North England Lake District Lakeside Sunset

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I’m up in the Lake District this week and I was looking for some good sunset lakeside location recommendations, this evening and tomorrow evening are forecast to be showery so I’m hopeful of some good conditions.

Thanks for any help

Have a look at The Photographer's Ephemeris. It is free for PCs and will tell you all you need.

Dave

Have a look at The Photographer's Ephemeris. It is free for PCs and will tell you all you need.

Dave

Thanks Dave, yes I have that and use it, I was just looking for anyone with local knowledge for access areas really, driving around there are some lovely views over the lakes but they don’t appear to be accessible I.e parking and access rights.

Everyone does the Ashness Jetty on Derwent Water, sunrise at Blea Tarn, Sunrise at Buttermere (although it lights up better at in the evening). Evening reflections (if it is still at Wastwater).

Morning at pretty much anywhere on Ullswater will be nice and there is Rydal too.

I would shoot there more but Scotland is better and I live 1hrs drive from Glencoe so I spend me time there.

Last edited:
Depending where y

ou are in the lakes? im assuming you are near Keswick or ambleside?

Derwent water
head out of Keswick down the eastern side (borrowdale road) halfway ish there is a national trust car park Park here and walk accros the road and then head left along the shore for 5 minutes or so will get you to the jetty

alternatively on the same road take the first proper left signed ashness bridge. 1/2 mile up go over the really tight ashness bridge - literally 1 car wide - just past it is a small car park - think its free after 6pm
When I was there a few weeks ago you should be able to shoot above the bridge looking down onto derwent water with the sun setting slightly left

alternatively go another 1/2mile on from Ashness bridge to a small car park on the left . oposite is Surprise view point, great view over derwent water towards Skiddaw and keswick. Sun will set midway down the lake on the left. time it right as it drops behind catbells and you get a nice sunburst. Can miss this as when you turn the bed you will see a people standing just off the road waiting for sunset

Rydal water between Grasmere and Ambleside not seen this at sunset
parking is on the main road between the 2 places is white moss car park - charges apply and ANPRs your car on entry follow signs to the lake, you will be on the western end walk anti clockwise round the lake (cant go clockwise unless you shoot form the pavement on the road) the southern bank is all open until you get towards the eastern end where there are woods, go through the gate at shore level and follow the sure will lead you to the view accross to the boat shed, could get some nice light but wasnt there at sunset
If you continue towards ambleside past the Badgerss pub there is a turn over a tight humped stone bridge to under Loughrigg on the right. go over the bridge and turn right and park on the right by the fence- no charge and then carry on walking up the road for 5-10 minutes brings you to rydal water at the eastern end

Wastwater, park as soon as you can on the right and shoot up the lake bit of a trek to and from if keswick/ambleside way especially if you are not wanting to brave the 1 in 3 Hardknot pass in the dark

Coniston
Down the eastern side about half way is a jetty, can park opposite it next to a gate - space for 2 or 3 cars. south to north its just past where there are logging works. north to south there is a car park which is 5 minutes walk.

There is another jetty at the norther end on the same road close to the junction with the main road with a car park, park in the car park and walk down the path 200 yds or so. I found this full of boyracer mobiles and 30 kids partying each night on the jetty when we were there and it was 27C

hope thats of help

Depending where y

ou are in the lakes? im assuming you are near Keswick or ambleside?

Derwent water
head out of Keswick down the eastern side (borrowdale road) halfway ish there is a national trust car park Park here and walk accros the road and then head left along the shore for 5 minutes or so will get you to the jetty

alternatively on the same road take the first proper left signed ashness bridge. 1/2 mile up go over the really tight ashness bridge - literally 1 car wide - just past it is a small car park - think its free after 6pm
When I was there a few weeks ago you should be able to shoot above the bridge looking down onto derwent water with the sun setting slightly left

alternatively go another 1/2mile on from Ashness bridge to a small car park on the left . oposite is Surprise view point, great view over derwent water towards Skiddaw and keswick. Sun will set midway down the lake on the left. time it right as it drops behind catbells and you get a nice sunburst. Can miss this as when you turn the bed you will see a people standing just off the road waiting for sunset

Rydal water between Grasmere and Ambleside not seen this at sunset
parking is on the main road between the 2 places is white moss car park - charges apply and ANPRs your car on entry follow signs to the lake, you will be on the western end walk anti clockwise round the lake (cant go clockwise unless you shoot form the pavement on the road) the southern bank is all open until you get towards the eastern end where there are woods, go through the gate at shore level and follow the sure will lead you to the view accross to the boat shed, could get some nice light but wasnt there at sunset
If you continue towards ambleside past the Badgerss pub there is a turn over a tight humped stone bridge to under Loughrigg on the right. go over the bridge and turn right and park on the right by the fence- no charge and then carry on walking up the road for 5-10 minutes brings you to rydal water at the eastern end

Wastwater, park as soon as you can on the right and shoot up the lake bit of a trek to and from if keswick/ambleside way especially if you are not wanting to brave the 1 in 3 Hardknot pass in the dark

Coniston
Down the eastern side about half way is a jetty, can park opposite it next to a gate - space for 2 or 3 cars. south to north its just past where there are logging works. north to south there is a car park which is 5 minutes walk.

There is another jetty at the norther end on the same road close to the junction with the main road with a car park, park in the car park and walk down the path 200 yds or so. I found this full of boyracer mobiles and 30 kids partying each night on the jetty when we were there and it was 27C

hope thats of help

Thanks very much for this most helpful, I did the Coniston jetty last night (a lovely place)and will be heading to Derwent this afternoon.

Back