Critique Ladybower Reservoir

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Had an evening ride to Ladybower Reservoir in the Peak District last night after work with @Pegasus and we decided to walk around to shoot from the other side. So after a little adventure down a shear drop we found a safer place to get down. Waited for the waters to calm a little in the hope of some better reflections. Quite a nice evening all in all, even if there was a lack of cloud detail.

#1 - Taken whilst waiting for Robin to arrive. I guess i struck lucky with the timing. Liked the shot as i felt it put the vastness of their surroundings into perspective.

A Long Days Fishing
by David Raynham, on Flickr

#2 - Still a little ripply

Ladybower Reservoir

#3 - It's behind you!

Ladybower Reservoir

#4 - Moved a little further down. Calmer waters were now upon us

Ladybower Reservoir

#5 - By the time we'd made it back to the bridge it was dark enough for a few stars to be captured

Ladybower Reservoir

#6 - Back at the car i spotted this shot which i quite liked

Ladybower Reservoir

Thanks for looking and would love some C&C.

Cheers.
David.

1. Nice light and exposure. Shame the water isn't still and it looks leaning. The people are the bottom would work well but are a bit squeezed at the bottom. It just looks poorly executed. Not your usual standining
2. You've said it, a bit riply. Not sure if the branch adds anything or not
3. Nice idea, but the sillhoutte is a bit strong
4. Great image, but imagine the light of 1 in this. But I am sold on it.
5. Good night image and I like it
6. Under exposed, 5 you've cracked it, here no.

You gettin about Dave. Is there anyhting you can not photograph well ?

Like the images and liked the crit from the first poster as I would not have picked up on any of that :-(

Gaz

Right, made a few alterations and edited a few more.

#7 - Flashing Lights

A light dusting of Autumn...

#8 - Hopefully this feels less flat than the original?

Ladybower Reservoir

#9 - I have given the fishermen as much room as i could. The foreground was on an angle so i had 'straightened' it to level this out. I made the bridge look a little off so i have left the shot alone and just pulled the left hand corner only down in PS. Any better? I shot it at 70mm to remove some messy foreground furniture and weeds hence the tight framing.
(is that enough excuses? :D )

A Long Days Fishing

#10 - Wish the water was calmer at this point.

Ladybower Reservoir

Ladybower Reservoir

Thanks for looking.
David.

Right finally got here... still not looked at mine from a PP point of view..... Ill get to them soon as I can and post my humble efforts up, It was a great meet for the first time and hopefully we will be doing again in the near future, lots of laughs and we occasionally shot the odd image.

I agree with Steve, No 7 is cock on as they say round here (and probably other places), pick of the bunch for me. Though I do like number 5

Robin

Number 1 is the only one really engaging me. It's true that the fishermen are too far to the bottom of the frame, and there is too much empty space between them and the reflection of the viaduct, but the light is great and it does tell a story. The others fall a bit flat. Clear skies are always difficult to work effectively, so I think you did the right thing by hanging around until the stars appeared but I feel there needs to be some lighting on the turret to separate it from the background, even if I'm not that keen on artificial illumination. I feel most of these pictures are too wide and lacking strong focal points to understand what you're trying to show. It may be worth trying a longer focal length if you visit again.

I always enjoy viewing your threads David, this one being no exception - lovely stuff! Personal favourites from this set are 3, 5, 8 & 9 (y)

Back