Lancaster Dirty Pass

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
At RAF Coningsby today, the BBMF took off to Transit South for the Weekend Airshows.

The Lancaster did a quick Practise Display albeit a bit high, here is a Flybye with Wheels and Flaps Down.

1002 by pelliott1954, on Flickr

1001 by pelliott1954, on Flickr

Regards Paul

154 Views and not a Single Comment, I didn't think they were that Bad!!

Oh Well,back to the Drawing Board.

154 Views and not a Single Comment, ...

Seems to happen to me too.

Not an expert on such shots but for my two pennorth, #1 is just ok for me. Decent exposure, decent sky but a bit central in the frame.

#2 - I would be happy with that. Like the comp, the angle of the plane in the shot and the capture of the props. Particularly like the light on the upper and lower parts of the fuselage - really makes the plane stand out from the b/g.

Seems to happen to me too...
Get used to it - you're not that special.
It won't be the first time and it won't be the last time it happens..
There's nowhere that says that everyone who looks has to post a comment.
If you're posting images just to get "ooh...nice photo" type comments that stroke your ego, then you're posting for the wrong reasons.

Last edited:
If you're posting images just to get "ooh...nice photo" type comments that stroke your ego, then you're posting for the wrong reasons.

I think that this comment is uncalled for. I look to the comment at the top of the page from the Mods

"We all thrive on comments and critique from each other, that's what makes this community so special!."

I don't post to get 'ooh... nice photo'. I post in the hope of getting some comments which may indicate that I am on the right lines or, if not, how I can improve.

Sorry Paul if my comments have started to take your thread in an unproductive direction.

I think that this comment is uncalled for. I look to the comment at the top of the page from the Mods

"We all thrive on comments and critique from each other, that's what makes this community so special!."

I don't post to get 'ooh... nice photo'. I post in the hope of getting some comments which may indicate that I am on the right lines or, if not, how I can improve.

Sorry Paul if my comments have started to take your thread in an unproductive direction.

Agree with Alan on this. If I look at a post I always try and leave a comment, even if it is a nice photo comment. Not all of us take photos and expect them to be perfect so it's always nice to get either critique of them or just a nice comment.

On the back of that seeing as I'm not a critique or trying to be. I like the shots #1 just needs some sky to the right to add to the movement. But other than that Nice photos. :D

I'm not too fussed on negative comments either unless they're informative so i also agree with Alan. I'm a newbie on here and such comments will make me feel hesitant to post photo's and i will go elsewhere.
Back to the point..i think the photo's are good, especially the second one which has also been commented on with regards to the light top/bottom of the fuselage.

Guys,

Can we please keep the comments in here about the photograph?
There's a live critique discussion ongoing in Forum Discussion at the moment - it's something that we do take seriously and all your views on it would be very welcome there.

And Phil - that was totally uncalled for.
I don't see any suggestion at all that Paul was only looking for 'great shot' type comments.
I only read into it that he was hoping for some feedback, like anyone else putting photos up for crit . . . and no there isn't a rule saying that people must comment when they look but it is what the community here is all about.

Well well well, What have I started here? I haven't seen any of this until alerted by a PM from a Member a few minutes ago.

What a Strange comment from Phil, telling me to "Get used to it you are Not that Special"

Please tell me Phil exactly where I said or intimated I was Special, no you can't can you, because I didn't nor ever would, the reason??....Because I know I am not!!! I am a relative Novice, Certainly when compared to someone who has a "Couple of 1 Series Bodies"!!!

However, you have given me a bit of a Laugh, by the Way, How is the Cricket going???

Regards Paul

I was going to leave this as it was but seeing that I've been instructed to reply by a mod in another thread, I will do as asked.
I wasn't aware that there was a requirement to respond to moderators - that their decision was final etc, etc...
...And Phil - that was totally uncalled for.
Was it? Really?
I thought I was pretty spot on.

I know I have threads on here with no comments and even less views...it's not a big deal and I'm not going to bump them after two hours, two days, two months, two years - or any amount of time just so that someone can make a comment.
I don't need to beg for comments or need that validation.
I post to share them, not because I need comments.
That said, if someone wants to say something, the door is open... W I D E open.
There could be any number of reasons why no one commented from the simple fact that people didn't like them to that they slipped off the page and disappeared into the ether.
You know what - it happens.

To appease my curiosity, why is it that the OP should be the only person on the forum who has images people haven't commented on.
What makes him so special?

The point I was making is that it is not unique and it happens to ALL of us at some stage.
It's just the way it is.

