Laggan reservoir sunrise reflections

Name
Alastair
Edit My Images
Yes
Having decided not to go out the other morning when the fire alarm went off at 5:30 in the house we are staying in I decided that I may as well go out, and I am glad I did.

Laggan reservoir at sunrise by Alastair Begley, on Flickr

In hindsight I would have liked a slightly wider angle, but I was constrained by primes and the edge of the lake. C&C very welcome and encouraged.

Al

Great shot, Nice light and reflections
Only criticism is that you called it a lake....shame on you! :LOL:

Lets all praise the fire alarm :D

Its fab, near perfect reflection and great light.

It's a lovely reflection with some lovely light. I find the right hand side quite cluttered though and I think this unbalances the image. I'd crop down between the green bush and the dormant tree to simplify things, making it a squarish crop. I think this would tidy up the composition and draw more attention to that lovely light on the hilltops. The tree touching the top (and bottom) of the frame is an easy fix, clone away the very top most 4 or 5 parts of the tree to give it space or just add a narrow band of sky by making the frame bigger and cloning over the extra space.

Can I go against the grain! The larger tree (2nd from right) for me is getting lost and blends in too much to the background. I like the reflections and the distance mountains but that one tree just draws me away from all that.

Great photo!! Perhaps it may have worked better in a square format to allow more sky in the frame - but you may have had to work with a wider lens to have been able to achieve that

Last edited:
It’s a nice shot, I feel like there is too much going on though for me. As someone mentioned above, it feels unbalanced.

I struggle to see whether the real focus is the reflection or the mountains, but my eyes keep going to the mountains. I wonder if a lower perspective may work better.

This would look even more stunning in Autumn.

Beautiful, you've already identified its a fraction tight top and bottom. If going to print you could sort this in Photoshop. Although more space given in the field specifically to the top of the frame would balance negative space bottom left well.

Lovely exposure and colours.

Nice shot

Back