"Lady in red" - "spotty" one added 20/12

Edit My Images
Yes
Too snowey to go outside! So back to the droplets!

Lady In Red by AshMashMash, on Flickr

Set up shot:

Halloween.jpg

Set up info (skim if you don't care!)
Lighting: 2 Jessops 360AFD flashes on 1/16th power lighting up an 3mm acyrlic board which relfects in the water. Triggered by an infrared trigger flash fired manually via the shutter button.

Exif: 1/200 exposure in a darkish room, F/11, ISO 100. Shot with a Canon 60mm Macro lens.

Drops: water, blue food dye and rinse aid in the pan. Water, red food dye, bleach and rinse aid in the drops.

Last edited:
AWESOME. You are just so good at these now! (y)

Thats fantastic !!

Can I ask how long and how many tries it took to capture that ?

AWESOME. You are just so good at these now! (y)

Thanks so much Barney :)

Thats fantastic !!

Can I ask how long and how many tries it took to capture that ?

Thanks! Of course you can. I did 2 colour schemes this afternoon - the other scheme is for another day's processing when I am bored. With this colour I did 140 photos and got 9 "keepers", ie 9 nice shots which I would be happy with. And chose this one as my favourite. So about 1/16 shots are good'uns this afternoon.

Still the master I see!

I havent done macro for aaaageess now :-( been to busy doing other bits.

Once my new site is set back up I should be having a few new pics in here!

Fantastic, if not already i'd seriously think about selling these.
Can see this on an office wall or a waiting room somewhere, they would definately get more eye time than some landscapes !

Still the master I see!

I havent done macro for aaaageess now :-( been to busy doing other bits.

Once my new site is set back up I should be having a few new pics in here!

Hehe, thanks Robbio :) Yeh you've not been around here much lately!

Fantastic, if not already i'd seriously think about selling these.
Can see this on an office wall or a waiting room somewhere, they would definately get more eye time than some landscapes !

Thanks Graham! I am considering it, but wouldn't know where to start?

Can I ask exactly what type of arcrylic board you have between the flash heads and the basin of liquid? Is it opaque to allow light through but not to cause glare in the shot?
Reason I ask is I always fire the flash 90 degrees (left or right) to the camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it makes me sad. Been doing portraits and setting business up etc so no time :-( but I am making a lil money now ;-) lol

Nice one :eek:

Can I ask exactly what type of arcrylic board you have between the flash heads and the basin of liquid? Is it opaque to allow light through but not to cause glare in the shot?
Reason I ask is I always fire the flash 90 degrees (left or right) to the camera.

It's 3mm white acrylic, mostly opaque, but thin enough for flashes to shine through :)

er stunning! :clap:

Ty!

Thats a fantastic shot mate.

May I ask would a very strong light work rather than flash?

Chris

Thats a fantastic shot mate.

May I ask would a very strong light work rather than flash?

Chris

Thank you!

Definitely not is the answer... the flashes, when set to 1/16th power, are equivalent to a shutter speed of about 1/10,000th of a second when done in a darkened room (ie the only thing hitting the censor is the moment during the flash). Even with the brightest possible light you could only get a shutter speed down to 1/4000 or maybe 1/8000 with most cameras... and the light would have to be blinding!

That's a saleable picture!

Maybe! Something for the future perhaps :)

Thanks for the advice re the light. I have the same flash as you but only one. I have a Nikon D90 do you know if I could fire this flash remotely?

Chris

Thanks for the advice re the light. I have the same flash as you but only one. I have a Nikon D90 do you know if I could fire this flash remotely?

Chris

The jessops flashes are good quality in my opinion, and these sorts of pictures are certainly do-able with one flash! Turn the nob on the flash to "S" rather than "off" (not the on/off switch, the similar looking one to the right), and press the "Mode" button until it shows 1/16 or 1/8. That's the Slave mode. Then use your camera's flash as a master flash to fire the slave (jessops) flash remotely. If you set the camera flash right down to -2 or whatever the lowest value is, you shouldn't get too much "forwards" light and it should still fire the Slave flash. (y)

Cheers mate I appreciate this. Will give it a try & let you know how I get on.

Chris

ahhhhhhhhhh.... <sighs>

that is just so brill Ash!

Been practising just getting the timings with a drop of water, from about 18-10cm in the kitchen sink, over the last couple days... not a collision as yet

gonna work my way up to a collision :p

incredible shot - well done you :clap:

would so love to be able to do that!

Hehe, thanks Robbio :) Yeh you've not been around here much lately!

Thanks Graham! I am considering it, but wouldn't know where to start?

You are welcome to a gallery on my site, I have two local guys set up already. I do this for free and take no commision. You can set pricing and profit yourself. It is set so you get email notification of any sales and I provide monthly statements. I get more traffic and get more recognition for good quality stock photography. Drop me a pm if you are interested ...

http://www.photologue.co.uk/showcase

ahhhhhhhhhh.... <sighs>

that is just so brill Ash!