I don't see any suggestion at all that Paul was only looking for 'great shot' type comments.
I only read into it that he was hoping for some feedback, like anyone else putting photos up for crit . . . and no there isn't a rule saying that people must comment when they look but it is what the community here is all about.

This post

is not saying that at all.
It's the post of someone who didn't get told how good their photos were and needs validation of the fact, and, when they don't get it, storms off.
He may as well be saying "Oh...they don't like my photos - woe is me"
Just because they're of an iconic plane, which incidentally, I would kill to see, that's all they are - photos of a plane.

Now seeing you want feedback on the two pics here goes.
This is my opinion and that's it an opinion.

They are two pics of a plane. OK, so it's a Lancaster - an icon of the skies and WWII - probably, alongside the Spitfire, the saviour of Britain. That doesn't make the pics any better or worse.
I know that maybe hard to swallow.
They're OK, but that's it - just OK.
There is nothing that makes them outstanding - if there is, educate me and tell me what I'm missing.
I have seen better pics of Lancasters, and also worse.
Some on this forum, some on others.
In both pics, there's enough prop blur to give the impression of them spinning, but there could have been more.

The second shot is cropped too tight - the wheel is too close to the bottom of the frame and there's not enough of the starboard engine for my liking.

All of that means nothing, because if the OP likes them, that's all that matters and what anyone else thinks counts for zero.

Last edited:
Well at least we can agree on one thing - I don't like the response.
If I'm completely honest, I think the lady doth protest too much and that just comes across as somebody who's a little bit bitter that they've had posts go without reply in the past.

That's not why I don't like it though.
My issue is that it goes against the ethos of TP on numerous levels :

We pride ourselves on being a friendly and welcoming forum and that isn't the way that I'd expect to see new members being introduced to the critique sections. If a new member breaks forum etiquette then by all means, steer them in the right direction (all too often in these cases it's the way that something is said not WHAT is actually said that makes the difference) . . . or better still if there's something fundamentally wrong with their behaviour RTM it and let a mod deal with it. Far too many people are trying to moderate members themselves at the moment and it's never going to end well.

There is nothing special about Paul, in the sense that he's being treated differently to anyone else. Yes, posts slip down the page without comment but we would very much like that not to happen. The critique sections are the life blood of the forum and we would like to see every post acknowledged even if it's to tell the OP that they need to up their game, which is precisely why we have the unanswered posts search.
Nothing at all wrong with someone giving their thread a nudge after a couple of days either - in fact, we have the "bump your threads" thread to encourage people to actively seek out critique if their thread has gotten lost.
Of course, nobody's under any obligation to participate in either of those but it IS a fundamental part of the way we do things so there's not much point in berating members that choose to do so.

Whinging after a couple of hours or flouncing off if they don't like the critique is something else entirely and I have personally pulled people up on that in the past.

This post

is not saying that at all.
It's the post of someone who didn't get told how good their photos were and needs validation of the fact, and, when they don't get it, storms off.
He may as well be saying "Oh...they don't like my photos - woe is me"

:shrug: You're reading something entirely different into Paul's comment to what I and a number of other posters are seeing. I'm really not reading it like that at all.
And even if your interpretation had been correct, that still doesn't excuse the tone of your reply. No excuse for rudeness on the forum, and as I already said if there's a real issue with someone's behaviour that's why we have the RTM button.

I rather like the capture of the first one. OK it's central in the frame but as Alan said a couple of days ago, it's a good exposure and it intrigues me - I don't remember seeing too many photos of the BBMF Lanc with its wheels down! (y)

Well at least we can agree on one thing - I don't like the response.
Well, I did predict that.

...If I'm completely honest, I think the lady doth protest too much and that just comes across as somebody who's a little bit bitter that they've had posts go without reply in the past...
That can't be a serious statement.
It's so far off course, it's in a different county
For the record, I really couldn't give two hoots...

...that isn't the way that I'd expect to see new members being introduced to the critique sections...
I don't look at a person's post count or when they joined before making a comment.
If I'm going to make a comment, I don't care when they joined.
One post or 10,000 posts - it makes not one iota of difference.
I won't sugar coat comments just in case they may not like what I say just so their feelings won't get hurt.
I didn't know that new members are only supposed to get nice feedback.
At what time period or post count is somebody considered not a new member?

There is nothing special about Paul, in the sense that he's being treated differently to anyone else.
Precisely what I said at the start.

No excuse for rudeness on the forum...
Wasn't being rude.
What I was being was honest and not politically correct.

Last edited:
Wasn't being rude.
What I was being was honest and not politically correct.

No, you were being rude. Now stop being so condescending in your replies and either be more respectful and pleasant when you post, or don't post at all.

That's not open for discussion or debate.

Back