North England Lake district advice

Name
peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok middle of march me and the mrs with 3 little dogs in tow are going to the lake district with our caravan.
We are stopping just below Windermere At Haven Lakeland as it worked out a cheap base camp.
The Mrs has MS so we are not wanting any long or arduous hikes.
Looking for some suggestions on where to visit and see whilst up there please.
Ideally we will not want to drive more than a hour at a time but if it's just somewhere with a little to see etc. we can see and then carry on again etc if that makes sense.

Hodge Close Quarry is interesting and quite accessible from the car park without having to walk too far. Some of the path down into the quarry itself is a little steep so maybe not ideal (could judge when you're there) but there is plenty to see from up high. Nearby there is also cathedral caves. You can drive very close to them but nearest parking places are about 500 yards away but you maybe could drop other half off and go and park.

Otherwise, I guess you're pretty spoilt for choice. Plenty of nice lakeside areas to explore, waterfalls, wildlife, pubs. Depends what sort of thing you fancy.

Tarn Hows is also nice with well made-up paths and a short-ish walk around a small lake. lovely views all of the way round with forest / woodland and views over toward the Conniston fells too

Hodge Close Quarry is interesting and quite accessible from the car park without having to walk too far. Some of the path down into the quarry itself is a little steep so maybe not ideal (could judge when you're there) but there is plenty to see from up high. Nearby there is also cathedral caves. You can drive very close to them but nearest parking places are about 500 yards away but you maybe could drop other half off and go and park.

Otherwise, I guess you're pretty spoilt for choice. Plenty of nice lakeside areas to explore, waterfalls, wildlife, pubs. Depends what sort of thing you fancy.
Tarn Hows is also nice with well made-up paths and a short-ish walk around a small lake. lovely views all of the way round with forest / woodland and views over toward the Conniston fells too

Thank you both :)
I often drop her off close to somewhere then go park up also I go pick her up after.
she does do quite well with walking as long as we just take a slow pace which is no problem at all.

And £6 in the National Trust car park and they have blocked off any other free parking.

Go over Kirstone pass, there are great views all along, it's a lovely run. There is an easy walk along the far side of Brothers water and carry on to Patterdale and Ulswater, loads of lakeside parking (free :) )

Blea Tarn is a pretty easy walk, and Langdale is always worth a visit. There are also good paths around Skelwith Force and it's a short walk but try to get parked just as you turn off the A593, because that is a more-or-less level walk, the path down from the car park a bit further along may be a bit steep.

The road up the east side of Coniston Water is a good run and offers several chances to stop lakeside.

just a thought whats the general terrain like as I could always take her mobility scooter with us if it will be usable ?

You can drive very close to the top of Latrigg, near Keswick. It's a while since I have been but from memory I think the flat path along the top to the end will take a scooter.
With fair weather you get a great view of Derwentwater, Skiddaw, (behind you) and plenty more.

The great thing with that area is there's so many amazing views easily accessible from roadside parking, and which aren't known as photo hotspots. It's often a case of seeing a path up little hills/knolls and taking a look, or having interesting conditions and being lucky enough to have a layby nearby. I've found Little Langdale/Wrynose to be productive for a bit of opportunism, Newlands too. With Langdale there's the classic Blea Tarn which is easily accessible and Side Pike might just be ok (it's a short walk if you can park at the cattle grid just below, but a bit of scrambling required near the start). Rydal Water and Grasmere aren't a long drive and both very accessible and picturesque, and the suggestion of Ullswater is a very good one. Derwentwater excellent too.

Blea Tarn is definitely doable with a mobility scooter, just a bit uneven through the first gate, but doable and fine after that.
The miles without stiles link posted above is a good shout, and all the bookshops have a little guide book called Easy Miles, No Steps, No Stiles for under a tenner.

Just be careful at Blea Tarn as the terrain from the short distance from the path to the side of the water is currently very boggy and from memory often is very boggy.

The short drive up to to Ashness Bridge and Surprise view looking over Derwent and over to Catbells etc is very easy with parking at both locations within yards of the views.

You can drive and easily park within 100 yards of Castlerigg Stone Circle too and I have wheeled my mother in her wheelchair their in dry weather. Lovely place to sit and just take in the 360 panorama.

well I had a great time thanks all for the advice the one unfortunate was the trip to hodge close quarry as it was massively flooded :(

well I had a great time thanks all for the advice the one unfortunate was the trip to hodge close quarry as it was massively flooded :(
Are you tall king about the two pits never the car park area? When I was there in November one side was flooded (I gather that’s normal) but the tracks were still visible on the right side. It was possible to walk through the left side but water was pouring down from above.

Are you tall king about the two pits never the car park area? When I was there in November one side was flooded (I gather that’s normal) but the tracks were still visible on the right side. It was possible to walk through the left side but water was pouring down from above.
yes i am you really could not walk through anywhere down there I have seen other pics of the holes and not seen the water level anywhere near what i saw
I would say the water was somewhere near the red line ive drawn
hodgeclose-n5130.jpg

Last edited:
Back