North England Lake District

Edit My Images
No
I've decided to go to the lake district in the 2nd week of October and I'm looking for some advice on where to stay.

I've never been there before (I can't believe it!) but plan to do as much photography/hikes as possible. Ideally I'd like to stay in a village/small town where there are some restaurants/pubs for meals and that is short drive to most places. As an example when I go to North Wales I always stay in Betws-y-coed which is ideal.

Any advise on must see/photo locations also appreciated :)

Thanks

Keswick would be your best place to start, some quite affordable B&Bs and very orientated for catering for visitors in the centre.
Plus one of the nicest lakes barely half a mile away.

See you there. We’re off up there at that time. :D Keswick, as posted above, is a good shout. Nice town, places to eat and decent coffee shops. You’ve Cat Bells and Skiddaw nearby and Derwent Water. Loads and loads of nice walks just a short drive away. You won’t be short of walks or things to photograph, that’s for sure. Be prepared for the ‘special’ weather The Lakes gets. :p

Thanks for the replies all, I'll try to find somewhere nice in Keswick to stay, if I fail to find somewhere what would be a good 2nd choice?

See you there. We’re off up there at that time. :D Keswick, as posted above, is a good shout. Nice town, places to eat and decent coffee shops. You’ve Cat Bells and Skiddaw nearby and Derwent Water. Loads and loads of nice walks just a short drive away. You won’t be short of walks or things to photograph, that’s for sure. Be prepared for the ‘special’ weather The Lakes gets. :p

I'll be sure to say hello, special weather ahh... chance to test the weather sealing on the A7RIV then! I'll be sure to take a backup camera :)

Plus one of the nicest lakes barely half a mile away.

And which one is that? :)

Actually looking forward to going there now.

The lake district is a bit more compact than Snowdonia so you never have far to travel from where ever you stay. Coniston village is a bit smaller and a bit less busy than Ambleside, it has a few good pubs which do food and as with anywhere in the lakes has loads of walks and loads to photograph.

The lake district is a bit more compact than Snowdonia so you never have far to travel from where ever you stay. Coniston village is a bit smaller and a bit less busy than Ambleside, it has a few good pubs which do food and as with anywhere in the lakes has loads of walks and loads to photograph.

The drive from Coniston to Buttermere or Ambleside to Wastwater isn’t exactly short. Still a big place to get around.

Coniston to Ambleside is 20 mins and you can call in at Hodge Close or Tarn Hows on the way. Coniston is nearer to Wast water than either of Ambleside or Keswisk are, hour an a bit through Little Langdale and over Hardknott.

The OP asked for an alternative to Kewsick, I was trying to be helpful...

All booked for Keswick, thanks everyone.

I'm also stopping at Betws-y-Coed North Wales for 3 nights on my way back to Pembrokeshire so will be getting plenty of hiking and photography in.

Dog And Gun pub in Keswick. Nice food and beer, goulash is bloody lovely.! Java Coffee on high street for a nice cuppa. Chippy at top of street is good as well.

(y)

Thanks so much, always good to have recommendations on places to eat & drink :)

Well I'm making my travels to the Lake District tomorrow and in typical my luck fashion, the weather looks terrible and I've hurt my knee and physio has taped it up to help.

So although don't intend that to stop me, just in case I'm now looking for some recommendation on places to visit if (a) weather is really bad (b) that doesn't involve overly difficult hikes

Pick up a copy of ‘photographing the Lake District’. There are usually copies in Booths in Keswick. It will give you ideas for place to go. Just stay away from the cliche places (Derwent jetty, ashness bridge etc) that are shot far too much.

The drive from Coniston to Buttermere or Ambleside to Wastwater isn’t exactly short. Still a big place to get around.

I was going to say that. It can be quite a drive, especially if it’s busy, as there aren’t many roads in the middle and the other places are bit of a drive away. I would personally say to stay around the Keswick/Buttermere area or maybe Ulswater rather than venturing over to the Langdale/Coniston/ wast water. The days aren’t yet as short as they are at the end of the month but you don’t want to be spending hours in the car driving between places.

Dog And Gun pub in Keswick. Nice food and beer, goulash is bloody lovely.! Java Coffee on high street for a nice cuppa. Chippy at top of street is good as well.

(y)
Laura in the lakes is good for coffee and cake too (y)

Pick up a copy of ‘photographing the Lake District’. There are usually copies in Booths in Keswick. It will give you ideas for place to go. Just stay away from the cliche places (Derwent jetty, ashness bridge etc) that are shot far too much.

I was going to say that. It can be quite a drive, especially if it’s busy, as there aren’t many roads in the middle and the other places are bit of a drive away. I would personally say to stay around the Keswick/Buttermere area or maybe Ulswater rather than venturing over to the Langdale/Coniston/ wast water. The days aren’t yet as short as they are at the end of the month but you don’t want to be spending hours in the car driving between places.

Laura in the lakes is good for coffee and cake too (y)

Cheers Rob, I'm staying at the Highfield Hotel in Keswick as that area was suggested by a few.

Nice reminder about "photographing the lake district" as I have a copy, bought it a couple of years ago and didn't get around to going.

I just had a look as Laura in the Lakes, mmmm cake :)

Just wondering, are there any good wildlife spots nearby, maybe Red Squirrels, Deer or Hides to hire/use?

If the weather is terrible and my knee is killing me that could be an option :)

Last edited:
Just wondering, are there any good wildlife spots nearby, maybe Red Squirrels, Deer or Hides to hire/use?

If the weather is terrible and my knee is killing me that could be an option :)

The walk around Aira Force by Ullswater is very good for red squirrels. Go out early as I've never seen one at busier points of the day, they're shy animals. Swirls by Thirlmere is meant to be a good spot but I've not seen any there despite waiting for hours!

There's so many options for landscapes in that area, sometimes in the Lakes it's a case of driving between locations and you see amazing light illuminating a valley and have to stop. In wet conditions I'd probably be focussing on smaller scenes like fallen leaves in a tarn or waterfalls but keep an eye out for rain showers coming in if you can frame them over a dramatic view. I'll be up there the first week of November, never know what to expect!

Back