LAMB TORTURED AND BLINDED BY TWO BOYS

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51559550

How disgustingly evil are that pair.

They have the potential to turn into Thomson and Venables types.

It certainly has shades of the older case that you mentioned......................what on earth triggers that sort of activity and why were there girls watching and laughing.....are they equally at risk of perpetrating more heinous acts against people! :mad::mad::mad::mad::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat:

You may recall Lord of the Flies. William Golding had a good grasp of how uncivilised adolescents can be if not supervised properly.

This side to human nature has always been with us and sadly always will be.

I was talking to someone just yesterday, aged 92, relating a story of how when she was a girl her dog was drowned by youths who threw the dog into a pond and every time he got out they threw him back in again until he drowned. This has stayed with her all her life and as an animal lover I've been unable to get that story out of my mind. The fact that some can do things like this is sickening but perhaps more understandable if there's more than one involved as they feed off and egg each other on. Instances of one lone person doing things like this are perhaps even more worrying.

What do we do with offenders though?

I do agree that maybe there's a problem with parenting in some cases. Some cases though may be instances of budding psychopaths who'll turn out as they will regardless of any parenting.

Us human are not unique in our cruelty though, look what animals do to each other.

This side to human nature has always been with us and sadly always will be.

I was talking to someone just yesterday, aged 92, relating a story of how when she was a girl her dog was drowned by youths who threw the dog into a pond and every time he got out they threw him back in again until he drowned. This has stayed with her all her life and as an animal lover I've been unable to get that story out of my mind. The fact that some can do things like this is sickening but perhaps more understandable if there's more than one involved as they feed off and egg each other on. Instances of one lone person doing things like this are perhaps even more worrying.

What do we do with offenders though?

I do agree that maybe there's a problem with parenting in some cases. Some cases though may be instances of budding psychopaths who'll turn out as they will regardless of any parenting.

Us human are not unique in our cruelty though, look what animals do to each other.
I think that this type of cruelty is, sadly, limited to humans.
There are a few species of animals (I can only think of stoats, foxes and cats) that are in their nature surplus killers, all the others that I know of kill only to survive. Humans are far worse. Leaving aside this type of case, the cruelty involved in mass production of meat is pretty inexcusable.

Well, without thinking too much how about the most intelligent, how about apes?

They commit rape and murder and I suppose acts of war as they band together and attack and kill and even eat members of other groups.

Elephants are another intelligent example. I remember reading about a series of attacks on rhinos. It was initially a mystery until an elephant was filmed making a sustained, unprovoked and ultimately deadly attack on one. Even my sisters dog "murdered" a nest of chicks for fun before he could be stopped, it clearly was fun as he didn't attempt to eat them.

I think to believe that it's only us and animals don't is wishful thinking. We are after all just animals.

Farmers used to shoots crows etc and hang them on a fence as a deterrent, maybe they should do the same with little *****?

They rarely do it for fun though
We don't know that.

Nobody has any certain knowledge at what point brains evolve the capacity for abstract thought. Nor do we know how abstract thought evolves to interact with the pleasure centre. Therefor we can only guess from observation whether or not animals are deliberately inflicting pain to give themselves pleasure. Although some people claim that cats playing with prey are not being cruel (they say this is just a hunting strategy) there can be no certainty in such a claim at the current state of our knowledge.

Figaro Yawning 7293.jpg

I think that this type of cruelty is, sadly, limited to humans.
There are a few species of animals (I can only think of stoats, foxes and cats) that are in their nature surplus killers, all the others that I know of kill only to survive. Humans are far worse. Leaving aside this type of case, the cruelty involved in mass production of meat is pretty inexcusable.

...........but there is no other species on the face of the planet that tries to stop other species becoming extinct.

The original incident in this thread is very, very sad though.

...........but there is no other species on the face of the planet that tries to stop other species becoming extinct.

The original incident in this thread is very, very sad though.
I'm not sure how relevant that is, because extinction of species is usually due to economic reasons, not to deliberate cruelty. Some people do try to prevent species from becoming extinct but the human race has caused a large number to become extinct. According to Wiki "At least 571 species are lost since 1750 but likely many more. "

They commit rape and murder and I suppose acts of war as they band together and attack and kill and even eat members of other groups.

