Lamb to slaughter time ...

dlh

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
... aka another critique request :LOL:

Here's my attempt from the Modern World theme "The Modern World at Your Fingertips".

the%20modern%20world.jpg

It was intended to show that in the modern world, anything and everything is now available from your desktop - just one quick search away. I think I can see that the cursor is a little distracting and I could have done with increasing the dof to get the screen fully in focus (focus was fixed on the keyboard).

What, in your very humble opinions, could I have done to improve this shot?

Thanks all :)

I do get the impression of what you're trying to achieve, and I can see the title through the image.
A good interpretation I think.

However, I have a couple of suggestions which would make it more pleasing to *my* eyes, and would emphasise "The Modern World at your Fingertips" for me (because as you know critique is very subjective, no one is right or wrong ;))

The first thing I would do is let in a little of the surrounding of the monitor. I see no definition, only what it is displaying, and for me that seems false.
Same goes for the keyboard, but it's just too out of view to be evident.
And finally, the same for the mouse in the foreground (I am assuming it is a mouse).
I think it would work slightly better if you could see the definition round the edge of the monitor, and the keyboard and more importantly the mouse were in view and part of the shot. For me the blurry mouse is quite distracting. It's there, I can't stop looking at it, but really, there is nothing there to look at.

But then again, take what I say with a pinch of salt, as I didn't even see the cursor until I read your description :D

Kind Regards, and I hope this is the sort of comment you were hoping for.

Thanks for your comments Bod :) All input is most welcome.

And yes it is a mouse :LOL:

i like the idea of this shot, cant see anything massively wrong with it either!

As above, plus a slightly higher viewpoint would help.
You need masses of depth-of-field for this type of thing - one reason studios still use 5x4 and 10x8 cameras for this sort of thing. The ultra-long exposures required to get the necessary DoF means that digital is unsuitable because of the 'noise' generated with such long exposures.
The best we could get out of the NIKON D1x was 17 seconds before noise starts becoming evident - OK for most subjects, but here, where detail is critical, it's unacceptable.

You will have to use some other light source other than the ambient light from the monitor - another reason studio pack shots take such a long time - 90% setting up, 2% shooting and the rest for packing away and drinking tea!

Thanks for your comments guys :)

I think I achieved what I set out to do and in the end I think that's all that any of us can do. I am happy with the shot, but of course I also appreciate that art is very subjective :shock:

I was tempted to reshoot and change the DOF and add some more lighting, but that would have meant having to tidy my desk :LOL: Instead I'll move on and take on board all that's been said.

Many thanks once again :)

Back