Lake District Late Autumn

Name
Stuart McGlennon
Edit My Images
No
Hi folks - had a relatively productive period the past few weeks in the Lakes, here's a few recent ones in very contrasting conditions. The first one from Dore Head is one i've been looking to do for a quite a while as it's got a lot of potential but quite a walk to a very remote area, i'll definitely be returning though.

The Buttermere/Elterwater ones are a bit low-hanging fruit but it's a lovely place if you can get the right conditions. The last one was earlier this week when winter landed a wee bit early for a day and the temp dropped to about minus 5:

Outpost by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

Elterwater Dawn Panorama by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

Mirror Mirror
by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

Twin Peaks by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

Sub Zero by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

2,3 and 4 are utterly sublime Stuart. Nothing wrong with the others but they don’t pull the heart strings like these 3

I’d go far to say that 2 is the best shot I’ve seen of yours and arguably the best shot of the Lake District area to date.

Last edited:
Gorgeous set. I think the first and last are my favourites, because I prefer the compositions, althoughI love the reflections and light in the middle three.

It looks awesome. The middle three stand out as the best ones. Really excellent work.

Last one I think could get a panoramic treatment. The bottom bit doesn't quite do it for me.

First one is a solid image but it doesn't quite have the same wow factor like the next 3.

another good set but its twin peaks for me

lovely set there

2,3 and 4 are utterly sublime Stuart. Nothing wrong with the others but they don’t pull the heart strings like these 3

I’d go far to say that 2 is the best shot I’ve seen of yours and arguably the best shot of the Lake District area to date.

Gorgeous set. I think the first and last are my favourites, because I prefer the compositions, althoughI love the reflections and light in the middle three.

Excellent landscape photography

all great
234 for me

It looks awesome. The middle three stand out as the best ones. Really excellent work.

Last one I think could get a panoramic treatment. The bottom bit doesn't quite do it for me.

First one is a solid image but it doesn't quite have the same wow factor like the next 3.
Thanks though with the last one there's too many distracting bits left and right out of shot for it to be panoramic hence the 5x4

I follow your stuff on Instagram Stuart so have already seen all of these but they are truely fantastic, well done.

Superb, 1-4 for me with #4 being my favourite.

Fabulous stuff Stuart - I particularly like 1 and 3.

3+4 for me, but awesome work all round.

great set

All great, but particularly 1 and 3 for me

another good set but its twin peaks for me
Thanks folks

Excellent collection.

There is something that doesn't quite work in No 4 for me. It's something to do with the composition - with the stream and the little larch plantation being so central but the larger plantation being off to the right. I feel that visually I'm being pulled around the image by competing elements. It doesn't have the serenity that 2,3 and 5 have.

Great stuff Stuart, showing yer class there.
Cheers Scott much appreciated
Fantastic set - as usual. 3 & 4 for me are outstanding.
Thanks very much
Excellent collection.

There is something that doesn't quite work in No 4 for me. It's something to do with the composition - with the stream and the little larch plantation being so central but the larger plantation being off to the right. I feel that visually I'm being pulled around the image by competing elements. It doesn't have the serenity that 2,3 and 5 have.
I think you might be right, it might have worked as a wider panoramic stitch to take the emphasis off some of those elements although having tried this approach with this shot the last time it's a nightmare to correct distortions etc and the odd shape the shoreline creates
Simply stunning!
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks a lot

All very nice Stuart the last is my fave

Cracking images, some beautiful light too.

Fantastic set of images 3+4 my favourites. 4 particularly for the vibrant colours and the reflections.(y)

First and last convey different views altogether, the middle set are captivating with the gorgeous light.
So much to see in No1, I keep returning to it.

I love number 1 and 5. Some lovely light in each. You can almost feel the cold through the screen from 5.
2 is very pleasant also but 3 and 4, although lovely shots and very well rendered, I feel I have seen 100 times before.

Cracking images, some beautiful light too.

Fantastic set of images 3+4 my favourites. 4 particularly for the vibrant colours and the reflections.(y)

First and last convey different views altogether, the middle set are captivating with the gorgeous light.
So much to see in No1, I keep returning to it.

I love number 1 and 5. Some lovely light in each. You can almost feel the cold through the screen from 5.
2 is very pleasant also but 3 and 4, although lovely shots and very well rendered, I feel I have seen 100 times before.

Cheers folks - @RichieTee completely agree regards 2/3/4 hence the low hanging fruit comment, very pleasant to stand and look at while there but not exactly original/difficult to craft

Really strong set Stuart.

The second is wonderful.

The third and fourth I really like the light and processing on the hillside, but the yellow/sepia tone in the clouds is a bit much personally.

The final shot I love, it is a really nice composition, probably shot just the right time of year to have that nice colour contrast with Skiddaw red and the cold blue. I think maybe what @LongLensPhotography might be saying is something that crossed my mind, which is if cropping something of the bottom would improve it further.

Really strong set Stuart.

The second is wonderful.

The third and fourth I really like the light and processing on the hillside, but the yellow/sepia tone in the clouds is a bit much personally.

The final shot I love, it is a really nice composition, probably shot just the right time of year to have that nice colour contrast with Skiddaw red and the cold blue. I think maybe what @LongLensPhotography might be saying is something that crossed my mind, which is if cropping something of the bottom would improve it further.
Thanks Craig - I think you've mentioned to me about warm tones before, the shots were taken very close/just after sunrise and haven't been processed that way as such as there was still quite a lot of colour in them at that point, can only think its more the WB being a hair warm than anything

Back