KR800 - 3 diffusion layers

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
A third layer of diffusion on the new flash system - this is a curved piece of 129 Heavy Frost Lighting gel over the top of the packaging foam and polystyrene plate materials.

I just moved the heads back and forth and in one or two added a +1 increase in power and took the images.

In Lightroom afterwards, I just tweaked the shadows, clarity and contrast sliders, but did not alter any exposure levels.

This weevil started off asleep on the piece of stone, but over the few minutes I was taking the photos, it awoke and went for a bit of a wander...

Exif:
Copyright: Paul Iddon - A View of the UK
Camera: Canon EOS 70D
Exposure: Manual exposure, 1/200 sec, ISO 100, f/11

1024weevil1.jpg

1024weevil2.jpg

1024weevil4.jpg

1024weevil5.jpg

1024weevil6.jpg

1024weevil7.jpg

Paul.

This lighting setup looks as if it's showing a bit of promise Paul.(y)

I've found through a bit of experimenting with these light setups that one of the key things to do is to have some free space between the diffusion layers as it helps the light to spread out a bit before it hits the next layer. It gives considerably more diffusion than if the layers are touching each other.

I'm sure you already know that though mate, just trying to assist.

George.

I've found through a bit of experimenting with these light setups that one of the key things to do is to have some free space between the diffusion layers as it helps the light to spread out a bit before it hits the next layer. It gives considerably more diffusion than if the layers are touching each other.

George.

Cheers George - I will see if I can create a bit more of a gap where I can.

Paul.

in one or two added a +1 increase in power and took the images.

That's looking good Paul.

What power are you operating at with the two flashes, on the scale of 1 to 8 presumably? I thought you had found the maximum was not powerful enough with two layers, but I think I must have misunderstood. I hope so, because if you were running out of steam with f/11 then I'd have no chance with f/22 - f/32.

That's looking good Paul.

What power are you operating at with the two flashes, on the scale of 1 to 8 presumably? I thought you had found the maximum was not powerful enough with two layers, but I think I must have misunderstood. I hope so, because if you were running out of steam with f/11 then I'd have no chance with f/22 - f/32.

There are 8 settings, and the default is number 4 out of the box. So for one or two (can't remember) it would have been on number 5, possibly 6. Certainly not seven or eight though!

Paul.

Definitely gap between layers I dome my layers to get the effect eg loosely tape them to flash.

Looking good though I shot same weevil from the top and think it suffered as not enough light getting to under side of weevil.

(y)

Definitely gap between layers I dome my layers to get the effect eg loosely tape them to flash.

Looking good though I shot same weevil from the top and think it suffered as not enough light getting to under side of weevil.

(y)

Cheers Bryn - certainly happier with these.

Paul.

Looks good Paul.

George.

Thanks for the info. Will keep this in mind as I continue to experiment.

Back