Kos Island - A mixture

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Recently visited my mate that spends the summers on Kos island. Took the camera with my but could only fit a Manfrotto Pixi Evo 2 in the luggage, limiting some compositions. Also didn't have any filters with me (hand luggage only).

Due to space, I could also only fit a 24-120mm f4 lens in so couldn't get as wide as I would like on the astro shots. I found shooting the Astro Photography extremely difficult on the small island because it is surrounded by other Islands and Turkey, and there are no real 'dark' spots on the island. I only had a 24-120mm F4 lens with me so this was my effort.

Sunrise on Kos Island by Thomas Green, on Flickr

Kos sunrise - Portrait by Thomas Green, on Flickr

Kos Sunrise by Thomas Green, on Flickr

Sunset from Zia - Kos Island by Thomas Green, on Flickr

The Milky Way from Kos Island by Thomas Green, on Flickr

Stars over Kos. by Thomas Green, on Flickr

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
Brings back some good memories of past holidays on Kos. Especially no4, which is pretty close to a picture I took during at Zia (but yours is better!).

Thanks for posting.

No 4 definitely catches my attention

4 is really the sort of image you want to come back with from Greece. Very good execution.
There is another stong image inside it waiting to be taken - that's the lower left quarter if you had something longer.

1 and 3 look pretty good to me.

2 is asking for a little bit cleaner and brighter foreground and ideally longer exposure to deal with the ripples.

5,6 - I think these really need some strong anchor point. A white monastery perhaps? It won't be easy with f/4 lens. f/2.8 is already a big challenge.

4 is really the sort of image you want to come back with from Greece. Very good execution.
There is another stong image inside it waiting to be taken - that's the lower left quarter if you had something longer.

1 and 3 look pretty good to me.

2 is asking for a little bit cleaner and brighter foreground and ideally longer exposure to deal with the ripples.

5,6 - I think these really need some strong anchor point. A white monastery perhaps? It won't be easy with f/4 lens. f/2.8 is already a big challenge.

Yeah I agree, was at 120mm unfortunately and no opportunity to get closer really. A 70-200 would have been nice for that.

Agree about 2, had to get that hand held unfortunately due to only having the pixi with me. LE would have been nice there. Brightness wise, just didn’t want it to have a HDR feel.

5 and 6. Not 100% what you mean, could you possibly expand? Yeah f4 was difficult and they are definitely not the best Astro efforts that’s for sure.

5 and 6. Not 100% what you mean, could you possibly expand? Yeah f4 was difficult and they are definitely not the best Astro efforts that’s for sure.

If you have a look in the other thread with examples from Wales you will see what I mean. There has to be something interesting with the milky way sky above it. As it is night time and very dark it is easies to go for bright / white subjects, maybe even some gentle light painting to just bring it out a little.

With f/4 lens you are pushing it so far that there will be inevitably more noise and also long exposure times blurring out the stars. I am sure the sensor tech is catching up fast but probably not quite there except maybe the likes of latest sony A7S, etc. f/1.4 or even just f/2.8 lens will make it somewhat easier to do.

Back