Elephants are another intelligent example. I remember reading about a series of attacks on rhinos. It was initially a mystery until an elephant was filmed making a sustained, unprovoked and ultimately deadly attack on one. Even my sisters dog "murdered" a nest of chicks for fun before he could be stopped, it clearly was fun as he didn't attempt to eat them.

I think to believe that it's only us and animals don't is wishful thinking. We are after all just animals.
There are always examples of non-typical behaviour, especially when the animals are in a pack, that's a given - but I really do feel that most of the deliberate cruelty is carried out by humans, not by other animals that kill only to survive.
And as for rape, I believe that one human in 8 has DNA that traces back to Ghenghis Khan, and he and his descendents wiped out virtually all enemies.

Using animal behaviour to explain why some children torture and kill animals is fallacious.

Animals do not commit rape and murder. These are legal terms attributed only to human behaviour. Animals are not subject to codes of morality and empathy, but humans are and they may vary according to culture / stage of civilisation (and upbringing).
If children commit murder etc. then they have failed to acquire the normal morality and empathy that is found in the overwhelming majority of the population. Why that comes about is usually a matter for deep investigation. Nevertheless they are evil.
Children that torture animals are clearly at risk of being on the road to harming people and pose a danger (e.g. who would leave a child that is known to have tortured an animal alone with a baby or an infirm person or an animal).

We don't know that.

Nobody has any certain knowledge at what point brains evolve the capacity for abstract thought. Nor do we know how abstract thought evolves to interact with the pleasure centre. Therefor we can only guess from observation whether or not animals are deliberately inflicting pain to give themselves pleasure. Although some people claim that cats playing with prey are not being cruel (they say this is just a hunting strategy) there can be no certainty in such a claim at the current state of our knowledge
We cant therefore claim the opposite either but we can say that generally animals kill for survival.

We cant therefore claim the opposite either but we can say that generally animals kill for survival.
Yes. As do humans.

Generally. It's comparatively rare for any animal to kill for "fun".

Rational, normal humans shoot birds for the table as much as for fun.

She didn't. She always tried to eat what she killed - it was us that wouldn't let her (if we spotted her with prey. IF...) She was more likely to bring a mouse in alive and let it go.

Rational, normal humans shoot birds for the table as much as for fun.

???

Rational, normal human beings go to the supermarket for food.

Those that shoot to 'put it on their table' are hardly doing it to survive and do it in the main for 'sport'.

Last edited:
In response to the website I posted, we tend to 'love' dolphins as humans but they are incredibly dangerous!

I have seen dolphins attack people and 'swimming with dolphins' can be incredibly dangerous - they do kill for fun and do it quite painfully. (Mainly other sea animals)

Last edited:
???

How do they think their food died? Does it become more acceptable when someone else does the killing in an abattoir, or fish suffocate aboard a trawler?

Those that shoot to 'put it on their table' are hardly doing it to survive and do it in the main for 'sport'.

These are not incompatible.

???

Yes, it makes sense to go to the supermarket for food, that we we avoid all contact with the mess, blood and suffering.

And yes, those who shoot game birds are doing it for sport. Pheasants aren't native to this country and are bred specifically for the gun - hosting driven pheasant shoots can be extremely lucrative - and the normal arrangement is that the gun (shooter) gets to take away one brace of birds, the rest are usually left to rot, although they are often given away to anyone who wants them, so not all are wasted.

I don't have any problem with shooting, it's a very humane method of dealing with pest species, but when I do it it's through necessity, I take no pleasure from it - I get my shooting pleasure from shooting hard to hit, fast moving artificial targets - clay pigeons.

Yes, it makes sense to go to the supermarket for food, that we we avoid all contact with the mess, blood and suffering.

And yes, those who shoot game birds are doing it for sport. Pheasants aren't native to this country and are bred specifically for the gun - hosting driven pheasant shoots can be extremely lucrative - and the normal arrangement is that the gun (shooter) gets to take away one brace of birds, the rest are usually left to rot, although they are often given away to anyone who wants them, so not all are wasted.

I don't have any problem with shooting, it's a very humane method of dealing with pest species, but when I do it it's through necessity, I take no pleasure from it - I get my shooting pleasure from shooting hard to hit, fast moving artificial targets - clay pigeons.

Love 'my clays' but couldn't bring myself to shoot anything living - if I had to I would be vegetarian!

Back