Captive Kookaburra at Hamerton Zoo

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

Looking for a bit of C&C the following were shot on Nikon D5000 with a Manual focus Orestor 135mm zoom lens. F11 and shutter speed was 1/160 to 1/400 change due to lighting changes.

Kookaburra. by Edward Welburn, on Flickr

Kookaburra 2. by Edward Welburn, on Flickr

These were taken at Hamerton Zoo, captive Kookaburra.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to link to photos on flickr you need to click 'share' and then get the BB link.

Anyway, both shots are underexposed and very soft, it's difficult to tell if that is because the lens is soft, focus is out or too slow shutter speed (or all three). Composition isn't great either although I understand you are limited with captive birds, you also need to be careful of having bright light on shaded subjects. In truth, I probably wouldn't have pressed the shutter button in this instance.

Why did you shoot at f/11? you want to get the shutter speed as high as you can and you're underexposed so more light would have been good.

I'll fix the Links when I get home, stupidly strict work pc's are hampering my efforts.

Thanks for the comments, Ill take them into account for future shoots, it was my first real attempt at animals and with the lens.
I was assuming with the f-stop, I was changing throughout the day, due to shadows, lights and general experimentation.

As for the softness I believe it was a combination of all the above that you mentioned, plus a small part of shaky hands and new lens experimenting, too me they did look in focus, something is off though, hence why I have asked for C&C
So going from this, I will need to compose my images better and ramp up the shutter speed and also change my aperture to let in more light.

Thanks again, it is very appreciated!

Back