Been practising just getting the timings with a drop of water, from about 18-10cm in the kitchen sink, over the last couple days... not a collision as yet

gonna work my way up to a collision :p

incredible shot - well done you :clap:

would so love to be able to do that!

Thanks so much! I use a higher height of about 30-40cm. You need suprisingly fast drip rates to get collisions... Hope you get some!

You are welcome to a gallery on my site, I have two local guys set up already. I do this for free and take no commision. You can set pricing and profit yourself. It is set so you get email notification of any sales and I provide monthly statements. I get more traffic and get more recognition for good quality stock photography. Drop me a pm if you are interested ...

http://www.photologue.co.uk/showcase

Just had a look... very interesting indeed! :thinking: What do you gain from it then?

stunning. I just dont have the patience nor all the kit

Patience... perhaps. Equipment? All you need is one external flash (£70 from Jessops) and you're away! The rest is bottles, tubing, a wooden spoon, a plastic box, a cooking tray... I used a white board I had in the house for a backdrop previously... it's very un-technical!

Stunning image, can I suggest that you clone out the small red spot in the bottomleft corner?

Just had a look... very interesting indeed! :thinking: What do you gain from it then?

I have no target for making noney in the first year, all our development and hosting costs were paid up front, I still have my full time job therefore I do not need to make money at the moment. What I get is extra traffic through the site, that helps establish the site and the "brand", it also helps with search engine rankings. Lastly, it helps us get event bookings as people see good quality and diverse work on the site. My smoke art pictures, humble as they are, have had a lot of hits so I believe your work would sell. It is a pleasure for me to feature other quality work.
No pressure, it is an open offer, you can see the results then judge if you are happy or if it gives you the confidence to get your own site up and running you can pull the gallery at any time. I would offer this to anyone on this forum producing work of this quality but unsure how to get started, as we host through zenfolio, orders are automatically processed and posteed, therefore it takes no labour from me once I have made the gallery.
I have recieved a lot of help from this forum so nice to offer something back.

Fantastic stuff mate, not done much macro recently and never done a collision shot , I really need to read the tutorials on these and give it a whirl ;)

The jessops flashes are good quality in my opinion, and these sorts of pictures are certainly do-able with one flash! Turn the nob on the flash to "S" rather than "off" (not the on/off switch, the similar looking one to the right), and press the "Mode" button until it shows 1/16 or 1/8. That's the Slave mode. Then use your camera's flash as a master flash to fire the slave (jessops) flash remotely. If you set the camera flash right down to -2 or whatever the lowest value is, you shouldn't get too much "forwards" light and it should still fire the Slave flash. (y)

Hi Ash

Gave this a try this morning & it works. Thanks a million for telling me about this. Droplets here I come.

Chris

At it again then Ash!! Very nice as well.
I have tried so much to get a good collision manually, it just will not happen for me.
My technique is very very bad, so I have a gizmo coming fron the states.
So look out Ash, I will be up with you soon :D

Ooooh, which particular gizmo did you go for? I'd really like to play around with a gizmo of some sort and perhaps get some pictures nearly as good as the likes of Corrie and VisualAssault on Flickr... but money is an issue. Perhaps next year after I qualify :)

Can't wait to see some! (And thanks :))

I have no target for making noney in the first year, all our development and hosting costs were paid up front, I still have my full time job therefore I do not need to make money at the moment. What I get is extra traffic through the site, that helps establish the site and the "brand", it also helps with search engine rankings. Lastly, it helps us get event bookings as people see good quality and diverse work on the site. My smoke art pictures, humble as they are, have had a lot of hits so I believe your work would sell. It is a pleasure for me to feature other quality work.
No pressure, it is an open offer, you can see the results then judge if you are happy or if it gives you the confidence to get your own site up and running you can pull the gallery at any time. I would offer this to anyone on this forum producing work of this quality but unsure how to get started, as we host through zenfolio, orders are automatically processed and posteed, therefore it takes no labour from me once I have made the gallery.
I have recieved a lot of help from this forum so nice to offer something back.

Very intruiging! I'll drop you a PM when I get a moment (y)

Fantastic stuff mate, not done much macro recently and never done a collision shot , I really need to read the tutorials on these and give it a whirl ;)

You do! Go give it a go :)

Hi Ash

Gave this a try this morning & it works. Thanks a million for telling me about this. Droplets here I come.

Chris

Ah brilliant! Another person hooked then I see :naughty:

Great shot as always :clap:

Ash as you know I have a Mumford Time Machine, great timing device that it is. Well eariler this year I contacted Bryan to see if he could make a solenoid drop gizmo to work with the timing device, with some help from me he has acieved this and that is what I will be using as soon as it gets here.

Back