Lakenheath Fen - Recommendation of areas to photograph birds please

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm planning (weather permitting) a trip to RSPB Lakenheath Fen over the weekend and after recommendation on areas of Lakenheath Fen where I'm likely to get a good view of birds.

In particular I'm after bearded tits and bittern which have been spotted there.

After going to a couple of RSPB reserves and being disappointed at the acres of beautiful land and seeing nothing (but hearing lots) I thought I best ask for recommendations.

Any help much appreciated.

Kinobe

Thanks for that @Box Brownie

I'm planning on going early (before it opens) but wondering can you get in before it actually opens?

Last edited:
New Fen viewpoint and Trial Wood viewpoint is good for marsh harriers, bitterns, and bearded tits. You want to be there around sunrise. There is a salt pan where the bearded tits will go for which is very close to new fen viewpoint so spend some time there and pray for your luck.

Joist viewpoint is another great area for marsh harrier and bitterns. You may be able to see the crane but they are far away and not worth photographing.

Lakenheath is one of my most productive RSPB reserve and good luck.

Thanks for that @Box Brownie

I'm planning on going early (before it opens) but wondering can you get in before it actually opens?

You can get into the reserve before the centre opens, I think the gate at the entrance opens at dawn - I was there at 7 on Saturday and I wasn't the first one there.

Thank you for the responses, very helpful. I ended up going both Sunday/Monday just gone. Early get up on Sunday arriving at sunrise and two cars already in the carpark. Met a couple of photographers/birders who guided me around to where most of the action is happening. Ended up walking to the New Fen Viewpoint followed by Mere hide in the hope of seeing bearded tit. I could hear bitterns booming and saw a fair few whitethroat, a heron flew past and could hear reed warblers. I'm one for getting clean shots and it's fairly tricky at Lakenheath Fen but had a better day (got to see my first bearded tit) on Monday even though the weather was overcast.

A few shots:

Massive crop but glad I got to see my first bearded tit.
Bearded Tit (Panurus biarmicus) by Edymobeel, on Flickr

Bittern:
Bittern (Botaurinae) by Edymobeel, on Flickr

Pied Wagtail:
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba) by Edymobeel, on Flickr

Back