printer it's resulted in poor colours and often the ink doesn't dry quick enough and makes a mess on the rollers, which then transfer the cr@p on to the image.

here is the comparision shot(the wife took the original shot btw, not me....)

sample.jpg

as you can see, fubar....[/img]

They both look a bit off, if you don't mind me saying so. :wink: Even the uncrinkled one has a very strong magenta cast.

I'll go with Steep on this one. I always use Ilford Galerie - available at a good price from 7dayshop. If your printer uses pigmented inks (most recent Epson) you'll need to use the Galerie Smooth range to avoid bronzing. With dye-based inks you can use either Smooth or Classic.

Although my printer is a Canon i9950, I know people who use the Galerie Smooth Gloss/Pearl with Epson printers including the 2100, and are very happy with the results.

HTH!

I don't like glossy paper, I've always found it hard to see the image behind the shine so I've tended to use satin/pearl finishes. Currently I'm using Gallerie Classic Pearl and find it works well with my Epson R200, it was also ok in the old 830U but you need to give it a couple pf minutes to make certain it's properly dry before handling.

What ink are you using, and printer?

I found Kodak paper gave poor results, washed out with dye based ink, however it did improve with pigment ink.

I now use Ilford gallery papers, and can't complain about the finished article.

im using Epson Durabrite ink in a CX6600, the shot is a bit red looking, though that might be more to do with the light i had pointed at the prints than the printer, i need to get the printer set right, i had a nightmare trying to print a blue rose out, i had anything from purple to blue

I don't know what software you're using, I find I get the best results when I use Elements 2 and colour management, setting the printer to use colour management also. That way I get print to come out nearest what I see on screen., I don't do a lot of editing in elements, but it's my best prog for printing.

I don't know if you've looked on Kodaks site. They recommend you download the easyshare software for printing with their papers.

CX6600 Printer settings for Kodak paper.

And for those using Ilford.

Matty the reason the ink is cracking is because it hasn't been absorbed into the paper.

The printer needs slowing down to give the paper a chance to absorb all of the ink.

Using the link from above, choose the right settings for your printer/paper and everything should be ok.

Good link Matt thanks, im confused though as to why, using the same settings, i got the fault on the *new imporved* paper but not on the old...i will try that though, i have easyshare, dunno if its any good though, i have photo software spilling out my HDD, Fuji, Canon, PS, PSP, Ulead, Serif, MS......time to delete stuff i think

I use to use Kodak also but got mixed results. My best results from my Canon printer was with Kodak Ultra Glossy but never got anywhere near that quality with any other Kodak paper. I like many here, now use Ilford when I need a quick print and get great consistent results. For more important larger prints I use Photobox’s professional service

Back